Single security camera to connect to computer - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Trade Topics > Structured Wiring

Old 04-30-2010, 07:34 PM   #1
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 75
Default Single security camera to connect to computer

I am looking for a good camera to use for surveillance that I could connect directly to my computer, USB or Firewire. This camera will be located on the outside wall just a few feet from my computer. The camera will need to be able to see about 20-60 feet. Id like something good, but not to expensive.

Any recommendations?
MacroManage is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 04-30-2010, 08:29 PM   #2
Pure Evil

Rewards Points: 2,666

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroManage View Post
I am looking for a good camera to use for surveillance that I could connect directly to my computer, USB or Firewire. This camera will be located on the outside wall just a few feet from my computer. The camera will need to be able to see about 20-60 feet. Id like something good, but not to expensive.

Any recommendations?
Why does everyone request that?

drsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:02 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsparky View Post
Why does everyone request that?
Because just about any line of products has something that is considered good but isn't too expensive. Best bang for the buck, so to speak.

Would you rather I asked for crappy and extremely expensive?
Old 04-30-2010, 09:38 PM   #4
NO high voltage here

Rewards Points: 1,074

ive used these and had great results. more so the indoor ones though

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/webcam...s/devices/4324
mikeh32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:22 PM   #5
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 2,106

One camera, one computer, you should probably look at an IP camera. Just type the address of the camera in a browser window and see what the camera's seeing.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:24 PM   #6
animal lover /rat bastard

Rewards Points: 2,980
Send a message via ICQ to wildleg

you can get a dedicated system (dvr + 4 stationary IR cams) for 5 or 600 bucks now. that's with a big enough hard drive for 30 days 24/7 recording, and software to connect intra and inter net.
Fatal error: Using $this sht!ck when not in object context in /home/electric/public_html/includes/functions_newpost.php(1471) : eval()'d code on line 1 will DO ELECTRICAL SHOES ! FrunkSlammer has just sent you -2676 points to use in the rewards store!
wildleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:35 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDShunk View Post
One camera, one computer, you should probably look at an IP camera. Just type the address of the camera in a browser window and see what the camera's seeing.
If I did that, I would need to run a Cat5 to the other end of the house where the router is. I'd prefer to connect the camera directly to the computer that will be monitoring/recording it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildleg View Post
you can get a dedicated system (dvr + 4 stationary IR cams) for 5 or 600 bucks now. that's with a big enough hard drive for 30 days 24/7 recording, and software to connect intra and inter net.
I really don't want to get that involved, I only need one camera. The hard drive in my computer will give me many months of storage from one camera.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:52 PM   #8
NO high voltage here

Quote:
If I did that, I would need to run a Cat5 to the other end of the house where the router is. I'd prefer to connect the camera directly to the computer that will be monitoring/recording it.

I really don't want to get that involved, I only need one camera. The hard drive in my computer will give me many months of storage from one camera.
You can not do that. USB and firewire have distance restrictions. anything over 15 feet, and you are just asking for problems. unless you do it over ethernet.

Im telling you that the easiest way is either wireless IP, or just regular IP.

Either way you are going to have to pull cable. what is the difference from cat5, USB(wont work), or even co-ax
Old 05-01-2010, 12:01 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 678

Quote:

Any recommendations?
We installed one for my father-in-law. He has a building out back where his cats (21) of them, sleep. It was a good image at 35 feet and into the house on a monitor. It does not have a recorder but it was only $79.00 at Sam's. It is wireless and I don't know if it has any other outputs.
RIVETER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 02:29 AM   #10
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 2,106

Quote:
Oh, boo-hoo. God forbid an electrician would have to pull a wire.

If the computer is closer than the router, just get a little wee switch and put that near the computer. It might add 20 bucks to the installed cost.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MDShunk For This Useful Post:
ce2two (05-23-2011)
Old 05-01-2010, 07:39 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDShunk View Post
Oh, boo-hoo. God forbid an electrician would have to pull a wire.
What benefit would there be in opening up walls to pull a Cat5 to the router over connecting the camera directly to the computer? If there is a benefit, I'm all ears.

BTW, I'm not a very good electrician.
Quote:
If the computer is closer than the router, just get a little wee switch and put that near the computer. It might add 20 bucks to the installed cost.
The computer is connected to the router wirelessly, a switch won't work.

