Electrician Talk banner

Nightmare

9K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  steelersman 
#1 ·
A Building Inspectors Nightmare!!! This is a local ELECTRICAL CONTRACTORS home/shop. This happened several years ago so I can answer very few questions about it. I know there was an electrical fire (suprise:eek:) and we were called in to look at the situation. It's sad that people think that they know more than the code and it ends in loss of life.:mad:

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
How did they do that!!!

Can´t believe how people do things that way. I think it´d be easier to do it right, than to make that...that... whatever you call it!

If you´r not going to do it right... don´t do it!

#4 ·
"Yessir, my buddy who's uh professional elektrishun told me he read it on the internest that excess electronicons can leak out of th' wires due to th' old insulation n' such n' build up in th' panel somthun fierce and after awhile it'll just blow the whole g-darn thing apart so I went right out and took all of the covers off straight away . . ." ;)

All I know is, it sure is a lot easier to hook up everything when the whole building is one giant J-box!

Doesn't surprise me a bit. Same reason lots of contractors don't have a nice home - after hammering and sawing all day at work, it's the LAST thing they want to do when they get off work.

#7 ·
I once saw a news story on TV about an abandoned house that burned to the ground. The fire chief stated something to the effect that they couldn't figure out what started the fire since the electric had been turned off.

#12 ·
Not to justify the work, but...

If any inspector of mine ever posted pictures of the private areas of my home, I'd do everything in my power to have him fired, or at least make him spend money on an attorney.

Reactions: randas
#13 ·
FWIW, it doesn't look like any of that mess has been touched since the early 80's. It's looks like "vintage hack work", done with a lot of recycled material.

#21 ·
Most former EC shops usually have a "free" electric panel tied in somewhere. I did some work on a former shop of an EC that became a hair salon, and found the 100 amp main lug "free "panel tied directly out of the service troft. The customer was corrupt like myself so for a slight fee, I quickly forgot about what I found.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.