Pulling through 14.4kv live - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Workplace Safety

Like Tree51Likes

Old 05-17-2017, 08:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 24
Default Pulling through 14.4kv live

Hey. I was asked by Fm to pull secondaries through 14.4 kv to 208v xmr live. Anyone done this before? Any safety tips would be nice.
gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2017, 08:46 PM   #2
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 1,304

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamer View Post
Hey. I was asked by Fm to pull secondaries through 14.4 kv to 208v xmr live. Anyone done this before? Any safety tips would be nice.
14.4 KV ???

Hummm .,, no way in hell if this is a convetail dry transfomer type .,,

someone did lost the ball on that.

I would just shut the primary source first before you fool around this kind of crap.

there is basically zero margin of error on that kind of voltage level.

I done alot of MV works but ya need proper tools to do this.
Roger, micromind, wildleg and 1 others like this.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:20 PM   #3

It's a oil insulated type, padmount. He said they would put a blanket over terminals.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:25 PM   #4
NRA Member

Rewards Points: 1,438

Quote:
Are you qualified to work on the level of voltage? Here in the states, you shouldn't get near that without training. I was asked to vacuum out a live 14.4kV transformer once long ago. I didn't just say no, I pulled the manufacturers manual, and read the procedure to the boss that clearly stated you could not enter the transformer live, couldn't remove panels from the primary compartment live. He was the typical "I know everything " boss that didn't know squat. I raised enough hell that he dropped it. I was worried he would try to BS someone else. At the end of the day, I was willing to go home for good if need be. Everyone on that kind of pull is in danger, not just the guy at the transformer.
The Following User Says Thank You to backstay For This Useful Post:
gamer (05-17-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 09:31 PM   #5
Modérateur

Quote:
It's a oil insulated type, padmount. He said they would put a blanket over terminals.
Do that company did have some type of training to dealt with that kind of voltage ?

a blanket may do a squat.,, sorry be harsh but 14.4 KV is something ya dont fool around with it.

The Canada safety dept will be instering on your sistuation on that voltage level.

Is that padmount is POCO side or customer owned transfomer ??

if that is on POCO side .,, just stay the heck out of that!!!
glen1971 and circuitman1 like this.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:27 PM   #6

No Training... not even sure we have a company standard procedure for it thats why I am looking for some info. I think the xmer is POCO, consumer starts after that termination if i recall correctly.

I think there is going to be representative of a sub contractor for POCO on site when we pull in. Pretty sure we need someone from POCO to open it for us.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:38 PM   #7
Modérateur

Quote:
No Training... not even sure we have a company standard procedure for it thats why I am looking for some info. I think the xmer is POCO, consumer starts after that termination if i recall correctly.

I think there is going to be representative of a sub contractor for POCO on site when we pull in. Pretty sure we need someone from POCO to open it for us.
Ahhh I see.,,

no training on that part.,, I am sure there is something in the safety dept in your country do have some type of guideline to follow.

However the POCO will basically turn that transfomer off or boot it off ( make it safe ) depending on what their plan is.

if that is single transfomer to feed that customer location the chance they will just deengerized it by boot it off or turn the fuse off at the riser one of two. which that is the SOP on the POCO part.

plan ahead with POCO for details and meeting to set up a plan to deal with it.

that one reason why most POCO rather turn the transfomer off in first place due the arc flash is pretty insane at transfomer location. I have see it blasted few time before and I just saw one not too long ago not far where I am standing.
gamer (05-17-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 11:52 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,442

Quote:
Who is putting "a blanket" over the terminals? If it isn't someone from the Utility, I wouldn't go near it with a 10' pole.. And that might be just long enough..

No training? No procedure for working around live 14.4 kv? Has the FM read or know anything of Z462 or know about Arc Flash? Limits of approach? If it is a pad mount, you'll be underneath the bushings..

Why can't this transformer be shutdown? Secondary feeder replacement? IMO it's too big of a risk that I'm betting no one can justify keeping it energized...

Any job can be done, until something goes sideways, something happens or someone gets hurt.. Then, as you're sitting in a courtroom, you'll be able to see "who told who what was ok to do.." I believe the term you'd be looking for is "hung out to dry" or "guilty as charged your honor"...
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:56 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 14,728

Medium voltage feeders MUST be treated with total respect.

They can be only touched when they are cold.

After any work is completed, all elements need to be megged// hi-potted.

Only THEN can you think about re-energizing conductors.
frenchelectrican and glen1971 like this.
telsa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:03 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 232

they would either shut it off or i would walk away.like other's have said 14.4 is nothing to mess with. so it's going to inconvience them,i rather do that than go home in a box!i like to see my family when i go home.let us know how it goes!
circuitman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:03 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,397

What's OSHA got to say about that?
joebanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:15 AM   #12
Modérateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebanana View Post
What's OSHA got to say about that?
Joe.,,

The OP is from Canada so there is a Canadain verison of OSHA so the Dept of Safety and Labour is the one if I recall it correct.

I think their rules is simauir to the OSHA.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:31 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,397

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
Joe.,,

The OP is from Canada so there is a Canadain verison of OSHA so the Dept of Safety and Labour is the one if I recall it correct.

I think their rules is simauir to the OSHA.
Yeah.....I wasn't sure what youz guyz called it either, but I figured there's gotta be a similar entity up there.
In any case, what are they planning on telling the insurance/bond company if it doesn't work out so well?
Voltages that high will reach out and touch you.
I would drag up first, that's just nutso.
joebanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:34 AM   #14
Modérateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebanana View Post
Yeah.....I wasn't sure what youz guyz called it either, but I figured there's gotta be a similar entity up there.
In any case, what are they planning on telling the insurance/bond company if it doesn't work out so well?
Voltages that high will reach out and touch you.
I would drag up first, that's just nutso.
I agree with that Joe.,,

I been wonding about that related to the insurance/bond company and if anything go heckva mess they will be not too thrilled with it.
joebanana likes this.

Last edited by frenchelectrican; 05-18-2017 at 10:36 AM.
frenchelectrican is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:08 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 176

Quote:
Don't do it!!!!
Old 05-18-2017, 11:26 AM   #16

Rewards Points: 1,106

Have the POCO verify it is DEAD & they put & leave their shorting cables on it until you are finished & have cleared the area.
frenchelectrican (05-18-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 12:32 PM   #17
Donuts > Fried Eggs

Rewards Points: 296

Just worked a paramount fault that started as a failed loadbreak: The blast vaporized most of the 1/8" steel divider between high and low sides and the doors where blown almost all the way off. Blankets wouldn't have done chit.

There's absolutely no way I'd agree to pull through a hot transformer.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:06 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 386

Nope. Unless your company has a written procedure on this and everyone involved is properly trained on that procedure, this is exactly the sort of thing the law that allows you to refuse unsafe work is written for. You aren't even allowed to plug buckets into live MCC cubicles at 600V in the mills around here any more.
MechanicalDVR likes this.
mitch65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:44 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 14,728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John View Post
Just worked a paramount fault that started as a failed loadbreak: The blast vaporized most of the 1/8" steel divider between high and low sides and the doors where blown almost all the way off. Blankets wouldn't have done chit.

There's absolutely no way I'd agree to pull through a hot transformer.
Flying carpet, anyone ?
telsa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:49 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 386

Quote:
Neither Fortis or Atco will allow anyone inside their transformer unless it is safe.
mitch65 is offline   Reply With Quote