Clarifying "Journeyman" terminology - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > Electrician Apprentice Forum

Like Tree20Likes

Old 12-10-2016, 11:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 34
Default Clarifying "Journeyman" terminology

I don't understand the use of "apprentice" "journeyman" and "master".
The NC Board of Examiners of Electrical Contractors doesn't use this terminology, and neither does my boss. Is this a union thing? Is there actually a formal "journeyman" license in some states? Or is it just an informal way of saying, "I'm not new anymore, but I'm still learning."

For context, I work in residential in North Carolina, and I've got about 4000 hours of experience but probably only about half of that on w-2. The other half as 1099. I am not part of a union, I just started working for a licensed Electrician a couple years ago. At first under the table, then he hired me on officially after a while. Before that I worked for a different licensed electrician, 1099, part time for a while.
MattM-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2016, 11:23 PM   #2
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 3,328

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM-NC View Post
The NC Board of Examiners of Electrical Contractors doesn't use this terminology, and neither does my boss. Is this a union thing? Is there actually a formal "journeyman" license in some states? Or is it just an informal way of saying, "I'm not new anymore, but I'm still learning."

For context, I work in residential in North Carolina, and I've got about 4000 hours of experience but probably only about half of that on w-2. The other half as 1099. I am not part of a union, I just started working for a licensed Electrician a couple years ago. At first under the table, then he hired me on officially after a while. Before that I worked for a different licensed electrician, 1099, part time for a while.
NC contractors are salivating for a guy like you who doesn't know about licensing and proper pay rates. Carry on....
John Valdes, active1 and 360max like this.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:46 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,430

1099 is a contractor. If you had a boss, who told you what, where, and when, you were a misclassified employee. You got exploited, basically. I'm sure he was a nice guy, though.
active1 and 360max like this.
John Valdes (12-12-2016), MechanicalDVR (12-17-2016), Suncoast Power (12-11-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 11:52 PM   #4

The 1099 boss probably lost his shirt on me. I barely knew how to change a light bulb when I started working with him, and he really showed me the basics at $15.00. He was older, and needed someone younger and willing to crawl around in attics. But I look back at how many fixtures I broke and how long it took me to make a splice and I laugh.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:04 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,430

Quote:
The 1099 boss probably lost his shirt on me. I barely knew how to change a light bulb when I started working with him, and he really showed me the basics at $15.00. He was older, and needed someone younger and willing to crawl around in attics. But I look back at how many fixtures I broke and how long it took me to make a splice and I laugh.
Well, just doing a simple tax bracket calculation, assuming you worked a full year at that wage, nothing more or less, and assuming you actually did your own taxes, you would've been making an average of $12.97 an hour. This is income tax only, I'm not factoring in health insurance or any other tax (social security, medicar etc). That's not bad starting out. It's still cheaper than if he had to pay for all the insurances and payroll taxes, etc, if you had been an employee.

EDIT: To answer your initial question, I don't know about NC, but in other states, yes, Apprentice, Journeyman, and Master are all state licenses.
Old 12-11-2016, 01:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGGT View Post

To answer your initial question, I don't know about NC, but in other states, yes, Apprentice, Journeyman, and Master are all state licenses.

Apparently, there are 10 different classifications of electrical license in NC and none of them are called "apprentice" or "Journeyman". However, that doesn't stop the NCBEEC from recognizing one's hours as a "journeyman" towards licensure. So they do recognize the status but don't bestow it....
I just sent them an email asking for clarity. If I hear back from them I'll update the thread.

As far as the replies here regarding my exploitation as a worker, I'm very curious what you are getting at and what opportunities I may be missing. But I'll start a different thread for that.
Old 12-11-2016, 02:37 AM   #7
NRA Member

Rewards Points: 794

Minnesota

Apprentice: Time on job, 0-7999 hrs

Journeyman: Time on job, + 8000 hrs ( after passing state test)

Master: Time on job, +10,000 hrs (after passing state test)
Old 12-11-2016, 06:08 AM   #8
Semper Fidelis

Rewards Points: 4,550

Quote:

2000 hours is a decent years work, 4000 is two years.
Don't go throwing the 1099 word around, that isn't legal to do in the electrical trade, at least in Florida.
Florida and NC have similar laws and standards.
Your classification can only be "helper" at this point.
If you can find a formal apprenticship program, that will formalize your education and status in the trade. We generally only see this outside of union shops unless your contractor takes on government work.
Generally, if you are working in the trades on a PW job, you are paid journeyman wages unless you are officially enrolled and working as an apprentice.

