Hydraulic Punch Safe Work Practice - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Workplace Safety

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By macmikeman
  • 2 Post By Nom Deplume

Old 04-19-2016, 10:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
Default Hydraulic Punch Safe Work Practice

Does anyone have a Safe Work Practice for using the hand operated or battery powered hydraulic hole punch like the Greenlee Gator LS100L or the Greenlee 767? I'm not having any success finding something that fits with the small scale stuff we use. Most are for things like the big sheet metal punches or bench punches. I'm looking for some good reference material for crafting a company safe work practice.

We had an incident where someone misused the Gator and sent pieces of the punch flying across the shop. No one was hurt but our safety gal recommended creating a safe work practice on top of retraining everyone on proper use on both our punches to prevent a reoccurrence.
pswarbrick0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2016, 10:22 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,606

generally the safe practices involve reading the manuals but rarely happens,
your safety gal has a good idea to create and train your people on them.

most often misuse of tools is a primary cause of accidents with them!
example would be trying to punch hardened steel plate with your hole punch!
its not made for such use.

one thing i could add is that components under hydraulic pressure are storing a tremendous amount of energy and staying out of the line of fire would be the primary rule
(should a part fail it will become a projectile)
Old 04-19-2016, 11:26 AM   #3
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 2,890

Safety tip! Don't let your testicles get caught in the thing, and if they do , don't pull the trigger. Seek help..
splatz likes this.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:30 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,546

There's several pages of safety stuff in the manual that nobody reads, your company's safety lady lives for this kind of thing.

https://greenlee-cdn.ebizcdn.com/med...68346REV03.pdf

I saw a sign from the 1930's in the Hoover Dam plant, I wish I had taken a picture

"The Most Important Safety Device Is A Careful Man"
splatz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:11 PM   #5

I've used the manuals for our equipment to get a start on it. What I want to do is write a safe work practice which can apply to all small scale punch operations regardless of the manufacturer, so if we get another punch from a different manufacturer people can use the same practice. I also want to see how others describe the whole process so I can get the the simplest and most easily understood explanation on what to do. English as a second language for half of our shop guys, so while I may understand all the terms mean, my co-workers may not understand all of what is written or said.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:09 PM   #6

I've had a bit of time to think, and I think it would help to read the manuals of similar equipment to the ones mentioned in my original post. So if anyone has different equipment to the ones I've mentioned then let me know and I'll look up their manual.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:28 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 455

Rule #1, put the cutter and die on the stud facing the material being punched.
Rule #2' don't try to punch material that is hardened or too thick.
Rule #3, RTFM
joebanana and pjholguin like this.
Nom Deplume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 02:54 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nom Deplume View Post
Rule #1, put the cutter and die on the stud facing the material being punched.
Rule #2' don't try to punch material that is hardened or too thick.
Rule #3, RTFM
Especially #3
If all else fails RTFM
joebanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 05:17 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 367

What did the person do to cause this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pswarbrick0 View Post
Does anyone have a Safe Work Practice for using the hand operated or battery powered hydraulic hole punch like the Greenlee Gator LS100L or the Greenlee 767? I'm not having any success finding something that fits with the small scale stuff we use. Most are for things like the big sheet metal punches or bench punches. I'm looking for some good reference material for crafting a company safe work practice.

We had an incident where someone misused the Gator and sent pieces of the punch flying across the shop. No one was hurt but our safety gal recommended creating a safe work practice on top of retraining everyone on proper use on both our punches to prevent a reoccurrence.
pjholguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:37 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,444

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
Safety tip! Don't let your testicles get caught in the thing, and if they do , don't pull the trigger. Seek help..
I hate it when that happens... and it happens A LOT.
RePhase277 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:40 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,444

People have been warned of the dangers of smoking since kindergarten for the last 50 years, but people still smoke. You can see someone splattered on the pavement everyday, but people still don't buckle up. The fact is, all the "safe work practices" you put into place won't stop stupid people from doing stupid stuff.
RePhase277 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:00 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,183

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
"Honey....you seen my cup? I've gotta punch some holes at work today".
joebanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 10:27 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 734

What did the person do to cause this?
360max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 06:12 AM   #14
Semper Fidelis

Rewards Points: 4,252

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
There's several pages of safety stuff in the manual that nobody reads, your company's safety lady lives for this kind of thing.

https://greenlee-cdn.ebizcdn.com/med...68346REV03.pdf

I saw a sign from the 1930's in the Hoover Dam plant, I wish I had taken a picture

"The Most Important Safety Device Is A Careful Man"
Pages 3 and 4 of the manual should do it.
I think you might have had a once off incident.
I wouldn't start a mandatory class until some sort of trend appears
Suncoast Power is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 07:47 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 192

Just a note, not sure if it's in the manual, but always take a second to see if the cutter fits into the die before using the punch...

I broke one a while back, it sent chunks flying, and it wasn't a hydraulic punch... Just regular ratchet...

Used mixed npt and metric parts (probably 20mm die and 1/2" npt cutter)

I realize not all locations are going to have mixed metric and standard parts, but we did, and they were tossed into a drawer together.

-Red Green
chrisfnl is offline   Reply With Quote