Advertisement
5 Reasons to Never Work with Live Electricity

5 Reasons to Never Work with Live Electricity

It’s good to have a certain amount of fear when working as an electrical contractor. Having no fear can lead to being careless and carelessness can lead to serious injury or death. A good electrician will shut off a power source, test to make sure that the power is off and then STILL treat the wires as if they’re hot. Too many electricians have been hurt or killed because they were careless or rushed while on the job.

Both AC and DC electrical lines can cause a range of injuries and levels of shock. The severity of the shock depends on the path of the current through the body, the amount of current flowing through it and the length of time the body remains in the circuit.

A voltage as low as 50 volts applied between two parts of the human body causes a current to flow that can block the electrical signals between the brain and the muscles. The exact effect is dependent upon a large number of things including the size of the voltage, which parts of the body are involved, how damp the person is and the length of time the current flows.

At high voltages, you don’t even have to make direct contact with charged equipment to be shocked because an electric field surrounds all charged devices. Bringing a conducting object – such as a human body – into that field can intensify the field enough for an arc to jump from the equipment to the earth through that person. Even solid materials such as rubber, which is an excellent insulator at low voltages, is subject to electrical failure if subjected to a high enough field.

In the U.S., the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) establishes safety and clearance guidelines for all types of electrical workers. According to OSHA, a construction worker exposed to 1 mA of electrical current might feel only a tingling sensation. Anywhere from 6 (mA) to 16 (mA) is referred to the “let go” zone, when a person still has the ability to remove himself or herself from the source of the electricity. Beyond 17 (mA), the victim will be unable to let go and damage to the respiratory system and other internal organs is likely to begin. Beyond that point, death is possible.  Here are several very good reasons to never work with live electricity.

Electrical Shocks

Electrical shocks can be as harmless as touching a doorknob after walking on carpet or deadly as being caught in an arc flash. However, enough static electricity can cause a fire or explosion when it builds up in or near an explosive atmosphere (such as in a paint spray booth).

Electrical Burns

Electrical burns are the most common shock-related, nonfatal injury. They occur when a worker contacts energized electrical wiring or equipment, occurring most often on the hands and feet. When an electrical current passes through the human body it heats the tissue along the length of the current flow. Deep burns may require major surgery and can be permanently disabling. Burns are more common with higher voltages but often occur from domestic electricity supplies if the current flows for more than a few milliseconds.

Loss of Muscle Control

Workers who receive an electric shock often get painful muscle spasms that can be strong enough to break bones or dislocate joints. This loss of muscle control often means the person cannot let go or break the circuit. The electrician may fall if they are working at height or be thrown into nearby machinery and structures.

Thermal Burns

These burns are caused by contact with objects thrown during the blast associated with an electric arc. The blast comes from the pressure developed by the near instantaneous heating of the air surrounding the arc and from the expansion of the metal as it is vaporized. The pressure wave can be great enough to hurl people, switchgear and cabinets considerable distances. It can stop your heart, impale you with shrapnel, blow off limbs, cause deafness, and cause you to inhale vaporized metal. The hurling of molten metal droplets can also cause thermal contact burns and associated damage.

Electrocution

Electrical workers who survive electrocution rarely regain their former quality of life. Despite immediate medical attention, electrocution can leave a person with brain injuries, nerve damage, heart problems, permanent organ damage, vision, speaking and hearing defects and bodily disfigurement from serious burns.

Death from being electrocuted usually results from fatal effects on the heart, severe external and/or internal burns or other organ damage.

Bottom Line

There is no iron-clad rule as to what level of voltage will kill or seriously injure a person because of all the variables involved on every job, but playing fast and loose with live electricity is the best way to find out in the most personal way possible. If you do find it absolutely necessary to work with live electricity, it’s a good idea to have a friend nearby who is trained in CPR.

10 Comments

  • Kelly Guido Gomez says:

    We follow a standard that keeps us a live a electrican, but most don’t understand the hazard that come with our line of work, I believe our rule come from past fetality, it sad but we most live by these rule if it ain’t safe don’t do it and make it safe! This the first day of safe days please be safe out there! Don’t want to ready about another fetality! Wear your PPE, pay attention to you arc flash lable, watch for that hazard ready to strick you just cause you can’t see it doesn’t mean it ain’t there!

  • Donald W. Kane, PE says:

    One does NOT survive electrocution….it is always fatal.

  • sam says:

    1 reason to work hot: not having to shut down the store just to remove a bolt on breaker. i was nervous the first time but this time was a walk in the park. if you’re hands are shaking, DONT do it! but hey, ya gotta learn sometime. of course, a little personal protective clothing and gloves are a good thing. (or i should say, would have been a good thing. at least i wore gloves and glasses! but it just popped right off too, i didn’t have to pry or force it)

  • Eric Black says:

    Electrocution implies death.

  • Timothy Fitzpatrick says:

    Just google electrical burns and you will have no questions. If the juice don’t get you the stress will so if you can shut it down. The cemetery is full of heroes we don’t need more.

  • John cantrell says:

    I believe in safety, but on some things it has to be asked. In the following scenario this is what I do.
    At times, I am asked to go into busy offices full of secretaries at desks, and I have to check the overhead lighting there. Now, in a perfect world, I would probably be coming in there after hours, when no one is there.
    If I had to a change a ballast, you can shut down power do your thing.
    But I do not live in a perfect world, and have to do it when everyone is there. My solution here in just this particular case it to work it hot, because I will take the line leads to the ballast, one at a time, unscrew the wire nut, remove the lead to the ballast, and put the wire nut back on the incoming lead. Then go to the second one and do the same thing. Takes all of five minutes to do, and the leads are covered and safe.
    Now I can take the ballast out, pop the new one in, wire it up, then at the last step take the two power wires, and one at a time, holding the leads well back from the ends, put the wire nut back, then take the wire nut off the other one and repeat the same procedure.
    In this way the job is done quickly, only one light is out while I am working on it, and I have not put one half or one whole office in the dark while I work on it.
    I have been an electrician for almost 30 years, and have a healthy respect for electricity, but I suspect that there will be many who will reply to the above procedure as foolhardy, but in this very isolated case, I think I must disagree.
    I would say that it is not a procedure that I would want a rookie doing, or one that does not have total concentration when he does something, but one who has done electrical work for a long period of time should be able to complete this task with no problems. I know many electrical people will preach total safety no matter what, but I suspect in a case like this, it is done more than many of them will admit.
    But what do you think?

    • Gary says:

      One should use a ballistic connector today
      You can buy a box of them code require to have them any way now
      They are cold contact plugins
      No messing with wire nuts

  • Jolanza says:

    70 amp 3 phase male and female connections 6′ cords attached to naval commercial kitchen. Angry sailor swabbing the decks rips out the 70amp twist lock feeding a large flat grill. He destroyed the face of the female plug. He then attempted to plug the grill back in. In doing so he bent the male prongs. The only prong that survived was the ground. He plugged the ground into a 277 volt and left. I place one hand on the grill top and one on the nicely grounded metal sink. I did a dip in the gymnast world.i hung there for what seems like minutes. I could taste the fillings in my teeth. My co-worker was able to push me off with a 2 by 4. I was at the mercy of the 70 amp 3 phase 480/277 electricity. Lack of safety enforcement during military preparations.

  • Jolanza says:

    Wake up..when you are in a residential, commercial, or industrial situation the employees are engaged in tasks. Even when work is active where you are to work. Shut off and ground your circuits, and any within your “safety zone”.

Leave a Reply to sam Cancel reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.