American Manufacturing - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Site Supporter Section > Milbank Manufacturing

Like Tree17Likes
  • 3 Post By Milbank_Marissa
  • 1 Post By MikeFL
  • 1 Post By Service Call
  • 1 Post By 99cents
  • 2 Post By OldMasterTech
  • 1 Post By 99cents
  • 1 Post By sbrn33
  • 2 Post By drewsserviceco
  • 1 Post By splatz
  • 4 Post By Milbank_Marissa

Old 05-16-2017, 03:33 PM   #1
Vendor

Rewards Points: 30
Default American Manufacturing

Milbank is a proud American manufacturer (we have plants in Kansas City, MO, Concordia, MO and El Dorado, AR).

How important is American-manufactured equipment to you? Do customers ever request it?
Milbank_Marissa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Milbank_Marissa For This Useful Post:
hardworkingstiff (05-16-2017), Signal1 (05-16-2017), splatz (05-16-2017)
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2017, 03:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,148
Send a message via Skype™ to MikeFL

You either support America or you don't.
Buy American or leave.
hardworkingstiff likes this.
(239) 848-6675
MikeFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 03:38 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 6

I don't get specific requests, but i do look for it. To me it is important.

Sent from my house using 2 cans and a string
hardworkingstiff likes this.
Service Call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:42 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,538

It is very important to me. My customers occasionally ask for it, but they almost always will prefer US made over imports (in particular Chinese imports) given the choice.
splatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:31 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 4,126

I hold out hope for American manufacturing, but I have started to see many examples of American made goods that are inferior in quality to their foreign counterparts. And then there are American plants with assembly lines staffed by people who can't speak a lick of English, so I'm not so sure the stuff is made in America anyway.
RePhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:42 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2

I won't buy something just because it's made in America, I want to buy the best product I can for the best value.

I do feel a sense of pride when it is made in America and at least try to consider an American made product when making a selection. Overall, I have seen the American made product to be the better option, usually having better quality materials or a better fit and finish.
drewsserviceco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:59 AM   #7
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 9,214

I like to buy American even though I'm not American.
Signal1 likes this.

Last edited by 99cents; 05-17-2017 at 06:48 AM.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 99cents For This Useful Post:
MikeFL (05-17-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 06:55 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 98

First, my comment is NOT a stab at Milbank, but when manufacturers state they are American most folks assume that means 100%. So I ask, where do you buy your steel, copper, brass, aluminum and plastics?
I'll bet a full audit of any US manufacturer would reveal that materials are sourced globally.

And by the way, Milbank is my first choice for enclosures.
John Valdes and splatz like this.
OldMasterTech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:29 AM   #9
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 9,214

It's interesting to follow the money trail and where profits end up. France is a big player in both manufacturing and distribution. Schneider is French, Siemens is German and Eaton/Cooper is headquartered in Ireland as a tax dodge. With the ABB purchase of Thomas and Betts, they're now Swiss. Lots of our money ends up in Europe. Acuity Brands still seems to be an American entity.

I don't know anything about Milbank but their site says they're a family owned American company. That's the kind of people I like to buy from.
Signal1 likes this.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:39 AM   #10
still in business

Rewards Points: 3,242

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMasterTech View Post
First, my comment is NOT a stab at Milbank, but when manufacturers state they are American most folks assume that means 100%. So I ask, where do you buy your steel, copper, brass, aluminum and plastics?
I'll bet a full audit of any US manufacturer would reveal that materials are sourced globally.

And by the way, Milbank is my first choice for enclosures.
hell, I didn;t even know they made anything but sockets
John Valdes likes this.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
It's interesting to follow the money trail and where profits end up. France is a big player in both manufacturing and distribution. Schneider is French, Siemens is German and Eaton/Cooper is headquartered in Ireland as a tax dodge. With the ABB purchase of Thomas and Betts, they're now Swiss. Lots of our money ends up in Europe. Acuity Brands still seems to be an American entity.

I don't know anything about Milbank but their site says they're a family owned American company. That's the kind of people I like to buy from.

I think where the money ends up (although still a valid concern) takes a back seat to where the product is actually made. My reasons for this are that the location that the manufacturing takes place gets the benefit of all the jobs (and taxes). There are direct assembly line jobs, white collar management/sales/design jobs, construction and maintenance of said facility and all the supply line jobs required to facilitate the manufacturing.

All of this contributes to a healthy economy in a practical and tangible way. Where the CEO, board of directors and investors choose to squirrel the profits away is secondary as I don't place much faith in trickle down economics....money squirreled away is not really active in the economy anyway.

One doesn't have to look any further than the auto industry where the supposed foreign manufacturers are producing vehicles domestically and the supposed domestic manufacturers are producing vehicles with larger and larger percentages of foreign production.
splatz and MikeFL like this.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:20 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,538

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
It's interesting to follow the money trail and where profits end up.

I agree in general but I am not really concerned about the Milbank family I am pretty sure they're doing OK

But a business with actual owners - not a series of CEOs looking to milk their stock options and move on - is much more likely to actually care about quality, community, etc., they can see beyond the bottom line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewsserviceco View Post
I think where the money ends up (although still a valid concern) takes a back seat to where the product is actually made.
I agree; a lot more money goes into a manufactured product than what comes out in the end as profit for the owner or stockholders. That's where a lot of the economic impact comes from.

If I find out that a manufacturer really just makes or buys nearly - finished subassemblies in China and invests a minimal amount in US production, I consider that pretty close to a made in China product.

I have seen some companies that go so far as to give you a virtual plant tour on their web site so you can see that it really is Made in USA. That's very convincing.

@Milbank_Marissa
MikeFL likes this.
splatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:52 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by If I find out that a manufacturer really just makes or buys nearly - finished subassemblies in China and invests a minimal amount in US production, I consider that pretty close to a made in China product.
[MENTION=123185
Milbank_Marissa

Couldn't agree more!!
The Following User Says Thank You to drewsserviceco For This Useful Post:
splatz (05-17-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 11:07 AM   #14
Vendor

Rewards Points: 30

Here's a video of our Concordia plant. (It was made for high school students touring the plant.)
Milbank_Marissa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Milbank_Marissa For This Useful Post:
MikeFL (05-18-2017), Semi-Ret Electrician (05-21-2017), Signal1 (05-17-2017), splatz (05-17-2017)