Introduction - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > Electrician Apprentice Forum

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By papaotis
  • 1 Post By Signal1
  • 1 Post By Signal1

Old 10-30-2016, 10:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6
Smile Introduction

Hey everyone, I joined this forum because it looks like a great way to ask questions when my future journeyman isn't with me. Ha! I also have a few questions about the union apprentice program I'm going into!

I got put on the waiting list out of 100 people who had the interview, I was number 7! I got a call about 2 months later saying I am accepted and they wanted me to start work ASAP. I replied saying I'd love to! But I'd like to end on good terms with my current employer and put in my 2 weeks. And he was happy to hear that. (I think i did the right thing?!) So i start the apprentice training in 2 weeks. And classes in December.

Anyways, I'm 22 and graduated with a AAS degree(2 years) in Electronics/Telecommunications. I learned a LOT about AC wave forms, ohm's law, series/parallel circuits, etc. A part of me thinks this degree should be considered 2 of my 5 years of training. Should i try and push that? Or should I suck it up and do the whole 5 years.

I've also spent about 2 years at a job working with hand tools, and doing fabrication work installing equipment, and wiring everything in police vehicles.

I have all of the tools and more that I am required to bring to the first day of the job. BESIDES ONE TOOL. I just don't understand... A 6 foot rule. WHAT?! Not a ruler? tape measure? What would I need a rule for? I remember playing with one of those crappy extending, fold out pieces of wood when i was little!

But anyways! Thanks for this great forum and I can't wait to start!!

Also thanks for any replies in the future!
Greff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2016, 11:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 990
Send a message via Skype™ to MikeFL

Welcome to the forum. Looks like you're in real good shape. Congratulations on your already success.
I have friends from ND (top right corner of the state). Great people.
(239) 848-6675
MikeFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 11:06 PM   #3
corn-fused

Rewards Points: 322

welcome and good liuck with your career. your training so far may be excepted, but dont count on it being worth 2 years. depends on whos in charge.
MechanicalDVR likes this.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:07 PM   #4

Thanks guys! I'm super excited to started. It'll be a whole life changer!
Old 10-31-2016, 04:23 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 558

Quote:
BESIDES ONE TOOL. I just don't understand... A 6 foot rule. WHAT?! Not a ruler? tape measure? What would I need a rule for? I remember playing with one of those crappy extending, fold out pieces of wood when i was little!
Think about that for a minute.
What will a metal tape measure do, that a wooden ruler will not?

Welcome to the forum.
emtnut likes this.
Signal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 05:36 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 84

The wooden ones are easier to scratch your back with, the metal ones just fold over.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck with your career.
cabletie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 06:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabletie View Post
The wooden ones are easier to scratch your back with, the metal ones just fold over.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck with your career.
While very true, I was trying to help our young apprentice friend understand that he has a lot to learn yet. That tool is on his list for an important reason.

Last edited by Signal1; 10-31-2016 at 06:42 AM.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:39 AM   #8

Haha thanks for the input guys!! Maybe it's for measuring inside areas easier? Like in tight spaces? Would also be a good back scratcher!
Old 10-31-2016, 11:40 AM   #9
Deplorable-Electrician

Rewards Points: 24,978

Welcome aboard! Enjoy your ride here and good luck with the new job.

The 'stick' rule is most useful in pipe work, transferring angles, and layout. An inside reading folding rule is better than an outside reader.

For the most part book knowledge isn't that useful in regard to work experience, the time with the tools is far more applicable to the tasks at hand. Keep in mind there are many highly educated people out there that need velcro sneakers to make the day run smooth.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere" mlk
MechanicalDVR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 03:31 PM   #10

Keep thinking about my question Greff.

I'll give you a hint:
There are some places, that if you were to use a metal tape measure, my avatar would be standing very close to you.
MechanicalDVR likes this.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:37 PM   #11
Click Here

Rewards Points: 1,410

A folding rule is part of many local's tool lists, probably just out of tradition. I always had mine on the truck with my hacksaw and scratch awl, but never used them, not once.

As for getting in at an advanced level, that will never happen and it would be silly to even ask. A 2 year associates degree, which most likely had fluff courses in it, is not the same as the 4,000+ hours of on the job training plus hundreds of hours of classroom time that someone with 2 years of apprenticeship has completed.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HackWork For This Useful Post:
John Valdes (11-04-2016)
Old 11-03-2016, 04:10 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 48

i had the option like you did to skip ahead, and i recommend taking 500-1500 hours off tops. Being an apprentice is a opportunity to learn and become the best you can. once you become a licensed guy your expected to perform not learn and work... catch my drift??
mikesparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 01:06 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,014

I also kept a folding wooden rule in my tool bucket for years.
Only time I used it was when I miss placed my tape measure.

Who the hell is putting a metal tape into a live situation.
The wooden rule has metal on it too!
This is not why he has been asked to get one.
Like Hax said. Its tradition and nothing more. Mechdvr is also correct they use it to help with taking an angle from one spot to another.
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 04:53 PM   #14

Thanks for all the replies guys! I bought the klein rule. Should work! I start next week and I'm extremely excited to get to work and learn lots!

Tags
apprentice, degree, rule, tools, union