CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Code Violation Discussion

Old 06-07-2007, 09:38 PM   #1
Wire Ninja

Default AC Disconnect Violation:

This was added in the 2002 NEC, but so many people ignore it still:

440.14 Location. Disconnecting means shall be located
within sight from and readily accessible from the airconditioning
or refrigerating equipment. The disconnecting
means shall be permitted to be installed on or within the
air-conditioning or refrigerating equipment.
The disconnecting means shall not be located on panels
that are designed to allow access to the air-conditioning or
refrigeration equipment.

This picture is of a brand-new installation that hasn't been inspected yet. There were 4 such units on this rooftop. The electrical contractor installed the disco on the panel that you would need to remove to change out the rooftop unit's reversing valve. The panel it is mounted on overlaps about 1/4th of the unit's controls section.

Last edited by MDShunk; 06-07-2007 at 10:01 PM.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 06-07-2007, 11:33 PM   #2
Modérateur

that part i will never put the disconnection switch on the unit driectally i rather keep it away a little in case they have to replace the unit

Merci, Marc

frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 12:35 AM   #3
Wire Ninja

What was so bad about this is that you can see another unit in the background of this one in the photo. You see a field of grey in the far background. That was a perfectly good wall for a taller part of the building that they could have very easily mounted all 4 disconnects on and been in compliance distance-wise and everything. These units are brand spanking new, and I hope they get red-tagged for it. They probably won't, however.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 12:42 AM   #4
Modérateur

I agree with you MD,, the most common thing is just setup with one common location it may use little more materals but it will meet the code very nice way.

I did install disconnect swtich for roof top unit and i put it about 18 inches away from the unit [ due this is a very flat roof and no wall to support ] and meet the code in nice way.

Merci , Marc
Old 06-08-2007, 04:57 PM   #5
Town Drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
I did install disconnect swtich for roof top unit and i put it about 18 inches away from the unit [ due this is a very flat roof and no wall to support ] and meet the code in nice way.
What did you mount the disconnect to?
It's not my fault, it's not my problem, I'm not your solution.
JohnJ0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 07:50 PM   #6
Modérateur

John :

sorry for the delay to reply to ya.,,

this what i did i used the galvized angle iron and build a " inverted tee " and make a stand for the disconnection switch.

the hight of the disconnection switch is no higher than the A/C unit typically 36 inch up from roof line. each place is slighty diffrent so it will varies a bit but really most common is 36 hight and useally from 12 to 18 inch away from the unit unless have multi units then i group the disconnect switch if in line of sight other wise spec'ed.

Merci , Marc
Old 06-10-2007, 08:12 PM   #7
Town Drunk

Gotcha!
Old 10-12-2007, 08:20 AM   #8

what would be the right size disconnet box for a a/c unit in a home..30 or 60 amp box i'm here in new jersey

Last edited by boz6085; 10-12-2007 at 08:23 AM. Reason: more info
boz6085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 10:21 AM   #9
Ax grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by boz6085 View Post
what would be the right size disconnet box for a a/c unit in a home..30 or 60 amp box i'm here in new jersey
That would depend on the load of the A/C unit.

440.12(A)(1) requires that the disconnecting means ampere rating be at least 115% of the nameplate rated load current or branch-circuit selection current, whichever is greater.

Chris
raider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:19 PM   #10
Modérateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by boz6085 View Post

typically the 60 amp nonfused disconnect switch is cheaper than 30 amp nonfused disconnect switch is.

the other thing to head up is make sure you have a GFCI repectale withen 25 feet of the unit it located.

the other option i know it came out in the market not too long ago it have combmation of nonfused disconnect switch with GFCI repetcale installed.
that one i dont know the cost wise but some area it will justifed by boring the hole once and get it all at once. [ some local code may not allow this type of box so check it out ]

Merci, Marc
Old 10-12-2007, 04:46 PM   #11
"A" inside wireman

Send a message via Yahoo to randomkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
typically the 60 amp nonfused disconnect switch is cheaper than 30 amp nonfused disconnect switch is.

the other thing to head up is make sure you have a GFCI repectale withen 25 feet of the unit it located.

the other option i know it came out in the market not too long ago it have combmation of nonfused disconnect switch with GFCI repetcale installed.
that one i dont know the cost wise but some area it will justifed by boring the hole once and get it all at once. [ some local code may not allow this type of box so check it out ]

Merci, Marc
As of a couple months back we have failed for the disconnects that have the GFCI built in, some towns dont want them but I havent found out why as of yet.
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

"One Nation Under God"
randomkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 05:15 PM   #12
Town Drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomkiller View Post
As of a couple months back we have failed for the disconnects that have the GFCI built in, some towns dont want them but I havent found out why as of yet.
What reason did they give for not allowing them? Are they UL ? Are the GFCIs on a different circuit from the A/C?
Old 10-12-2007, 05:40 PM   #13

John, not to hijack a thread, but I noticed in Baltimore (residential) that people run the AC load wires in UF, with no flex or protection. I can't get away with that here in Charlotte. Is there a code violation there?
gilbequick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 05:58 PM   #14
Town Drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbequick View Post
John, not to hijack a thread, but I noticed in Baltimore (residential) that people run the AC load wires in UF, with no flex or protection. I can't get away with that here in Charlotte. Is there a code violation there?

It's not considered subject to damage in most jurisdictions. However, some do make us run it in LFMC or LFNC.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:17 PM   #15
"A" inside wireman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ0906 View Post
What reason did they give for not allowing them? Are they UL ? Are the GFCIs on a different circuit from the A/C?
I wasnt on the jobs and never got an answer back from the foreman that told me. Im sure they were seperate circuits. As for the boxes being UL, I would assume yes, we buy them from Johnstone by the case up til the first ones failed.
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

"One Nation Under God"
Old 10-12-2007, 06:19 PM   #16
"A" inside wireman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ0906 View Post
It's not considered subject to damage in most jurisdictions. However, some do make us run it in LFMC or LFNC.

Not subject to damage, I guess you dont have mexican grounds crews that go mad with the weed wackers. I have had a mutitude of wires damaged this past summer at several medical complexes.

"One Nation Under God"
Old 11-27-2007, 07:34 PM   #17
A real loose neutral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomkiller View Post
I guess you dont have mexican grounds crews that go mad with the weed wackers
Kind of a crappy thing to say.
DPDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:22 PM   #18
"A" inside wireman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPDT View Post
Kind of a crappy thing to say.

It falls in the "Truth Hurts" category, cause it's gospel.

"One Nation Under God"
Old 11-27-2007, 11:34 PM   #19

Not crappy, true. Like it or not the vast majority of landscapers are hispanic. Who uses weedwackers? Landscapers. Not that they mean to do it, they just get in a hurry to get the job done just like we do with ours.
gilbequick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:12 AM   #20

Default Roof Top Disc

This is why I do not like DISC installed on the unit. There are very few panels that do not have to be removed at some time. And these are all around the RTU.

Idaho Abe is offline   Reply With Quote