Electrician Talk banner

Cordless drill recommendation

16K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  personal 
#1 ·
First, let me introduce myself. I'm a fairly new electrician working in the oil sands projects in Fort McMurray, Canada. However, the opportunities for learning the trade here are rather limited as it consists pretty much of putting giant lego pieces together.

I've begun looking for residential and commercial work, and with the slowdown this means bringing my own tools just so I don't fall behind all the other guys looking for work.

I have no brand loyalty to speak of and I've had the opportunity to use DeWalt, Milwaukee, Makita, Bosch, and Hilti gear, in order from most to least experience. Other than the Makita and Hilti, I've seen beat up and new tools from all brands (both Makita and Hilti were fairly new). The Hilti was a rotary hammer rather than a drill, but all the others were just regular drills - 14.4 to 18v. DeWalt and Milwaukee impressed me with their continued functionality despite being seriously beat up and used. I wouldn't say people here disrespect tools, but they don't exactly care for them - they're provided. The Makita was lighter and the Bosch just felt solid and probably had the best chuck of the bunch.

So here are my questions:

If I'm doing commercial and residential, am I looking at a 14.4 or 18v drill? Do I want a hammer drill? With DeWalt I know to go for XRP but there doesn't seem to be an XRP for Lithium Ion... is the base model DeWalt that poor? What about Bosch, is the Compact Tough = el cheapo? Any advice on Milwaukee?

Finally, what about Hilti? They seem tops for heavy duty drilling gear but they offer regular cordless drills as well. I'm interested in their 14.4V Li Ion one but there is no info about it anywhere. Is it good? Worth the price premium, or am I simply paying for the name?

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#6 ·
From what we have at work, the Hiltis are the best overall. We have a lot of the Milwaukee 18v nicad tools and abuse them daily, few of the guys care for the tools. Both brands hold up well. The Bosch hammer drills are very tough also. I personally have a Makita 18v lion impact and love it. Best advice I can give you is, lion tools don't operate well in the cold. Of Milwaukee, Hilti, and Bosch pick the one with the features you desire most.

#7 ·
I've always been a DeWalt guy. I have the 18v Reciprocating saw, 18v DC925, and the 14.4v impact drill. I use it everyday with the only problem is with the 18v batteries run out quickly.

I ended up buying the DC827KL impact drill. Was VERY DISSATISFIED with it b/c when I put any 1/4 shank bit no matter how long or short. It wobbles. Took it to my local dewalt factory repair dealer and they tried to repair it with no luck. They told me not to put a long bit it it and told me the wobble is "normal". I took in my 14.4 and showed them my old one has NO wobble at all. So they tried to fix it again with no luck. Long story short. After waiting for the corporate, they gave me a brand new DC827KL drill. THE NEW ONE WOBBLES ALSO!!! We took out three other impact they had in stock. Opened all of them and they all had the wobble. I ended up selling my set and sticking with my 14.4 impact for now.

Another drill I brought was the DC927KL hammer drill with the nano battery also. I must have bad luck b/c the head also wobbled, put on a drill bit and its awful. I went back to home depot and ask to get another one. They traded it out for me, went home and tested it out with the same wobble. I ended up returning it. And i'm sticking with my old hammer drill. Just wanted the upgraded my tools and give my old one to my helper.

I was leading towards Milwaukee b/c my dad's a big fan. But I read somewhere online that they moved some of their production to CHINA with equals lower quality.

Hope this helps. Oh one more thing, I posted a review on the DeWalt website only to see that it got deleted. Nice, they only keep the good reviews.

#10 ·
I have owned at one time or another just about every type of cordless drill. The best I have found thus far is the Ridgid Li-ion. I have the 24 V hammer drill kit, and it absolutely puts the rest to shame in both power and run time.

As far as a good cheap drill that gets the job done and doesn't hit hard in the pocket, well Ryobi. A Ryobi is simple cheap and reliable.

DeWalt has a good drill, but a very poor battery. I won't own another DeWalt. The batteries suck and are expensive.

#13 ·
I personally use the Milwaukee 18V Li-On hammer drill and and have been very happy with it so far. I was concerned about its quality when I found out they had moved production to China, but hasn't been an issue so far. I also got the impact driver for free in the deal and am very happy with it. Lots of driving power!! As far as drill versus hammer-drill, you always are gonna need a hammer drill in this business, so why not kill two birds with one stone? I have heard some of the Li-On have issues in the cold, but so far haven't had any problems here so far. Good luck with your search and buy what you can afford.

#16 ·
All the Ryobi I have seen is homeowner grade at best. One of our former purchasing agents bought several items in the spring of this year, to the best of my knowledge there is only one 1/4" impact still working.

#19 ·
I have that little Bosch 10.8, but they just came out with the 12 volt which is the same size, but will take 3/8 bit sizes, and has speed and torque mode!

I'm gonna sell off my 10 volt and buy the 12.

I bought the Bosch 18 volt brute tough hammer drill, and it kicks a$$.

#20 ·
I know of a few 18V DeWalt's that got burnt up:(

I'll just say this. I worked at a plant where all the tradesman had to sign out their power tools, and the company bought 18V Milwaukee's. These drills were abused SO badly by the carpenters, riggers, sheet metal guys, and some of the electricians. These drills were thrown around and beaten badly, cause they weren't the employees gear, who cared if they got ruined,...right????? Bad attitude. We never replaced a one. Those frickin' Milwaukee's are tough!!!!!!

I have not tried Rigid's, but would like too.

If you need a hammer drill for tough work, wouldn't you rather have a 1/2" corded?????

#23 ·
They are the best all around 7/8" rotary hammer, the ones that have the three position selector switch for rotate/hammer/both, Hiltis are a little better but cost almost twice as much.

#26 ·
i have a milwaukee 18v nicad set thats 2 years old. that drill kicks ass. i use the hammer for setting small anchors most of the time but in a pinch it can knock 3/4' holes in block walls.

i just bought a bulldog. another tool that kicks ass.

buy good tools, take care of them, and they'll make you money. mine did with the quickness.

#27 ·
For me working on res/com jobs I have been using the milwaukee 18 v for a few years now. Bought a new Li-ion kit and the batteries dont work that well in the cold. Unless you store and work with the li-ion batteries where it's warm, go with the Ni-cad. If we worked in a warmer climate it would be different. Also may want to buy a brand that is supported locally for repair issue's. It's nice to drop a broken tool off where you bought it and have them take care of the repair whether it's a warranty issue or not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.