Gaining Experience Through Your Career - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > Electrician Apprentice Forum

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By MechanicalDVR
  • 1 Post By Suncoast Power
  • 1 Post By MechanicalDVR
  • 1 Post By papaotis
  • 1 Post By chicken steve

Old 12-25-2016, 08:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 44
Default Gaining Experience Through Your Career

I am a 3rd year apprentice. Prior to beginning my apprenticeship I went to college for electrical engineering. During the first two years of my apprenticeship I worked on fairly big jobs. The Vikings new stadium, new hospital, new apartment high rise etc. Really, I ended up doing mostly basic tasks: Putting in devices, running PVC, pulling wire with the tugger, wiring lights, roughing in with romex etc. It seems to me (I could be wrong) that sometimes I'm expected to perform tasks that I just haven't had much experience with and I don't really understand how I am expected to know how to do certain tasks lol But does it just come with time? For instance, if I was asked to bend 4 inch pipe and put various kicks and offsets, it probably wouldn't be that great. Or if I needed to ground and bond a separately derived system. I just don't understand how we are supposed to just know how to do this stuff the day we turn out as journeyman lol Am I nuts or do you sense this too?
JoeCool612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2016, 08:18 PM   #2
Deplorable-Electrician

Rewards Points: 24,300

Ask questions and run your thoughts by the person who assigned you the task at hand.
Majewski likes this.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere" mlk
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 08:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
Ask questions and run your thoughts by the person who assigned you the task at hand.
Alright, I'll keep doing that.
JoeCool612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 08:30 PM   #4
Semper Fidelis

Rewards Points: 4,542

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
If you are on big jobs running conduit, pulling wire and terminating, your skills are going to be stuck right there unless you can bust out of it and run service work for a while.
Other situations sometimes occur such as being appointed a foreman if you have been with a shop for a while and show some interest. Usually the other journeymen will help out a junior journeyman foreman quite a bit. They can also screw you pretty hard too.
sbrn33 likes this.
Suncoast Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 08:48 PM   #5
Deplorable-Electrician

Rewards Points: 24,300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast Power View Post
If you are on big jobs running conduit, pulling wire and terminating, your skills are going to be stuck right there unless you can bust out of it and run service work for a while.
Other situations sometimes occur such as being appointed a foreman if you have been with a shop for a while and show some interest. Usually the other journeymen will help out a junior journeyman foreman quite a bit. They can also screw you pretty hard too.
I have seen plenty of guys when asked by a boss can you xyz and instead of being truthful they say yes and then fall on their face and end up laid off. When had they asked questions they might have been put on a smaller job and picked up some skills rather than be on the bench.
Majewski likes this.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere" mlk
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 10:13 PM   #6
corn-fused

Rewards Points: 322

if you dont learn something everyday, youve wasted the day.
Majewski likes this.
Old 12-25-2016, 10:15 PM   #7
corn-fused

Rewards Points: 322

to elaborate on that, its not meant to mean you learn it ALL. no one does. not even mike holt!
Old 12-25-2016, 11:08 PM   #8
still in business

Rewards Points: 2,704

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool612 View Post
I am a 3rd year apprentice. Prior to beginning my apprenticeship I went to college for electrical engineering. During the first two years of my apprenticeship I worked on fairly big jobs. The Vikings new stadium, new hospital, new apartment high rise etc. Really, I ended up doing mostly basic tasks: Putting in devices, running PVC, pulling wire with the tugger, wiring lights, roughing in with romex etc. It seems to me (I could be wrong) that sometimes I'm expected to perform tasks that I just haven't had much experience with and I don't really understand how I am expected to know how to do certain tasks lol But does it just come with time? For instance, if I was asked to bend 4 inch pipe and put various kicks and offsets, it probably wouldn't be that great. Or if I needed to ground and bond a separately derived system. I just don't understand how we are supposed to just know how to do this stuff the day we turn out as journeyman lol Am I nuts or do you sense this too?
You sound like you are in a large union company. You have a huge decision ahead of you. IMO
If it is all about money I would stick with what you have. **** I would have payed to work on Vikings stadium.
If you ever want to own your own business you need to go to a smaller company that does it all. The work sucks and there is no fanfare or bragging rights but in my case it was well worth it.Over all I probably would have made more in the union but I would not have the freedom I do now. Although I have yet to meet a union member or any large commercial type only electrician that has not been laid off in the last 10 years. That 6 months to a year adds up fast.

As a small company I have never ever laid one of my guys off even if they had to do littlle **** around my house. or at the shop.
I guess what I am saying is That i feel like I can send any one of my guys to go put in some recessed fixtures, go repair a bad pump in a golf course or go fix some little old lady;s heater.
Old 12-26-2016, 05:17 AM   #9
Semper Fidelis

Agreed. we are a small boutique type shop and get called to do an interesting variety of work. I picked up an apprentice that had only been on big jobs. He said that he has learned more working for us in 4 months than he has in 5 years on large projects.
Here in our neck of the woods it's certianly an advantage to work for a union shop. The pay is usually 50% more than a non-Union shop plus, very good health insurance and pension worth about another $12 or more per hour.
The fear of a layoff is a reality for both non-Union and union electricians here but for me, the advantage of making $30 per hour with $12 in benefits working union vs making $20 per hour with little to no benefits is very well worth the risk of being out of work a little longer if necessary.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:21 AM   #10
motherplucker

Rewards Points: 5,114

That's an option i'd have no problem with , but it's almost non existent here Sundude. , one look @ our PW should be revealing enough

Having served a non-U apprenticeship was no cake walk either. Lot's of prodigal sons out there who don't know jack , or sorts that just won't invest any OJT in an apprentice

And apprentices are the first to get laid off, especially where seasonal tourism rules the trades

Gaining 'experience' for many of us was throwing ourselves out there , and being rather forward about it. Starting our own libraries , buying 100' of 1/2" and cracking Jack Benfield's manual , wiring stop/starts on our porch any given Sunday afternoon

Noobs ask me what it takes here, and (sadly) i tell 'em it's all about what THEY are willing to invest of themselves....

~CS~
FTC likes this.
chicken steve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chicken steve For This Useful Post:
Suncoast Power (12-26-2016)
Old 12-26-2016, 09:32 AM   #11
Semper Fidelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken steve View Post
That's an option i'd have no problem with , but it's almost non existent here Sundude. , one look @ our PW should be revealing enough

Having served a non-U apprenticeship was no cake walk either. Lot's of prodigal sons out there who don't know jack , or sorts that just won't invest any OJT in an apprentice

And apprentices are the first to get laid off, especially where seasonal tourism rules the trades

Gaining 'experience' for many of us was throwing ourselves out there , and being rather forward about it. Starting our own libraries , buying 100' of 1/2" and cracking Jack Benfield's manual , wiring stop/starts on our porch any given Sunday afternoon

Noobs ask me what it takes here, and (sadly) i tell 'em it's all about what THEY are willing to invest of themselves....

~CS~
Same thing happens when you are tossed a service truck as a junior journeyman and expected no to have callbacks.
Immersion learning or trial by fire.
Builds character.

Oh yeah, to make it more interesting.
Communication only via one way pager
Can only use maps
No Mike Holt, no Tom Henry
No google. Just the NEC and the American Electricians Handbook.

Last edited by Suncoast Power; 12-26-2016 at 09:36 AM.