With that said, it's very common for an older one man show to pick up a young guy and work him as he do you. Not 100% legal but, it is what it is.

The IBEW construction requires each local union to offer membership to all working in the electrical trades.
That doesn't always happen. The NE tightly manages its labor market. The south keeps itself poor and independent and culturally cannot work as one team.

Some fact, some fiction, some lifetime observations. Bottom line is, if there is somekind of licensing in your state or county, you should work towards obtaining them as soon as you can. Having those licenses will distinguish you from the other helpers.
brian john likes this.
Suncoast Power is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:44 AM   #9
Safety Pin Member

Rewards Points: 2,510

Note to Matt, I was going to send you a pm, but you don't have that enabled.
Your choice.
P&L
Malignant narcissism is a psychological syndrome comprising an extreme mix of narcissism, antisocial personality disorder, aggression, and sadism.[1] Often grandiose, and always ready to raise hostility levels, the malignant narcissist undermines organizations in which they are involved, and dehumanizes the people with whom they associate.
PlugsAndLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:52 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 252

Matt,

I would be more than happy to help you understand NC laws. Shoot me a PM if you want.
drspec is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drspec For This Useful Post:
360max (12-17-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 01:13 PM   #11
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 432
Default Clarifying "Journeyman" terminology

Out of interest is it just hours that pushes you up the ranks or is there exams/inspections on your workmanship along the way?

Also how do you account for the hours?
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 01:17 PM   #12
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex View Post
Out of interest is it just hours that pushes you up the ranks or is there exams/inspections on your workmanship along the way?

Thinking of trying out yourself are you?
Old 12-11-2016, 01:23 PM   #13
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
Thinking of trying out yourself are you?

No thanks. I want to go forward not backwards
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 03:34 PM   #14
NRA Member

Rewards Points: 794

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex View Post

More proof of how little this troll knows about electrical. Not from the U.K. either.
Old 12-11-2016, 04:19 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,578

From Wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrician

Quote:
Electricians are trained to one of three levels: Apprentice, Journeyman, and Master Electrician. In the US and Canada, apprentices work and receive a reduced compensation while learning their trade. They generally take several hundred hours of classroom instruction and are contracted to follow apprenticeship standards for a period of between three and six years, during which time they are paid as a percentage of the Journeyman's pay. Journeymen are electricians who have completed their Apprenticeship and who have been found by the local, State, or National licensing body to be competent in the electrical trade. Master Electricians have performed well in the trade for a period of time, often seven to ten years, and have passed an exam to demonstrate superior knowledge of the National Electrical Code, or NEC.
Essex (12-11-2016), glen1971 (12-11-2016), John Valdes (12-12-2016)
Old 12-12-2016, 09:13 AM   #16

not sure how to PM or to allow PM's...I poked around in the options but didn't see anything....
Old 12-12-2016, 09:20 AM   #17

Rewards Points: 84

PM's may be restricted until you hit a certain post count.
cabletie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:21 AM   #18
Band Member

Rewards Points: 7,420

Yep, I think it's 15 posts ... Mods know if your a bot or cheezy salesman by then

Old 12-12-2016, 01:35 PM   #19

I just got this response from an email I sent last week to the North Carolina Board of Examiners of Electrical Contractors:

"We consider a “journeyman electrician” an individual that know the supplies to pack on the truck, run the job without assistance. We typically leave it up to the employer to decide if the employee is of that capacity. Journeyman electrician is PRIMARY EXPERIENCE. Thank you, Michelle Ames/NC Board of Examiners of Electrical Contractors"
Old 12-12-2016, 01:45 PM   #20
Senile Member

Quote:
I just got this response from an email I sent last week to the North Carolina Board of Examiners of Electrical Contractors:

"We consider a “journeyman electrician” an individual that know the supplies to pack on the truck, run the job without assistance. We typically leave it up to the employer to decide if the employee is of that capacity. Journeyman electrician is PRIMARY EXPERIENCE. Thank you, Michelle Ames/NC Board of Examiners of Electrical Contractors"
Um... lets see now

Beer- check
Bag of weed- check
Time Life electrical wiring book for homeowners and hacks- check
Blue boxes- check
inwall romex connectors- check

Ok good to go, I'm a journeyman!
wildleg likes this.

Tags
jargon, journeyman, terminology