Interested in industrial work - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > Electrician Apprentice Forum

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By John Valdes

Old 10-30-2016, 03:26 PM   #1

Default Interested in industrial work

So I live around the Los Angeles area in California.
I am about to finish an associates in lattc for electricial construction and maintenance..
I was interested particularly in wastewater treatment or something similar to that.

1) Anyways I was just wondering what kind of certifications are out there that I can self-study for in order to boost my resume?

2) Also, would it be wise to go for a bachelors as well or just go to straight to work? I was thinking a bachelors in construction management possibly.. maybe maybe not.

3) One last thing. I was interested in working in an internship for this before I graduate because I have 0 experience. Where is a good place to look?
DotDot123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2016, 03:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 652

Does your school have any sponsors that can help students find work after graduation?
In this field, school is important, but to find work, experience trumps anything.
Time you spend working in the trade.

You might be able to secure something with you AA degree.
But most likley you will have to start from the bottom and work your way up.
Have you considered an apprenticeship?
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 04:22 PM   #3

I tried getting an apprenticeship in the ibew local 11 for an inside wireman position around 2 possibly 3 years ago, passed the test but never got called in for an interview. Maybe the waiting list is just that big..

Anyways while I waited I figured I would just get an AA and go from there before becoming an apprentice. I couldn't really imagine myself getting an apprenticeship right off the bat without some connections so I went to school.

The u.s. steel corporation come I think semesterly and test the 3rd and fourth semester students. Unfortunately I didn't pass along with the majority. Wasn't so much the difficulty as was the lack of knowledge of what was on the test.
I am not really sure of any other companies that come here.
DotDot123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 03:44 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 652

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDot123 View Post
I tried getting an apprenticeship in the ibew local 11 for an inside wireman position around 2 possibly 3 years ago, passed the test but never got called in for an interview. Maybe the waiting list is just that big..

Anyways while I waited I figured I would just get an AA and go from there before becoming an apprentice. I couldn't really imagine myself getting an apprenticeship right off the bat without some connections so I went to school.

The u.s. steel corporation come I think semesterly and test the 3rd and fourth semester students. Unfortunately I didn't pass along with the majority. Wasn't so much the difficulty as was the lack of knowledge of what was on the test.
I am not really sure of any other companies that come here.
Why not turn your AA into a EE?
I can't speak for the rest of the US, but here in SC you would find a job as soon as you got that 4 year degree.
MechanicalDVR likes this.
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 03:49 PM   #5
Deplorable-Electrician

Rewards Points: 9,142

Most community colleges have classes for varying parts of wastewater operations. I'd even look online and talk to some guys that are working in the field. There are back door means to those type things often.

End of an ERROR.... MAGA!
MechanicalDVR is online now   Reply With Quote