Electrician Talk banner

Violation of tagout

20K views 53 replies 29 participants last post by  taglicious 
#1 ·
What to do if someone were remove your tag out? Then did a modification and they(offender) are not an apprentice or electrician?

This is in accordance to Canadian law

#5 ·
If this is something you pulled a permit on and the guy made some modifications I'd act in kind and make a few mods to his body. We have crab traps to bait soon.

Reactions: taglicious
#14 ·
Who is the 'someone' ? Is this Industrial, and a mechanic removed it ?
First time it happened ? Why did he/she remove it ? Are there ongoing issues between trades here ?

Tag outs I've used are with a key lock ... is this the case? if so, where did they get the key ?

Did you talk to the person who did it ? What did they say ?

I could go on ....

Don't get me wrong, if someone removed my lock out, there would be a sh!t show ... but you really didn't give many details :001_unsure:

#18 ·
My two cents as both a longtime industrial electrician and H&S rep - get some answers! The life you save might be your own. The "green book" puts the onus on the employer to have a LOTO program and to enforce it. Without the generation of a paper trail on this incident, it never happened. That's how the MOL would look at it.

#19 ·
I've seen dumb-asses forget to take their lock(s) off before going home at the
end of the day and then whine endlessly cause someone else cut the lock off.
So, the right action depends on the details.
P&L

#21 ·
Its was left there as an in progress, no time at the end of day also no one to watch me. also under further inspection in the company policy and procedures book at work there is nothing for LOTO.... only that we are to receive a copy when hired...

#22 ·
We have to transfer locks from personal to departmental at the end of the shift if there's any chance the work needs to continue into the other shifts. In the event that the personal lock isn't removed the owners photo and contact info is on the tag. With all that being said I don't think anyone here would remove a lock that wasn't theirs, it's not worth the trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#24 ·
Yup, I've seen the blame game following a similar move. It ended up in court, and the supervisor who told the guy to cut the lock lost. The worker-bee that cut the lock also got a slap on the wrist.

Most places I've worked have a strict procedure for removing a forgotten lock, but at least there is a procedure in the event that it has to happen.

#27 ·
Workplace safety is governed in Canada by CSA Z462. From your post it sounds like there are two issues. The lock removal is the first issue, and the electrical work by an unauthorized person is the other.

Do you work for a company that just talks the talk, or do they also walk the walk. If it's the latter, complain to your supervisor. If it's the former, a chat with the authorities might be in order.

Cheers,
Brian

#30 ·
The Universal Service Fund was not put in place to give anyone free service. It does not as far as I know fund free land lines. It was more what you'd call a "Funded Mandate." Keep in mind that phone service in the US was for decades very tightly regulated and very nearly a government sanctioned monopoly.

Telco local exchange carriers were required to provide telephone service to everyone. If it was not for this mandate, nobody would have bothered stringing wire down country roads where the population density is low and the payoff for the infrastructure would never come. The Universal Service Fund was to compensate the cost to deliver service in those sparse areas.

#33 ·
I think you are the one that's wrong. Phones, not just cell phones.

"The FCC established the Lifeline program in 1985 to ensure that qualifying low-income consumers could afford phone service and the opportunities and security it provides. Congress supported and strengthened Lifeline in the Telecommunications Act of 1996"

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/lifeline-support-affordable-communications

#35 ·
The subject of your post was a new name for "obama phones", nobody I know thinks of a land line when using the title "obama phone". How many people even have land lines in their house any more?

#46 ·
I worked as a contractor for a large American manufactorer. We had an excellent electrician repairing a lighting circuit and left the plant with his lock on a area breaker.

I liked the guy, walked the area, found nothing dangerous and recommended we cut his lock. No luck and the super was going to send the night crew home, if they had no light.

I learned only the plant manager could authorize cutting a lock. And, nobody would talk to him.

Well the electrician was located 50 miles away, drove back, removed his lock and was fired.

#48 · (Edited)
The lockout/Tagout procedure is designed to not perform work on the equipment until the lockout/Tagout procedure has been adequately followed. When employees perform lockout/Tagout procedures, their work is limited to visual inspection of the equipment. Lockout/Tagout procedures are designed to prevent injuries by isolating the energy source. Anyway, you should use only high-quality equipment. I bought a nice set from TRADESAFE. These guys are using only high-quality materials, and they got the best reviews.

#52 ·
Incidentally, i still have my first set of LOTO. It was an honor to have the last set handed back to me by the job super/owner (i gave him the keys to unlock the last meter) of a 165 unit complex. We had a job meeting about power with all trades as we were powering up 1 unit at a time to final trim, a line was drawn, and the guy stepped over it. I had AHJ & PUD there to have a chat after I loaded up on LOTO FOR ALL METER PACKS. Ainobody cuttng my locks off
Toy Purple Violet Pink Magenta

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.