Is it possible to do an apprenticeship " Part Time " ? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > Electrician Apprentice Forum

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By telsa
  • 2 Post By daveEM

Old 12-08-2016, 11:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6
Default Is it possible to do an apprenticeship " Part Time " ?

As in, doing day calls with IBEW? Does it work like that?

Reason is I've been busy at my side business and it's more lucative than electrical apprentice at this given time. Now, if the Canadian Dollar decides to sky rocket, then I'll go back to being an apprentice.
sparky783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2016, 11:16 PM   #2
Big nosed attic troll

Rewards Points: 1,354

Think longterm. Is the side gig going to pay off and give you an ever lasting career?
Old 12-09-2016, 12:01 AM   #3

It very well could, but it needs the attention. It's viable until the CDN dollars raises against the US and then it's no work at all.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:28 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 11,210

Smuggling Liberals across the border could actually prove to be a life-time career.

HOWEVER.

Trump is going to put the kibosh on Saudi Arabia's 'John D. Rockefeller' price war on American and Canadian frackers.

This will lift the international price of crude oil back up to $100/ bbl, the minimum amount required for KSA to cover its 'nut.'

Since the Loonie is a petro-currency, as defined, it will sky rocket right along with the price of Canadian crude oil exports, much to the consternation of the experts.

This swing is only months away.

The Canadian export surge won't get under way until the Great White North defrosts in 2017.

Lumber exports also figure to ramp way up, too.
Majewski likes this.
telsa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:33 AM   #5
Safety Pin Member

Rewards Points: 1,790

Are you asking if there's a maximum number of years it can take to get
your 9000 hours? If so, I don't know the answer, but would suggest the
following:
~look back through the package you should have received when you
were signed up to see if this info is in there
~the package should have contact info and perhaps the business card
of the guy who signed you up- call him/her
~don't have the package? Call the ministry of trades, or whatever body
is responsible for apprenticeships in BC.

My only personal experience is that I've seen some guys take decades to
write, mostly because they were guys who didn't want to do the schooling.
These guys had plenty of hours.
P&L
Malignant narcissism is a psychological syndrome comprising an extreme mix of narcissism, antisocial personality disorder, aggression, and sadism.[1] Often grandiose, and always ready to raise hostility levels, the malignant narcissist undermines organizations in which they are involved, and dehumanizes the people with whom they associate.
PlugsAndLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 10:36 AM   #6
:-)

Rewards Points: 640

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky783 View Post
It very well could, but it needs the attention. It's viable until the CDN dollars raises against the US and then it's no work at all.
I bought a CB750 Honda in '72. No GST.

In '73 I took it for a ride to Los Angeles. No passport required.

Canadian dollar was $1.06 against the US Dollar in 1973 (or maybe '74, - I went both years). Those were the days. I suspect it will not happen again.

I signed in 1968 for a $1.10 an hour. Labor guy was at $3.00 or maybe less. As others say look long term.
spinninwheels and LuckyLuke like this.

I like perfect.

Last edited by daveEM; 12-09-2016 at 10:40 AM.
daveEM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 04:13 PM   #7

Thanks for all the replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by telsa View Post
Smuggling Liberals across the border could actually prove to be a life-time career.

HOWEVER.

Trump is going to put the kibosh on Saudi Arabia's 'John D. Rockefeller' price war on American and Canadian frackers.

This will lift the international price of crude oil back up to $100/ bbl, the minimum amount required for KSA to cover its 'nut.'

Since the Loonie is a petro-currency, as defined, it will sky rocket right along with the price of Canadian crude oil exports, much to the consternation of the experts.

This swing is only months away.

The Canadian export surge won't get under way until the Great White North defrosts in 2017.

Lumber exports also figure to ramp way up, too.
That's a good piece of information, and I have until March to see that play through as I'll be getting out of school then.

Quote:
My only personal experience is that I've seen some guys take decades to
write, mostly because they were guys who didn't want to do the schooling.
These guys had plenty of hours.
P&L
I am keeping up with the schooling, it's just the time on the tools that is lacking. Now if I can find an employer who will let me out to go do my thing, that's very welcome. I do intend on getting my TQ/Red Seal.

Quote:
Canadian dollar was $1.06 against the US Dollar in 1973 (or maybe '74, - I went both years). Those were the days. I suspect it will not happen again.

I signed in 1968 for a $1.10 an hour. Labor guy was at $3.00 or maybe less. As others say look long term.
So the Canadian dollar will always be under the US? I think that's what you're saying. I understand long term, but when I can make more than a Hydro Jman makes in a year in 8 months, you have to wonder.

Thanks for all the input fellas!
Old 12-09-2016, 05:12 PM   #8
Safety Pin Member

Rewards Points: 1,790

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveEM View Post
I bought a CB750 Honda in '72. No GST.

In '73 I took it for a ride to Los Angeles. No passport required.

Nothing to do with the thread, but the bike reminded me of this. They've
gotten a little faster since the 70's. 400 anyone?
P&L
Malignant narcissism is a psychological syndrome comprising an extreme mix of narcissism, antisocial personality disorder, aggression, and sadism.[1] Often grandiose, and always ready to raise hostility levels, the malignant narcissist undermines organizations in which they are involved, and dehumanizes the people with whom they associate.
PlugsAndLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 05:27 PM   #9
:-)

Rewards Points: 640

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlugsAndLights View Post
Nothing to do with the thread, but the bike reminded me of this. They've
gotten a little faster since the 70's. 400 anyone?
P&L
You aren't kidding. But... In 1970 the cb750 was the fastest...
http://www.daytona70.com/English/history.htm

Oh well back on track. We are talking about the Canadian dollar going back up on par with the US Dollar so the OP can do his apprenticeship.

Off again: I think my 750 weighs 550 pounds loaded with fuel and has 55 HP. That 400 probably weighs less than 300 pounds and has a zillion HP. Scary.

I like perfect.
daveEM is online now   Reply With Quote