CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Workplace Safety

Old 01-22-2012, 12:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 154
Default Betting on 100% Tie Off

Ok, so my coworker and I have a friendly wager regarding the OSHA tie off rules. If I win he has to put a bumper sticker on his car of his least favorite politician.

When climbing a 20' scaffold using the provided scaffold ladder , are you required to tie off to the rungs as you go up. Double lanyard would allow you to be 100% tied off as you go.

Now if you were able to provide me with reference to the rule...I would greatly appreciate it!!

petek57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-22-2012, 12:40 PM   #2
BBQ
Salty Member

Rewards Points: 2,000

No tie off needed if the staging has all the safety railings in place.

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BBQ For This Useful Post:
nitro71 (01-23-2012)
Old 01-22-2012, 12:46 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 154
Default Scaffolding ladder is affixed to scaffold

No railings...just rungs. You climb 10' and slip you are flat on the ground
petek57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
jza
Mad as Hell Member

Rewards Points: 2,030

Good question.
jza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:56 PM   #5
Registered Member

Fall protection or fall arrest systems -- Each employee more than 10 feet above a lower level shall be protected from falls by guardrails or a fall arrest system, except those on single-point and two-point adjustable suspension scaffolds. Each employee on a single-point and two-point adjustable suspended scaffold shall be protected by both a personal fall arrest system and a guardrail. 1926.451(g)(1)
mcclary's electrical is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mcclary's electrical For This Useful Post:
tom-in-newalla (02-16-2012)
Old 01-22-2012, 08:51 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

This is a billboard my company services. The owners require 100% tie off when on the cat walk, but getting there is not so easy..usually we have a lift if we must reach above working height on the cat walk. But not for this particular call. This kind of goes hand in hand with a previous thread I started, asking if a 2 man crew is appropriate for such work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ForumRunner_20120122_204815.jpg (90.6 KB, 96 views)
NacBooster29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:01 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

I am remembering a rule that changes with height, somewhere in the 20' range, but I think it was a site specific, not OSHA. I will try and look later.

Maybe McClary got the ref I was thinking of, but I swear it was around 20' and this was at a powerhouse that was usually no nonsense.
s.kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:23 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,032

Not sure if the ladder on a scaffold is a portable ladder, but if it is, no tie off is required while climbing. OSHA does not require tie-offs on portable ladders, but many site safety programs do.
don_resqcapt19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:35 AM   #9
BBQ
Salty Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclary's electrical View Post
Fall protection or fall arrest systems -- Each employee more than 10 feet above a lower level shall be protected from falls by guardrails or a fall arrest system, except those on single-point and two-point adjustable suspension scaffolds. Each employee on a single-point and two-point adjustable suspended scaffold shall be protected by both a personal fall arrest system and a guardrail. 1926.451(g)(1)
But not on a ladder.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BBQ For This Useful Post:
leland (01-24-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 07:17 PM   #10
head cheese

Rewards Points: 75

Is it OSHA that requires 3 body points contacting ladders at all times or is that another jobsite legend?
Old 01-24-2012, 07:40 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.kelly View Post
I am remembering a rule that changes with height, somewhere in the 20' range, but I think it was a site specific, not OSHA. I will try and look later.

Maybe McClary got the ref I was thinking of, but I swear it was around 20' and this was at a powerhouse that was usually no nonsense.
You might be thinking of the rule that states if the scaffolding is 3 times as high as it is wide you must tie the scaffolding off to a tie point. Something like that I think.
buddhakii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NacBooster29 View Post
This is a billboard my company services. The owners require 100% tie off when on the cat walk, but getting there is not so easy..usually we have a lift if we must reach above working height on the cat walk. But not for this particular call. This kind of goes hand in hand with a previous thread I started, asking if a 2 man crew is appropriate for such work.
I can't tell from my phone, but that looks like a Lamar board. Their employees are required to have a double lanyard but tie off is not required for the accent. On boards greater than 50', they typically have a vertical safety cable.
knowshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:02 PM   #13

It is in fact a Lamar board we service the led displays. Interesting niche work
Old 01-26-2012, 10:03 PM   #14
Registered Member

I took the OSHA 30 class. Twice. and I still cant quote OSHA rules word for word. I really hated that class.
slickvic277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhakii View Post
You might be thinking of the rule that states if the scaffolding is 3 times as high as it is wide you must tie the scaffolding off to a tie point. Something like that I think.
Looking, BBQ says not on a scaffold ladder. I think he is right and that the requirement I was thinking of was plant specific rule requiring tie off on a scaffold ladder 20 or greater.

But yes the three times height does sound like where the requirement for outriggers or tie off to structure is required.

Last edited by s.kelly; 01-26-2012 at 10:27 PM. Reason: added
s.kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:56 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric mike View Post
Is it OSHA that requires 3 body points contacting ladders at all times or is that another jobsite legend?
It is OSHA required 3 pt of contact. They will jump your crap on camp lejeune if you are caught otherwise.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #17
Electrical Janitor

Rewards Points: 10

Is the exstention ladder at least tied off to the vertical ladder?
Shazbo inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #18

It was I was in the process of taking it down. Figured I'd snap a pic. I know the guys here love pics.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:06 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 10

Fixed ladders do not fall under the scaffold standard hence scaffolding requirements do not apply. You will find fixed ladders under sub part X of 29 cfr 1910.
Jack-Howland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:45 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 75

Quick clarification. By "provided scaffold ladder" are you referring to the factory made ladders for tube and coupler scaffolding? Or the end frames of tubular, welded-frame scaffolds frequently called system or framed scaffolding. The latter are only allowed to be used during erecting and dismantling of the scaffolding, according to OSHA. Additionally, does George follow Federal OSHA regulations or have their own agency?

Last edited by Legion; 03-28-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Legion is offline   Reply With Quote