Cable management at pull points - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Structured Wiring

Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By Suncoast Power
  • 2 Post By steve@neoitsvcs.com
  • 1 Post By AK_sparky
  • 1 Post By ponyboy

Old 12-20-2016, 03:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14
Default Cable management at pull points

Does anyone have a good solution for managing significant amounts of cable at pull points along the run? I have a fiber project that is going to require 6 or 7 pull points along the run and I really don't have the overhead to have someone just standing there watching the cable on the floor. I was thinking about adding 2 uprights to a sawhorse and then just dressing the cable back and forth between them. The problem is I'm wondering how the cable is going to pull the horse. Normally I have enough of a crew to manage the slack on the floor but this one is SUPER thin on the margins. One of my partners in another part of Ohio got hurt on a job and needed some help getting this done. I don't think he bid it correctly but I'm in a pinch helping him. He has helped me in the past in a pinch so I feel the need to return the favor.
steve@neoitsvcs.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2016, 04:33 PM   #2

I'm looking at this process but on an elevated platform.

http://www.thefoa.org/tech/ref/OSP/install.html
For a midspan pull, use these directions:
This procedure eliminates having to flip the cable in the Figure 8 on the ground over.
Place the cable reel a mid point on the long span (ensuring the maximum pulling length in either direction would not be exceeded).
Pull the one end of cable through the conduit to one end of the span.
Roll the cable off the reel and Figure 8 the remaining cable on the ground. The end on the cable will be on the top of the figure 8.
Pull the second end of the cable through the conduit to the other end of the span.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:57 PM   #3
Semper Fidelis

Rewards Points: 4,596

Honestly,
You need to mitigate your risk damaging that fiber as best as you can.
This means just spending what you need on the labor to get the project complete, do a first class job.
You will forget about spending a few extra bucks and just get it done.

I dont know the length of the pull but its possible to carefully load it in a big trash can and normally it will payout just fine. Alternately, it could be a disaster.
Suncoast Power is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suncoast Power For This Useful Post:
360max (12-20-2016), hardworkingstiff (12-21-2016)
Old 12-20-2016, 06:18 PM   #4

The pull is just over 1600', I'm just going to bite the bullet and pay a few of my normal crew to help out.
hardworkingstiff and 360max like this.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:51 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,743

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve@neoitsvcs.com View Post
The pull is just over 1600', I'm just going to bite the bullet and pay a few of my normal crew to help out.
I think this is your best option. Thin margins become red numbers if you try to cobble something together and it fails.
360max likes this.
AK_sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 05:25 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,232

The suggestion linked to despool everything into one big figure eight in the mid span is probably not helpful in this job, it would be useful if you had a third person but that's not necessary.

You only need two people to do this job. Before you start pulling, all the strings should be in place. Start with man #1 feeding from the spool at the starting point, man #2 pulling and piling at the first pull point. When it's all through, man #1 goes to the second pulling point, man #2 feeds, man #1 pulls and piles. I don't think 1600' will take long at all, as long as you're set up and prepared, I can't see it taking a full day.

The most important tool for this job - handsfree radios.

Last edited by splatz; 12-21-2016 at 05:47 AM.
splatz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 06:39 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 12,510

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve@neoitsvcs.com View Post
That is a wise decision. Don't let a bid mistake push you into subpar work.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:53 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 707

I've done something similar a few times with fiber pulls. I learned to not change direction with pull points but rather put the box or conduit body directly before or after a 90. There were a couple long pulls we did (1600+') that we could sometimes pull right past a pull point or change of direction eliminating the need for a man at that spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
splatz likes this.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:47 AM   #9
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 3,384

We got away with doing the figure 8 method most times, but I remember one long fretful night at Y concourse in Honolulu airport we had a taxi runway shut down for a figure 8 and it got all tangled to hell. We were there till the sun was coming out getting it right and the ''powers'' at the airport were pissed at us .