Mold question - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Workplace Safety

Like Tree16Likes

Old 03-19-2017, 09:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 18
Default Mold question

We have a residential remodeling contractor that just got a mold job. He will be tearing out all the sheetrock, cabinets and carpet in a finished basement. Once he has done that we are suppose to go back in and rip out all of the electrical and install 6 keyless leaving it an unfinished basement.

My question is this guy is not going to get an abatement contractor to remove the mold. He is just going to rip everything out and throw it into the dumpster. I tried talking to him about how dangerous black fuzzy mold is, but he wont listen.

My question is after he has torn everything out, is it safe for me to go in there and tear out the electrical? Will the air be clean enough? I'm at the point where I'm thinking about telling my boss I don't want any part of this mold job unless the contractor has an air quality test done.

What do you guys think?
craigdj87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2017, 09:11 PM   #2
Deplorable-Electrician

Rewards Points: 18,640

Wear a good quality mask with an organic/asbestos rated filter.

Chances are better than not that the mold is growing on the basement walls and possibly the wood framing members above those walls.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,328

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
Wear a good quality mask with an organic/asbestos rated filter.

Chances are better than not that the mold is growing on the basement walls and possibly the wood framing members above those walls.
Chances are that the paper in the NM cable could have mold too....

Wear a mask, disposable gloves, and a Tyvek suit, and dispose of all of it. Read up a bit on it, better yet call a reputable remediation contractor and get their advice. If you take the proper precautions you will be fine.

Your boss should be doing his do diligence on the exposure of his employees to something that could put them at risk.
Switched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:33 PM   #4
Deplorable-Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switched View Post
Chances are that the paper in the NM cable could have mold too....

Wear a mask, disposable gloves, and a Tyvek suit, and dispose of all of it. Read up a bit on it, better yet call a reputable remediation contractor and get their advice. If you take the proper precautions you will be fine.

Your boss should be doing his do diligence on the exposure of his employees to something that could put them at risk.
I see a lot of guys that will just wear a disposable mask, I wouldn't trust my health to one of those.

Gloves are a given.
Bird dog likes this.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:52 PM   #5

Default Mask

I was thinking of getting one of these.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Medium...A1-A/202078789
Old 03-19-2017, 10:00 PM   #6
Deplorable-Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdj87 View Post
I was thinking of getting one of these.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Medium...A1-A/202078789
Looks decent. Big question: have you ever been properly fitted for a mask to know what size you need?
Old 03-19-2017, 10:02 PM   #7

No, I never thought of that.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:04 PM   #8
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 630

Quote:
No, I never thought of that.
There are few different size avaiable to use and if you have beard on your face it may change a bit how to use that mask.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:05 PM   #9
Big nosed attic troll

Rewards Points: 1,628

Where you at dude? Cities or far out?
Old 03-19-2017, 10:05 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2

That mask would be fine. I use the 2297 which is a step or two above the ones in your pic.

Couple things:

It's not mold until you have a test stating that it is. Only an industrial hygienist can say it's mold.

Not saying don't take precautions, just trying to be accurate.

If the owner doesn't want to follow protocol on removal and abatement, it's on him. Look after yourself.

Wearing a respirator is technically a serious proposition (if absolutely necessary for you to work in the hazardous location) and you should be healthy enough to do so with the stress on your breathing added by the respirator as well as be fit tested to make sure you're wearing it properly and have the proper size.
drewsserviceco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majewski View Post
Where you at dude? Cities or far out?
Cities
Old 03-19-2017, 10:17 PM   #12
Big nosed attic troll

Goto menards or hd while they have 11% off. I buy hd stuff during 11% sales and use their rebate match sheet off their site. I have a ton of these masks going all the way up to the full face mask. Carry them plus the throw aways with you in the vehicle, gloves etc... Make sure to have layers so you can disrobe before entering places you don't want to spread breathing hazards for anyone sensitive.

