Mike holt electrical theory - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > Electrician Apprentice Forum

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By chicken steve
  • 4 Post By brian john
  • 1 Post By ElectricalArtist
  • 1 Post By Roger123

Old 12-26-2016, 03:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 138
Default Mike holt electrical theory

Watching alot of great stuff from Mike holt convinced me to buy the ultimate training library. . While most of his stuff are great and helps me alot, this particular dvd and book is horrible. He is basically reading the book while not explaining much on electrical theory. To get a good understanding I'm forced to use youtube to research things like atoms and electrons.

From my experience with holt I think the rest of the DVDs and books will help me more than this one . I do not reccomend the electrical theory course to anyone.
ElectricalArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ElectricalArtist For This Useful Post:
hardworkingstiff (12-27-2016)
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2016, 04:09 PM   #2
Deplorable-Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,444

Good to know, never thought of his stuff in a less than great light.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere" mlk
MechanicalDVR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 07:42 PM   #3

While I have it and liked the book, I believe like he said in one of his dvds (maybe Intro to PV) where a physicist told him his theory was wrong he answered beautifully. Hes trying to encompass a very difficult concept in plain speech. This isnt a quantum physics level book, just a broad brushstroke with concepts related to the field.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
KnightPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 09:12 PM   #4
motherplucker

Rewards Points: 6,334

I love Holt , despite the fact he's forever and a day captive to the empirical NEC take on electrical theory

For any spark to be well rounded is to rise above the theory constraints imposed , provided and profited on by Holt......., learn foreign systems , learn foreign theory juxtaposed to NEC theory

~CS~
papaotis and OldMasterTech like this.
chicken steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 09:35 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,248

Holt, Has some very good stuff, I find him personally to be a tad arrogant (due to a discussion I had with him) BUT he has done a lot of good stuff to help electricians furhther themselves in the trade.

For the average electrician they seldom have a need for theroy in the field.

Not saying you should not learn theroy but learning the NEC will serve you better in most situations.
MechanicalDVR (12-28-2016)
Old 12-26-2016, 09:45 PM   #6
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 4,460

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken steve View Post
I love Holt , despite the fact he's forever and a day captive to the empirical NEC take on electrical theory

For any spark to be well rounded is to rise above the theory constraints imposed , provided and profited on by Holt......., learn foreign systems , learn foreign theory juxtaposed to NEC theory

~CS~

Is this where all the riser straps comes from?
Old 12-26-2016, 10:53 PM   #7
still in business

Rewards Points: 3,494

Best forum ever. Those guys are a blast. They have a sense of humor that we need here.
Don't worry Mike won't email the crap out of you.
Old 12-27-2016, 01:35 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 138

I agree with you guys, his videos are great and gave me the confidence to pursue my licence, it's just that I payed 1200 for this training and theory bieng the first of the training DVDs I expected it to be as good as the code videos . I refuse to skip it and start off with that bad habit. I've had the ultimate training library since Friday and I've spent 1-3 hours a day studying every word until I completely understand the concept . This theory part is gonna take more time since it's poorly made but I figure 1 hour a day for 12- 18 months and I'm sure il be ready for the test. I have 10 plus years in the field and watching understanding the nec 2017 live on YouTube along with his other stuff on YouTube showed me how easily I can learn when I apply myself . I've learned more the past month or so from him than in 10 years as far as code but I've been studying more than ever too

For anyone whose affraid of the nec , I promise you that more you try the more you will succeed .
splatz likes this.
ElectricalArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 06:48 AM   #9
Yeah Toast!!

Rewards Points: 1,248

I like/love to troubleshoot and have found that understanding theory is beneficial for the process. It has help simplify and organize my method of troubleshooting.

For me visualizing the "flow" of current helps a lot.

Start at the transformer then to the load and back to the transformer.

Understanding this concept will help a lot.
chicken steve likes this.
Roger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 07:15 AM   #10
motherplucker

Rewards Points: 6,334

But that 'flow' is constrained to an NEC TN-C-S system Roger

~CS~
chicken steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 07:35 AM   #11
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 4,460

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken steve View Post
But that 'flow' is constrained to an NEC TN-C-S system Roger

~CS~

Oh brother,.................. it's amazing to watch a rooster strut about the barnyard puffing up all his feathers trying to attract hens....

I'm still trying to figure out the part about the CEO who also codes all the custom software programs your vast organization runs on.................

Last edited by macmikeman; 12-27-2016 at 07:39 AM.
macmikeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 07:46 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,154

We did mike holts code update video for our renewal. Pretty dull. Looks like his son is going to follow in his footsteps. We used to have our own code guru to teach us, but now he is retired. He could speak until he would lose his voice for seven hours straight. Always kept it somewhat interesting.
Cl906um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 06:31 PM   #13
Professional Nit Picker

Rewards Points: 1,640

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian john View Post
Holt, I find him personally to be a tad arrogant (due to a discussion I had with him)
I came to the same conclusion after having a discussion with him after a code update class. I have attended numerous code update classes where he was the instructor. He has a tendency to side track way too much !!
When I attend a code update class thats what I want code update .........