Outdoor Telephone Cable - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Structured Wiring

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Cow
  • 1 Post By papaotis
  • 1 Post By MechanicalDVR

Old 11-05-2016, 09:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 180
Default Outdoor Telephone Cable

I have a customer who relies heavily on their land line. They have been having occasional quality problems and at times it does not work at all.

The Verizon network interface is on the garage at the rear of their property. If I plug a test phone in the quality is excellent. There is an old black multi-wire outdoor telephone cable with approximately 10 pairs of wires in it (I did not count them) that runs over and under the surface of the ground from the garage to the house. The call quality is bad on the end of the cable as it enters the house. It seems clear that the problem is with the cable running between the buildings.

By substituting different pairs I seemed to be able to improve the line quality temporarily, however ultimately the call quality declines.

My question is, what type of telephone cable am I looking for to replace this? I understand that generically I am looking for an outdoor rated telephone cable but I am not sure if there is a more specific cable type that I should be asking for.

Thanks in advance!
shocksystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2016, 10:03 PM   #2
Cow

Rewards Points: 2,396

I'm not a LV guy by any means but I'd be looking at one of these gel filled DB cables:

https://www.platt.com/platt-electric...px?zpid=689472
MechanicalDVR and emtnut like this.
Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cow For This Useful Post:
shocksystems (11-05-2016)
Old 11-05-2016, 10:07 PM   #3
corn-fused

Rewards Points: 322

i would would replace it with anything that is ug rated and dont run it OVER the ground!
Big John likes this.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:20 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cow View Post
I'm not a LV guy by any means but I'd be looking at one of these gel filled DB cables:

https://www.platt.com/platt-electric...px?zpid=689472
Good call. That is exactly what I am going to do.

Cheers!

Jim
shocksystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 10:35 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 30

Or plug in a cordless phone base station in the garage and use handsets in the house.
Quick fix while you work on the permanent repair.
inetdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 11:23 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,204

It's probably just getting wet between the conductors, don't chase your tail, just replace it.

If you want the toughest possible cable, ask for an armored cable that's rated for direct burial and if possible lashable / aerial too. You can get category 3 but category 5 / category 5e will be better and only a little more.

If you're putting in conduit, I'd still get a direct burial rated category 5e, but not the armor. This will have the heavy jacket and the gel. Last time I bought this I got Hitachi 30145-008. This is very easy to work with, except the mess of wiping off the goop. Bring a roll of paper towels.
shocksystems (11-06-2016)
Old 11-06-2016, 08:19 AM   #7
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 712

Make sure you get the proper cleaner.
icky pic is a pita to get off the wires, your hands, your clothes and whatever else it gets on
Old 11-06-2016, 08:25 AM   #8
Band Member

Rewards Points: 7,450

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcord View Post
Make sure you get the proper cleaner.
icky pic is a pita to get off the wires, your hands, your clothes and whatever else it gets on
A comm guy I know showed me a trick for that gel chit ...
Moist towels ..

Something in them reacts to the gel, and the stuff cleans off easy
emtnut is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to emtnut For This Useful Post:
shocksystems (11-06-2016)
Old 11-06-2016, 08:35 AM   #9
Deplorable-Electrician

Rewards Points: 25,356

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtnut View Post
A comm guy I know showed me a trick for that gel chit ...
Moist towels ..

Something in them reacts to the gel, and the stuff cleans off easy
And for hours after you can get the hint of baby diaper in the air... that smell makes me sneeze so I get a less perfumed towelette.
emtnut likes this.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere" mlk
MechanicalDVR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:43 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,204

The citrus cleaner wipes really take the goo off fast too. American polywater makes towlettes just for the purpose, they smell like citrus to me, that's what gave me the idea to try the citrus ones. I prefer to just use a LOT of paper towels, soaps leave a residue. If I don't have paper towels in the truck I'll see if I can borrow a roll of toilet paper or paper towels from the janitor's closet.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:13 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,972

Here is what I use, followed by a dry paper towel...

http://www.lpslabs.com/product-details/640
Ty Wrapp is offline   Reply With Quote