Last edited by MacroManage; 05-01-2010 at 07:52 AM.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:48 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeh32 View Post
You can not do that.
What can't I do? I don't think we are talking about the same thing anymore.
Quote:
USB and firewire have distance restrictions. anything over 15 feet, and you are just asking for problems. unless you do it over ethernet.
I only need the distance to be about 6 foot, maybe 8. As I mentioned in the opening post, the camera will literally be on the wall directly outside of my office, that's why I think it's so perfect to just connect it directly to the computer.
Quote:
Im telling you that the easiest way is either wireless IP, or just regular IP.
If you could recommend a camera that will work for my situation I'd appreciate it.
Quote:
Either way you are going to have to pull cable.
For what reason?
Quote:
what is the difference from cat5, USB(wont work), or even co-ax
The difference is that a USB or firewire cable connecting to my computer will take about half an hour to install and do what I need (record from the surveillance camera). Running Cat5 to the router would require opening up multiple walls throughout my house and give me no benefit (that I know of) over connecting directly to the computer. Basically I would be doing a big circle, running a Cat5 to the router so that the router can wirelessly send that info right back to the computer 4 foot away from the camera. And from the little that I know, IP cameras are much more expensive anyway, aren't they?
Old 05-01-2010, 10:13 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 504

BB-HCM371A panasonic, Great camera, wireless, color, voice record, great tech support from panasonic. about 6-900 though.
garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 12:04 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 7,148

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfield View Post
BB-HCM371A panasonic, Great camera, wireless, color, voice record, great tech support from panasonic. about 6-900 though.
I don't know much about this stuff...yet. But my supply house guy is a computer guru. He installed Panasonic cameras all over. I do think he went IP though because he can monitor anything he wants from home.

Panasonic makes some NICE stuff!
Old 05-01-2010, 01:07 PM   #15
NO high voltage here

an ip camera only requires you to plug in a network cable to the router. use the provided software to detect it, and it works.

used to take us about 10 minutes to install them
Old 05-06-2010, 02:02 AM   #16

You can monitor the cam from anywhere once you install

VNC real or tight,

get a no-ip.com web address or equivalent

open a port on your router firewall

install those type in your new address, put in your password and BAM your using your computer like you are sitting at it. From anywhere!
Depending on the type of vnc you get you may not have audio.

Last edited by JohnR; 05-06-2010 at 02:03 AM. Reason: add
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnR For This Useful Post:
rbj (09-05-2010)
Old 05-07-2010, 06:38 AM   #17
Old Curmudgeon

Rewards Points: 10

You can get an ip addressable color camera for under $100.00, for a simple situation like yours that's the route I would go.

You can configure port forwarding on your router to view the camera from any pc with a web browser connected to the internet or your internal network.

Initially you might have to configure your router to be on the same subnet as the the default address of the camera... after that it's a walk in the park.
blindsided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:46 PM   #18
MAK

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...ed=0CDoQrQQwAA

I would try google and pick just about any piece of crap that is wireless. These are not really security cameras they are more like toys. By the way is this connecting to a laptop or desktop?
You could get an analog camera and dvr for like 200 bucks and connect to it remotely via network. This is all kind of low budget crap so your likely to get some really elite Chinese engineering with what ever you purchase.
MAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:59 AM   #19

Why not buy a cheap DVR card to go into one of the PCI slots on your computer, and connect an Analog Colour camera to it using Co-ax cable with a 12 volt power pack.
The cheap Chinese DVR Cards on ebay come with software (not great software) but usable. You could be up and running for less than $60.00
simmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:19 PM   #20
Mobile Electronics Guru

Check out the iCam app if you have a smartphone. It'll allow you to monitor up to 4 USB or IP cameras on your phone at once.

You can have 4 separate computers on separate networks each with their own camera to monitor 4 different locations, like the office, home, other office, and other house. Or, you can run multiple cameras on the same computer and network. (or any combination)

There's no service subscription plan, no DVR, no BS. All you do is assign a common username and password for all the devices and it'll work across multiple networks and firewalls. No setup time.

You can set it up to record motion events, and even send you push notifications when it detects motion.

I just bought a cheap USB webcam with night vision from amazon for like 6 bucks!! "6 LED USB PC Webcam Web Camera + Night Vision for Desktop PC Laptop Notebook http://amzn.com/B001LJIQ32

Im gonna mount that outside the window by my front door. I have a cheap laptop that I use as a camera server for the front door (one camera looking out, one looking in) and a third camera looking through the downstairs space that can see outside into the back yard.

My fourth camera is my built in iSight camera on my work laptop. I use it to see who stops by my desk during my lunch break. Or, I can just set that computer anywhere in my house, turn off the screen and have a hidden camera in plain sight.

I'll post up a follow up to see how well that camera works.

Let me know what you think of iCam. It's the easiest camera app I've used so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-2921528760.jpg (104.2 KB, 14 views)
HomerB is offline   Reply With Quote