Pre-Apprenticeship Question - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > Electrician Apprentice Forum

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By Max C.
  • 1 Post By wcord
  • 1 Post By MikeFL
  • 2 Post By PlugsAndLights
  • 1 Post By spinninwheels
  • 1 Post By power
  • 1 Post By 99cents
  • 1 Post By mikesparky

Old 10-02-2016, 04:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 110
Post Pre-Apprenticeship Question

Hey everybody,

My name is Max and I am looking to begin my career in the electrical trade. Since the age of six, I have been fascinated with electrical wiring, and have dreamed of becoming an electrician for years now. As a recent high school graduate, I am finally able to bring this dream into reality via apprenticeship.

After lurking here for the last while, I have gained an excellent set of resources for pursuing an apprenticeship - specifically, the Canadian Apprenticeship Thread (thank you Vintage Sounds)! However, upon handing a plethora of résumés to numerous electrical contractors and a local supply house, the consensus is - no pre-apprenticeship course, no apprenticeship.

Back-tracking, I have been volunteering at a local Habitat For Humanity ReStore, putting in over 1200 hours working with light fixtures, ceiling fans, building test equipment, etcetera. I have also worked on various electrical projects around the home, going so far as bending conduit (for practice) and creating a mock sub-panel setup on a plywood board.

With all of this experience, what I am wondering is - how much value would a pre-apprenticeship course actually provide? Is it worth "biting the bullet" and taking the course, or can my 1200 hours at the ReStore plus various home projects be counted towards First Year experience?

I am open to any suggestions you guys may provide

Thanks,

Max
PlugsAndLights likes this.
Max C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2016, 07:18 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 660

With 1200 hours of work experience, you have a better chance at getting hired on, than a pre-employment graduate.
The pre-employment course will give you credit for 1st and maybe 2nd year schooling. but limited practical. I don't really hold much value in the pre-employment courses.
I would get out there and visit every shop in your area and apply.
Max C. likes this.
Old 10-02-2016, 07:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 488
Send a message via Skype™ to MikeFL

Hi Max:

Welcome to the forum and to the industry. Your post is well written. That's a compliment to you and to whatever school system you graduated from. I hire guys with engineering degrees who can't write that well.

I can't advise you specific to Canada but I will suggest you go back and ask those folks what courses are acceptable and get whatever information you can about those courses.

Your commitment is to be commended. Your perseverance will be your success. Obstacles are not hindrances but mere stepping stones along your career path.
Max C. likes this.
(239) 848-6675
MikeFL is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeFL For This Useful Post:
Max C. (10-04-2016)
Old 10-02-2016, 11:03 PM   #4
Safety Pin Member

Rewards Points: 1,732

Everything about your post is positive Max. Keep doing what your doing,
and keep posting here, and things will go your way.
P&L
Majewski and Max C. like this.
Malignant narcissism is a psychological syndrome comprising an extreme mix of narcissism, antisocial personality disorder, aggression, and sadism.[1] Often grandiose, and always ready to raise hostility levels, the malignant narcissist undermines organizations in which they are involved, and dehumanizes the people with whom they associate.
PlugsAndLights is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PlugsAndLights For This Useful Post:
Max C. (10-04-2016)
Old 10-03-2016, 09:02 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 635

Keep pounding the pavement.

Are you in on lower mainland, the interior or the island?

Obviously the cost of living varies, as does the cost of school, with each respective region.
Max C. likes this.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:55 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 441

I've owned a company for about 21 years now, and I've never heard of a "pre-apprenticeship" course here in Alberta. Maybe we're behind BC, but I have hired several "green-horn" first-year apprentices and trained them from the get-go. One of them has been with me for 17 years now, and another about 12 years. Naturally, both of them are journeyman now.
Max C. likes this.
power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 02:11 AM   #7

I wish to thank all of you guys for contributing! Your comments are much appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinninwheels View Post
Are you in on lower mainland, the interior or the island?
V.I. May I send you a message via e-mail?
Old 10-04-2016, 09:27 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 635

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max C. View Post
I wish to thank all of you guys for contributing! Your comments are much appreciated.
V.I. May I send you a message via e-mail?
sure
Old 10-04-2016, 09:35 AM   #9
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 6,010

The Habitat for Humanity experience is good. I don't know what you're doing now but I would hire a guy who has been working some form of construction even if it has been as a labourer or building decks and fences. A pre-apprenticeship course can be costly with no guarantees. You sound like you have a good attitude. That's valuable.

I don't know, I don't have a lot of belief in prep courses compared to work boot experience.
Max C. likes this.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 04:47 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 48

you are definitely on the right track, Pre apprenticeship is almost essential now a days unless you plan on working for a bottom of the barrel company for a couple years. You will learn so much about the theory aspect of electrical and by the sound of what you say you will likely really enjoy it. It will also help immensely for trade school, I was top 3 in basic level this year and i can attribute that directly to pre apprenticeship. good luck!
MikeFL likes this.
mikesparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 04:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
The Habitat for Humanity experience is good. I don't know what you're doing now but I would hire a guy who has been working some form of construction even if it has been as a labourer or building decks and fences. A pre-apprenticeship course can be costly with no guarantees. You sound like you have a good attitude. That's valuable.

I don't know, I don't have a lot of belief in prep courses compared to work boot experience.
Thank you for the reply @99cents. As of now, I am cleaning, testing and displaying ceiling fans and light fixtures donated to a local Habitat For Humanity ReStore. Unfortunately, your practical attitude is not often shared with larger electrical contractors here in British Columbia. A common response after hearing that I have not taken the pre-apprenticeship program is “uh well, we believe in this program and have had much success with it...so good luck!”
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesparky View Post
you are definitely on the right track, Pre apprenticeship is almost essential now a days unless you plan on working for a bottom of the barrel company for a couple years. You will learn so much about the theory aspect of electrical and by the sound of what you say you will likely really enjoy it. It will also help immensely for trade school, I was top 3 in basic level this year and i can attribute that directly to pre apprenticeship. good luck!
Mike, I appreciate hearing your perspective.

Tags
apprentice, apprenticeship, apprenticeship canada, canada, canadian apprenticeship