CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

Old 11-24-2007, 11:05 AM   #1

Thumbs up 22 piece Commercial Electric tool kit

I was wondering if anyone is interested in a 22 PIECE Commercial Electric Brand tool kit with bag? Not sure where to post this but hope it will not offend anyone by asking.

gatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 11-24-2007, 12:51 PM   #2

SWEET! Is it free including shipping?

Andy in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 01:00 PM   #3

As a rule I stay away from anything with "Commercial Electric" on it.
This goes for anything from cans to tools.
Speedy Petey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 01:01 PM   #4

I could include FREE shipping.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
As a rule I stay away from anything with "Commercial Electric" on it.
This goes for anything from cans to tools.

there is absolutely nothing wrong with Commercial Electric. The kit itself is decent and the bag has alot of storage. For someone that's trying to get started into the trade and that doesn't have alot of money this kit really is not that bad. This kit is hard to find and I'm putting it out there to help out. I only wish they had an affordable kit back in the days when I started the trade. Anyways here is what's included in the kit. I've priced some of the tools individual / half of the content and it did total a little over $100 so my estimate of the Value of this kit probably cost near $225.

8' MULTI-PURPOSE WIRING TOOL, CUTS AND THREADS POPULAR BOLT SIZES
7" WIRE STRIPPER, STRIPS 10-20 AWG WIRE
8' LONGNOSE PLIERS, DROP-FORGED STEEL, INJECTED GRIP
7' DIAGONAL WIRE CUTTING PLIERS, DROP FORGED STEEL, INJECTED GRIP
9" WIRE CUTTING PLIERS WITH TERMINAL CRIMPER, DROP FORGED STEEL, INJECTED GRIP
6 PC SCREWDRIVERS:
PH2x4"
3/16"x6"
1/4"X4"
PH1X3"
5/16"X6"
S2X4"
CR-V STEEL BLADE
ACETATE HANDLE WITH ANTI-SLIP GRIP
1 PC SCREWDRIVER, 3/16"X6", CR-V STEEL BLADE, ACETATE HANDLE WITH ANTI-SLIP GRIP
4 PC SOCKET SCREWDRIVERS:
5/16"X3"
1/4"X3"
3/8"X3"
7/16"X3"
CR-V STEEL BLADE
ACETATE HANDLE WITH ANTI-SLIP GRIP
5-IN-1 SCREWDRIVER, CR-V STEEL BLADE, ACETATE HANDLE WITH ANTI-SLIP GRIP
2 PC INSULTED SCREWDRIVERS: 1/4"X4", PH2X4", FOR APPLICATIONS UP TO 1,000 VOLTS, CR-V STEEL BLADE, ACETATE HANDLE WITH ANTI-SLIP GRIP
6" ELECTRICIAN'S SCISSORS, DROP FORGED STEEL
CABLE RIPPER, SLITS CABLE SHEATHING BEFORE STRIPPING WIRES
26-POUCH TOOL Bag ORGANIZER
Old 11-24-2007, 01:18 PM   #6

I just messin' with ya gatti. I'd rather see an apprentice make the effort to buy one or two GOOD tools a week and loan him the ones he needs in the mean time. CE is crap.
Andy in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andy in ATL For This Useful Post:
Wireman191 (01-13-2012)
Old 11-24-2007, 01:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy in ATL View Post
I just messin' with ya gatti. I'd rather see an apprentice make the effort to buy one or two GOOD tools a week and loan him the ones he needs in the mean time. CE is crap.

I hear ya man. I never loan out any of my tools, seems like it gets lost after a hard days work and at my age I can't seem to remember who I lent out my tools to so my kindness had to stop. I would rather see a helper with cheap tools than not having tools at all. I thought posting this would help someone out.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:33 PM   #8
Proud Navy Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatti View Post
This kit is hard to find and I'm putting it out there to help out.
You can buy those kits all day long in home depot. If you are in home depot buying tools at least buy the Klein tools. We had a young helper buy some of their tools, we didn't say anything but after a couple of paychecks he had Klein tools.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
You can buy those kits all day long in home depot. If you are in home depot buying tools at least buy the Klein tools. We had a young helper buy some of their tools, we didn't say anything but after a couple of paychecks he had Klein tools.

your wrong man, you can't buy this kit all day long because HD doesn't carry them. This item is a promotional item and was only availible a month ago.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:59 PM   #10

Every hd in socal has those kits, and I bought one. I think there tools are just fine, I have about three sets of everything and for the price that commercial took kit is one heck of a bargin. I also have klein channel lock t&B knipex and a little of everything, they are not as good as other brands but they sure are worth the money.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:20 PM   #11

Quote:
I'd rather see an apprentice make the effort to buy one or two GOOD tools a week and loan him the ones he needs in the mean time. CE is crap.
We set up all new apprentices with a tool bag, basic tools and wiggy, if he stays a year there his, if he quits there mine....