If you're ever worried of safety issues, always bring it up to the boss though.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:46 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 239

Their are respirators and dust masks.
Dust masks are made of paper or similar and don't do much except keep out big pieces of dust.

Respirators like the link above are made out of rubber and have a changeable cartage filter. They require a doctor to evaluate and approve your use on a job site (OSHA).
Just as you should have the proper training to work in that hazardous environment.

Mold abatement people wear full suits that are disposable and use fans to control the environment.

Is it safe after tear-out? Nope. Probably worse. They disturbed the fungus. The spores could be on every surface there.

You have the right to decline work that your not properly trained for, provided the proper safety gear paid by the employer, or is unsafe (OSHA). Don't know how bad it is. Some people including myself react to mold more than others. But at the end of the day it's your health you must conciser and determine if you are willing to walk. You may unjustly loose your job but you got your health and should get unemployment.

Just today I spoke with an old friend the got a fungus infection from work. It took the Dr's months to figure out the cause of his sickness. Finely it was diagnosed when he was hospitalized. After about a year he said his savings has gone to his medical bills. He's fighting the workers comp claim in court as it's hard to prove where it came from. His condition makes it not possible for a once fit and strong person to do physical activity. Besides his body it took a toll on his memory. With a medication needed to take daily that causes other side effects.
active1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to active1 For This Useful Post:
Bird dog (03-20-2017), telsa (03-21-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 05:57 PM   #14
still in business

Rewards Points: 2,174

Mold is not that big of deal on the short term. Let them rip it out, dry it up and go in and do your job. Quit acting like a little girl.
Have you ever swam in a lake or hopped in a hot tub? Waay worse.
Let me guess, you are between 18 and 30 years of age.
Majewski likes this.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrn33 View Post
Mold is not that big of deal on the short term. Let them rip it out, dry it up and go in and do your job. Quit acting like a little girl.
Have you ever swam in a lake or hopped in a hot tub? Waay worse.
Let me guess, you are between 18 and 30 years of age.
Actually I'm 47 and have been an Electrician for 20 years now. 6 years ago I was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. I'm in remission now. I do not want to go through that again. So to me it is a big deal.
MechanicalDVR and Majewski like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to craigdj87 For This Useful Post:
MechanicalDVR (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 06:55 PM   #16
Big nosed attic troll

Quote:
Actually I'm 47 and have been an Electrician for 20 years now. 6 years ago I was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. I'm in remission now. I do not want to go through that again. So to me it is a big deal.
Hence the concern in the first place I guess? Did you want confirmation that others agree to wear a mask and or talk to the boss or just seeing what others do?

I personally wear a mask once I know I'm working in a bad area but sometimes I don't find out until I'm in it.
splatz likes this.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:34 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 120

Quote:
If you went through radiation or chemo you're immune system will have been compromised.

Black mold will thrive inside the lungs of a person with a weak immune system and sickens most people with a healthy immune system when exposed to it long enough or in a great enough concentration of spores.

Get a proper respirator with the proper cartridges.

If there was a lot of mold consider a disposable set of coveralls.

At least put a blanket over your truck seat when you are done that job so you don't fill the seat with spores that will keep "attacking" you for some time to come.
MechanicalDVR likes this.
daks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:46 PM   #18
Deplorable-Electrician

I think it's stupid to know there is a contaminant on a job and take no precautions.

I was a kid on family jobs and mixed asbestos cement in wheelbarrows often by hand and worry about the problems that cold come from that all the time.

PPE maybe over cautious in some instances but this isn't one of them.
telsa and Majewski like this.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:01 PM   #19
still in business

Rewards Points: 2,174

Quote:
So you got cancer from working in bad environments? Not questioning just wondering?
Old 03-20-2017, 11:04 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 4,328

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrn33 View Post
So you got cancer from working in bad environments? Not questioning just wondering?
Yep... Ask all the industrial workers of the last century exposed to asbestos.

In Cali. you get it from everything.....

Edit: Didn't see you had said "You" as in a personal question...
MechanicalDVR likes this.
Switched is offline   Reply With Quote