Ibew local 164 - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > Electrician Apprentice Forum

Old 11-17-2016, 07:50 PM   #1

Default Ibew local 164

Hi everyone! Just wondering the average wait time for local 164's apprenticeship program? Is over a year normal? Also, what percent of people do you think are actually accepted to the program!

Thank you so much in advance IBEW forevzzz
Lizzieeeeeeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2016, 07:53 PM   #2
Click Here

Rewards Points: 1,410

Local 164 has always been popular. A very small percentage of applicants actually get in, and most of them have connections.

But if you are a female, you have a leg up on the others.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 07:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
Local 164 has always been popular. A very small percentage of applicants actually get in, and most of them have connections.

But if you are a female, you have a leg up on the others.

Thank you for your reply! So you think that a man who applied should just try to get in somewhere else?
After two years they have to interview again and stuff right ?
Old 11-17-2016, 08:02 PM   #4
Click Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzieeeeeeeeee View Post
Thank you for your reply! So you think that a man who applied should just try to get in somewhere else?
I think that you shouldn't put all your eggs in one basket. The unions in NJ have great marketshare and the wages are extremely high, so getting in isn't easy. But what I said about females is true. A lot of the state work has quotas and companies like to have good female employees already on staff.

You should apply to many locals while also exploring other avenues of getting into the trade.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Quote:
I think that you shouldn't put all your eggs in one basket. The unions in NJ have great marketshare and the wages are extremely high, so getting in isn't easy. But what I said about females is true. A lot of the state work has quotas and companies like to have good female employees already on staff.

You should apply to many locals while also exploring other avenues of getting into the trade.

This is probably a dumb question but are you allowed to apply to other locals if you don't live there?

Im considering applying because my Dad did telecom local 3.

But getting in because of my gender would feel wrong when there are more
Qualified people. My friend Applied to 164 a year ago and I'm so nervous that he won't get in and I'd never want to take
The spot of someone whose truly passionate about and 100% sure about this. It just wouldn't feel right.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:10 PM   #6
Click Here

Quote:
This is probably a dumb question but are you allowed to apply to other locals if you don't live there?

Qualified people. My friend Applied to 164 a year ago and I'm so nervous that he won't get in and I'd never want to take
The spot of someone whose truly passionate about and 100% sure about this. It just wouldn't feel right.
Yes, you can apply if you live out of the local's territory.

You really have no choice when it comes to gender. Would you really not apply to do something that you want because you may get in easier?
Old 11-17-2016, 08:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Quote:

Yes, you can apply if you live out of the local's territory.

You really have no choice when it comes to gender. Would you really not apply to do something that you want because you may get in easier?

Good point- honestly I'm just wildly unqualified and uncoordinated which is another thing holding me back.

Are you in a union? Was your application hard
Old 11-17-2016, 08:21 PM   #8
Click Here

Quote:
Good point- honestly I'm just wildly unqualified and uncoordinated which is another thing holding me back.

Don't waste your time if you're not committed. Let someone else who really wants to be an electrician have the shot.

I got into local 102, 164's sister local. I got in the New Jersey way. My last name ends in a vowel and my father knew some people who know how to make things happen
Old 11-17-2016, 08:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Quote:

Don't waste your time if you're not committed. Let someone else who really wants to be an electrician have the shot.

I got into local 102, 164's sister local. I got in the New Jersey way. My last name ends in a vowel and my father knew some people who know how to make things happen
That's such a solid point. I don't think I'd last a second anyway.

The "jersey way" made me LOL. Hoping that it helps my boyfriend get in.
He has more vowels in his last name than Consonants so hopefully the Jersey way pulls through. Maybe I'll tell him to apply to 102 as well. I don't think he'd ever move out of the old neighborhood though- out of Jersey/not. Being able to get a good slice of pizza is out of the question to him.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:56 PM   #10
Click Here

Have him apply to all the locals he is willing to work in. Then have him look for electrical employment.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:22 PM   #11
Deplorable-Electrician

Rewards Points: 24,980

Quote:
Qualified people.

I'd never want to take the spot of someone whose truly passionate about and 100% sure about this. It just wouldn't feel right.

Are you not passionate about being a Union electrician? If you are then use what ever means possible to get your foot in the door. Once in the door you need to work hard and make a name for yourself.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere" mlk
MechanicalDVR is online now   Reply With Quote