I find a properly prepared apprentice is worth more money and he is not loosing a mechanics tools.
brian john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 08:56 PM   #12
Proud Navy Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkessler View Post
Every hd in socal has those kits, and I bought one. I think there tools are just fine, I have about three sets of everything and for the price that commercial took kit is one heck of a bargin. I also have klein channel lock t&B knipex and a little of everything, they are not as good as other brands but they sure are worth the money.

I agree in central Fl they are a dime a dozen
Old 11-25-2007, 08:07 AM   #13
"A" inside wireman

Send a message via Yahoo to randomkiller

Quote:
your wrong man, you can't buy this kit all day long because HD doesn't carry them. This item is a promotional item and was only availible a month ago.

I see them all over NJ stores for like $50 I think. My apprentice bought a set a short time ago and I kept pretty quiet. Then he showed me the needle nose after he tried using them changing out his water heater at home, he was pulling out a piece of pipe with a torch, the pliers look like tweezers now with a huge gap in the blades but the tips touch.
I feel bad for the guy because of his home money situation two kids (1 a few weeks old and a non working wife), he's only 1st year.
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

"One Nation Under God"

Last edited by randomkiller; 11-25-2007 at 09:24 AM.
randomkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 08:18 AM   #14
Town Drunk

Quote:
I would rather see a helper with cheap tools than not having tools at all.
I tend to agree with this, at least for a guy starting out. He might not know if he's going to stick with this. Also, some people take better care, and keep better track of their tools than others.

For a guy who looks as if he takes care of his gear, and will stick with it, I absolutely encourage them to go quality.

As far as lending tools to a helper, I tell them, "If you borrow it more than once or twice, it means that is a tool you are supposed to own."
It's not my fault, it's not my problem, I'm not your solution.
JohnJ0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:22 AM   #15
"A" inside wireman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ0906 View Post
I tend to agree with this, at least for a guy starting out. He might not know if he's going to stick with this. Also, some people take better care, and keep better track of their tools than others.

For a guy who looks as if he takes care of his gear, and will stick with it, I absolutely encourage them to go quality.

As far as lending tools to a helper, I tell them, "If you borrow it more than once or twice, it means that is a tool you are supposed to own."

I used to get back to a lot of the jobs we installed for service and I can't tell you how many times I would find one of my own tools laying up in a drop ceiling or on the top of a duct or piece of hvac equipment. That was with a company that would send out several apprentices with one A man and a foreman.
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

"One Nation Under God"
Old 11-25-2007, 09:38 AM   #16
Town Drunk

Who misplaced the tools, you or a helper?

Hey, been there, done that!

If you borrow one of my tools, you are financially responsible for it... period.

If I lose one of my own tools, I an financially responsible... period.
It's not my fault, it's not my problem, I'm not your solution.
JohnJ0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:40 AM   #17
"A" inside wireman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ0906 View Post
Who misplaced the tools, you or a helper?

Hey, been there, done that!

If you borrow one of my tools, you are financially responsible for it... period.

If I lose one of my own tools, I an financially responsible... period.
The helpers, I am kinda anal about picking up what I have taken out, one of the reasons I don't give the truck keys to my helpers any longer. Not like they always ask to borrow something on a larger job.

"One Nation Under God"
Old 11-25-2007, 12:43 PM   #18

Our helpers have keys to trucks and shop. Makes more sense from a cost stand point, if I can not trust them with something that SIMPLE, I sure as heck not going to trust them with something that could result in a life safety issue, the skills to be an electrician.
brian john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 01:28 PM   #19

I'd rather see a helper with a cheap set of tools than no tools at all. IMO this is a good starter set. When they get settled in they'll know which tools are the ones used most frequently and which aren't. These are cheap and when they break them they'll replace the ones they need with quality.

That and it's a hell of a lot better with them having cheap tools than them borrowing my good tools all the time. <-----REASON #1!!!
gilbequick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:52 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbequick View Post
I'd rather see a helper with a cheap set of tools than no tools at all. IMO this is a good starter set. When they get settled in they'll know which tools are the ones used most frequently and which aren't. These are cheap and when they break them they'll replace the ones they need with quality.

That and it's a hell of a lot better with them having cheap tools than them borrowing my good tools all the time. <-----REASON #1!!!
Amen! Don't get me started on helpers and tools...the other day I asked a couple of my guys if everything was picked up from the area we had been working in all day. "oh yeah, got everything...yep checked twice, etc." Next day I walk by a PLC panel and see my brand new slugbuster set sitting on the catwalk. Cordless drills, ladders, wire, you name it, all get forgotten sometimes in the rush to get out the door at 4:30! I need to startchecking up on them myself, but I feel I should not have to.

Both of these guys are good employees, just not as thorough as I'd like. I guess the first time something disappears, a deduction from the paycheck might help someone remember.

Mountain Electrician is offline   Reply With Quote