CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Code Violation Discussion

Old 12-07-2008, 07:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default Smurf Tube

This is a new one for me. Have always seen it but do no know a whole lot about it. It is my understanding that it is a flexible conduit for low voltage meaning speaker, Cat 5 etc not temporary power installations etc. Anyone have any ideas?

John Maiorano is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 12-07-2008, 08:27 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,016

See NEC 362.10 & 362.12. Uses permitted and no permitted.
While strictly regulated there is no problem with using it for line voltage wiring.

Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 05:07 PM   #3
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

in my vacation to bermuda, i noticed this is pretty much the only wiring method they use in those stone buildings. i love using smurf tube and think its great.

Last edited by electricalperson; 12-07-2008 at 07:30 PM.
electricalperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 05:41 PM   #4

I worked in USVI for a year and used smurf for everything, here in socal I have used it in concrete in a all concrete highschool football stadium. I think the stuff is great as well.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:44 PM   #5
nap
a real PITA

Rewards Points: 500

it sucks when it is cold and pulling it through steel studs sucks equally.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 05:56 PM   #6
Master Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
it sucks when it is cold and pulling it through steel studs sucks equally.
so does pulling MC through steel studs. especially the 250 foot coils of it. i dont think they make a reverse wound little coil. when i buy 1000 foot rolls of MC i make sure its reverse wound. thats probably the standard now anyway
electricalperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:37 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricalperson View Post
so does pulling MC through steel studs. especially the 250 foot coils of it. i dont think they make a reverse wound little coil. when i buy 1000 foot rolls of MC i make sure its reverse wound. thats probably the standard now anyway
You can get 250' rolls reverse wound. I can't understand why that isn't the way it is sold normally.
gilbequick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:56 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

The "blue smurf tube" is called ENT and it works good if used for the right applications. The one downside is that it is not UV resistant, which means you cant use it if it will be exposed to sunlight.
Kevin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:40 PM   #9
Licensed Journeyman

i used it in a stone building - works fine - has a pita memory
nolabama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:26 AM   #10
Cheetah Speed System

Rewards Points: 75

I love ENT.
electrician1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:47 AM   #11
nap
a real PITA

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrician1957 View Post
I love ENT.
Yousa crazy!!
Old 12-14-2008, 12:54 PM   #12

Is this smurf tube like coreline? gray or blueish plastic flexible pvc pipe, made by Ipex (the stuff we use anyways).
If yes then I love it, and we use a LOT of it, I have personally put 140k feet of it down.
Jeff000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 02:17 PM   #13
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 2,014

I've used it for years now. Just remember the limitations on it. Not for exposed work, not for sunlight exposure( the first one seems to me to sort of negate the second one don't you think?) Not to be in direct contact with soil. I use it on second floor and above slabs alot. Also for feeding kitchen islands on grade floor when there is a gravel layer above the soil. The fishtape will sometimes hang up a bit when pushing thru.
macmikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 09:46 AM   #14
Professional Nit Picker

Rewards Points: 1,020

In the jurisdiction I work for I'm seeing a ton of that gray flex made by IPEX. It seems all the larger EC's around here are installing it in their concrete slabs. Saves a ton time on slab work. I'm also seeing pvc coated mc cable being used in the slabs.

I myself have never used the stuff. I have spent some time on one job site with a very intelligent electrical contractor discussing these two items. They are approved for concrete encasement and I can see the advantages to using them the way these EC's are. I even spent some time talking with another electrician who works in a different part of the state. They still use schedule 40 pvc for slabs. I was telling them to check out the flex and pvc coated mc.
manchestersparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 12:21 PM   #15

just pulled some #12 (5) in 3/4 smurf about 150'-200'. took 3 of us to pull it.yes. we lubed it all the way. any of you guys got some better ideas to make it easier?? paul
paul d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 12:49 PM   #16
nap
a real PITA

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul d. View Post
just pulled some #12 (5) in 3/4 smurf about 150'-200'. took 3 of us to pull it.yes. we lubed it all the way. any of you guys got some better ideas to make it easier?? paul
sure (but you won't like it)

EMT
Old 12-20-2008, 01:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
sure (but you won't like it)

EMT
its in the slab. and we got miles of this sh!t to pull thru!!!! oh well.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:33 PM   #18
nap
a real PITA

Quote:
its in the slab. and we got miles of this sh!t to pull thru!!!! oh well.
sucks to be you.

not trying to infer you do not know what you are doing but just in case:

you do have somebody actually pushing the wire in as well, right? and I don;t mean merely feeding the wire but actively pushing the wire in.
Old 12-20-2008, 03:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchestersparky View Post
I was telling them to check out the flex and pvc coated mc.
The one problem with running tec in the slab is you have to make sure no one is coring later, a lost core line is a LOT cheaper then a lost mc in the slab. It would seem the MC that you would put in the slab would be best suited to a rack, this way you can make sure it doesnt get damaged at all.

Quote:
5 #12 isnt much for a 3/4 run at all, even 6 #12 over 200 feet you can get away with one guy pushing and one guy pulling without lube even.
When you pull the coreline out on the rebar make sure its as straight as possible and tie it down enough to make sure when they are pouring the mud that it doesnt move. If its not tied down enough it will snake 12 degrees one way then 12 the other... and before you know it there is 1000 degrees of bends over the 200 feet.
But the core line could have got stepped on and crushed a little bit too. Make sure you have someone watching, especially if its real hot or real cold.
Jeff000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 03:47 PM   #20

yeah nap , we had a good man feeding. and jeff i think you id'ed the problem EXACTLY. them slab guys ran the tube around , up and down, and put a " goose-neck at the stub up. i was told we used smurf because it was faster than PVC pipe. putting the string in and pulling the wire took 4 hrs. oh i forgot, the string was a bitch to get in too.