Experience with Ubiquiti - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Structured Wiring

Like Tree15Likes

Old 04-20-2017, 04:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4,638
Default Experience with Ubiquiti

Out on the Super-Secret Off Grid RePhase Remote Property, I have no utility access, nor do I want any, except internet. The closest fiber is on the main road, about 2000 feet as the crow flies. A friend suggested Ubiquiti broadband antennas. So I'm going to set a pole with a weatherproof enclosure for the fiber modem, battery, and charge controller, powered by a 50 watt solar panel.

Does anyone have any experience with a setup like this?
RePhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2017, 04:53 PM   #2
Band Member

Rewards Points: 8,278

Nope I've used Ghostbridge , with either a morningstar or xantrex charge controller ... totally different
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:42 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,054

Used a lot of it, both for networking and for SCADA. It's been reliable.
RePhase277 likes this.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlarson View Post
Used a lot of it, both for networking and for SCADA. It's been reliable.
What kind of speeds vs. distance did you see? I've read good reviews, but I want some live person feedback. Any particular model that's better than another? I'm getting a 1 Gb/s drop, so I'll want to get as close to that throughput ability, even if I don't actually approach it.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:07 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 494

How about a Ubiquiti PowerBeam M2 wireless bridge? Just like having a real long ethernet cable. Good for over 10 miles line of site. Simple to set up. Cheap cost.
emtnut, MikeFL and RePhase277 like this.

drsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:41 PM   #6
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 3,024

Ubiquiti is the best choice IMO but Gigabit is a challenge! You have to bump up to the Airfiber.

Are you SURE you really need gigabit?
RePhase277 likes this.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:02 PM   #7
Band Member

Gigabit ... In the bush

You running a server back there

The Ghostbridge is an outdoor unit, up to 150Mb/s , and around $500 US for the pair ... not sure how that compares to the ubitquiti.

50 watt panel seems small, unless you are going to have it powered off when you're not there.
RePhase277 likes this.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:42 PM   #8

I've decided to go with the less expensive 100 Mb/s drop, which is still over 3 times faster than what's available at my house in town. All I need to upgrade later is a different modem according to the ISP.

I get by OK at 30 Mb/s, but my son has some game issues when we're full bore on Netflix simultaneously. I think it's hilarious that I can get better out in the woods.
MechanicalDVR and HackWork like this.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:16 PM   #9
Profiteer

Rewards Points: 1,380

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsparky View Post
How about a Ubiquiti PowerBeam M2 wireless bridge? Just like having a real long ethernet cable. Good for over 10 miles line of site. Simple to set up. Cheap cost.
Wow, that is crazy cheap. What else do you need?

RePhase, I have gone the opposite direction with bandwidth. I went from a 100/50 fiber connection back to Comcast cable with a 25/5 connection (realistically measured at about 29/6) and 2 of us could still stream Netflix HD at the same time and still surf fine.

So 100 Mb/s should be great for you.
RePhase277 likes this.
HackWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:00 PM   #10
Cow

Rewards Points: 2,480

We're working a large dairy project right now and one of the automation contractors is using Ubiquiti antennas to bounce all the PLC signals around. He's pretty anal about his stuff so I know it has to be good.

But I honestly know nothing about it.
RePhase277 likes this.
Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtnut View Post
50 watt panel seems small, unless you are going to have it powered off when you're not there.
The antenna transmits at less than 1 watt, but call it 3 for safety. My current modem has a power input requirement of 12 V at 0.75 A, so 9 watts. Call that 15. So less than 20 watts is what I figure on using at most. I think 50 watts would be plenty and should provide good output even on overcast days.

But if I have to, I'll just put a bell box with a switch on the pole. I have to drive by it to get to the property, so I'll just stop and flip it on or off.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:03 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 494

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
Wow, that is crazy cheap. What else do you need?

RePhase, I have gone the opposite direction with bandwidth. I went from a 100/50 fiber connection back to Comcast cable with a 25/5 connection (realistically measured at about 29/6) and 2 of us could still stream Netflix HD at the same time and still surf fine.

So 100 Mb/s should be great for you.
That's it, I just looked on Amazon, was expecting $300 only $80 bucks.
go for it.

drsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:03 PM   #13
Profiteer

You run this place off a generator?
Old 04-20-2017, 09:10 PM   #14

Quote:
You run this place off a generator?
At the camp there is currently a battery box with 410 Ah and 300 watts of solar. The water pump is 12 V. A 2000 watt inverter gives me all I need for 120 V. I brought the generator out to run some power tools just in case once, but the inverter handled it all just fine.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:15 PM   #15
Profiteer

If you ever want to run power, I know this guy named Plooktard who can get power the 2,000 feet to your place. It will only take him 17 years.
macmikeman likes this.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:26 PM   #16

Quote:
If you ever want to run power, I know this guy named Plooktard who can get power the 2,000 feet to your place. It will only take him 17 years.
Why, that's over 117 feet per year! That's NASCAR speed compared to what I'm going to do it at!
Old 04-20-2017, 10:13 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 3,054

Yeah if you want gig you'd need the air fiber. For your new plan I'd use the powerbeams.

They are 24v Poe.
RePhase277 likes this.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:54 PM   #18

So, with as much vegetation in the way as I have, I don't think even the 900 MHz equipment will do, according to my research. I'm going to have to get these darn things above the the trees, or at least high enough that the tree density is low. Damn stupid Super-Secret Off Grid RePhase Remote Property
Old 04-21-2017, 06:50 AM   #19
Band Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsparky View Post
I just read that the Ghostbridge is a re-branded Ubiquiti M5 .... at 3X the price

Son of a beech's
RePhase277 likes this.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:28 AM   #20
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 3,024

Quote:
Originally Posted by RePhase277 View Post
So, with as much vegetation in the way as I have, I don't think even the 900 MHz equipment will do, according to my research. I'm going to have to get these darn things above the the trees, or at least high enough that the tree density is low. Damn stupid Super-Secret Off Grid RePhase Remote Property
That has to be some deep dark jungle. If you have something like a nice tall straight pine, I bet you could hang it IN the tree, as long as it's down far enough it doesn't whip around in the wind. It's only PoE.