Passing the PSI Exam - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > Electrician Apprentice Forum

Old 01-04-2017, 02:11 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 88
Default Passing the PSI Exam

I've been asking people for recommendations as to study guides and I realize that I might be asking the wrong questions. What I'd like is suggestions for how to pass my exam. Basically, my deal is:

1 - I have 6 months to study for and pass the Journeyman PSI.

2 - I have had no formal training, just on-the-job residential and light-commercial projects. (No industrial, no 3-phase. I've never even bent conduit.)

3 - I'm a diligent worker and also a quick study.

4 - I *must* pass this or I might not be allowed to re-apply (my state says they've gotten so many applicants that they aren't really allowing that so much), and anyway I don't think I can afford to re-apply. So I MUST study and pass within 6 months.

5 - I'm broke until I pass. So an expensive course is out of the question. I'm making about $1000/month. But I can buy some books if I'm sure they're the right ones. And I have the time and discipline to read them. Can you make any recommendations? Thank you.

Last edited by green4now; 01-04-2017 at 02:12 AM. Reason: formatting
green4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2017, 10:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by green4now View Post
I've been asking people for recommendations as to study guides and I realize that I might be asking the wrong questions. What I'd like is suggestions for how to pass my exam. Basically, my deal is:

1 - I have 6 months to study for and pass the Journeyman PSI.

2 - I have had no formal training, just on-the-job residential and light-commercial projects. (No industrial, no 3-phase. I've never even bent conduit.)

3 - I'm a diligent worker and also a quick study.

4 - I *must* pass this or I might not be allowed to re-apply (my state says they've gotten so many applicants that they aren't really allowing that so much), and anyway I don't think I can afford to re-apply. So I MUST study and pass within 6 months.

5 - I'm broke until I pass. So an expensive course is out of the question. I'm making about $1000/month. But I can buy some books if I'm sure they're the right ones. And I have the time and discipline to read them. Can you make any recommendations? Thank you.
What state are you in? There are apps out there for like $5 where you can take practice tests. I did 6 practice tests one week before testing and passed. The keys are to get familiar with the code book. You won't be able to memorize everything which is why you should also be able to reference the code. But you first have to understand what they're asking in the first place. They phrase questions with "filler" info that doesn't pertain to the question at all. Tune that out and figure out the pertinent info.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
04gixx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:39 AM   #3
Deplorable-Electrician

Rewards Points: 16,740

I'd try to get as much online as possible. Practice tests, etc.
green4now (01-06-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 02:29 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 104

Mike Holt website has practice exams that you can take once, to asses what areas are weak.
RunningSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RunningSparky For This Useful Post:
green4now (01-06-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 03:21 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 14

Just take practice exam after practice exam and get real familiar with the code book. I bought tabs for mine from Mike Holt but added additional tabs to sections that I kept forgetting about. I also highlighted parts that kept popping up on different practice tests. I used a practice exam book from Tom Henry as well as free practice exams I could find on line. If your exam is on a computer I would concentrate on taking practice exams online so your used to taking it on a computer. Tests.com cost me $80 but was worth it. It helped me pass the masters exam.
Also, I don't know what the journeyman exam is like where your at, but my exam contained very few calculations. The calculations it did contain were basic, so I would concentrate more on the open book questions.
Time yourself when you take the practice exams. Once you get to where you can get a passing grade in the allotted amount of time you should be ready to go.
And another thing, when you come across something in the code book that you don't know what it is or understand it; research it, Google it, youtube it, ask in this forum, until you do. You will get to know the code book a lot better if you understand it.
Botens is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Botens For This Useful Post:
green4now (01-06-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 10:23 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04gixx6 View Post
What state are you in?
Colorado

Quote:
There are apps out there for like $5 ....
Can you point me to one? I haven't seen anything that cheap online. Unless you mean "apps" like for an iPhone? I don't have a cell.[/QUOTE]
green4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:52 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 407

Check out
http://bobotechnologies.com/

On the home page it states "Guaranteed to pass the Colorado state electrical exam"

I have heard from a few guys that have taken this prep and they say that it well worth it. Yeah it costs $400 but what does it cost you if you can't work? Or how much are you going to make with your license?
icdubois is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exam, psi, study