Electrician Talk banner

Cordless tools

13K views 79 replies 27 participants last post by  randomkiller 
#1 ·
-What do y'all use (and swear by) for cordless tools?

-Does anyone use Ingersoll Rand cordless stuff? If so, what do you think?

--thanx

#11 ·
One of us is color blind, they look blue to me.

#7 ·
Well, since I started this...

Right now I just have the $30 orange 18V. It's ok as a glorified screw gun, but not so great at drilling - it just doesn't have the nuts. But what do ya expect for $30???

My responsibilities are increasing so it's about time for me to get some real stuff. I just want to get into one good brand so I don't end up with 10 different chargers for 15 different tools...

At the shop we use a lot of pneumatic tools of all names, shapes and sizes and the only one that is any good is the beat up 10 year old IR impact that I use. Some other brands have literally crapped the bed after only one day of use! That's why I asked about the IR cordless - if they are as good as their air tools, then I'm a customer for life!

#10 ·
I've had nothing but bad luck with dewalt. I've got buddies who have dewalt tools...some have problems, most dont' My experience with them no so good.

I picked up the 18v sawzall and xrp hammer drill. I never had any problems with the saw. The drill's gears stripped out after about 6 months and I had the drill repaired to the tune of $70 and some change. The batteries started not holding much charge. 4 Months later same thing, same bill. Later on the drill just lost it's power and started grinding somewhere else. That's it, that's when I was done with it.

I've gone Ryobi ever since (it's been probably 3 years now) and I've got just about every 18v Ryobi tool known to man, even their garden sprayer! The biggest downside to them is their batteries, they just don't last long on the higher power stuff. 2 months ago my drill pooped out (after 2 1/2 - 3 years!) and took a battery with it. I went and picked up the 18v lithium kit with the drill, light, charger and 2 batteries and WOW WHAT A DIFFERENCE! It's like a whole different tool. Tons of power (I've cut out floor box receptacles in hard woods) and they hold a good charge. The lithium batteries make all the difference with these things.

Buying new with Ryobi is cheaper than repairing Dewalt.

#12 ·
I've had nothing but bad luck with dewalt. I've got buddies who have dewalt tools...some have problems, most dont' My experience with them no so good.

"I picked up the 18v sawzall and xrp hammer drill."

I've gone Ryobi ever since (it's been probably 3 years now) and I've got just about every 18v Ryobi tool known to man, even their garden sprayer! The biggest downside to them is their batteries, they just don't last long on the higher power stuff. 2 months ago my drill pooped out (after 2 1/2 - 3 years!) and took a battery with it. I went and picked up the 18v lithium kit with the drill, light, charger and 2 batteries and WOW WHAT A DIFFERENCE! It's like a whole different tool. Tons of power (I've cut out floor box receptacles in hard woods) and they hold a good charge. The lithium batteries make all the difference with these things.

Buying new with Ryobi is cheaper than repairing Dewalt.
If it's a DeWalt or ANY brand beside Milwaukee It's NOT a Sawzall®. :whistling2: :whistling2: BTW,Ryobi & Milwaukee share the same parent company.

#13 ·
Of the cordless tools my employer has given me I have Bosch, DeWalt, Makita, and Milwaukee. The batteries (LION) in the Bosch and Makitas have a long life after charging but have issues when they are below 40F, you have to warm them or they don't work. The DeWalt stuff is ok, not always heavy duty enough. I take good care of the stuff but each piece has something broken, the trigger lock on the angle grinder doesn't work, the drill clutch is intermittent, the sawzall will clutch out on emt, the 1/4" impact is great. The Milwaukee 18v right angle drill, hatchet sawzall and sds hammer drill last a fair amount of time and have plenty of balls to get the tough jobs done. I have drilled a ton of anchor holes (1/4", 1/2") with the sds on one battery in some hard concrete. The 18v hammer drill/driver isn't as good on battery time as the heavier stuff, it dies out pretty fast. I just bought myself a Hilti cordless drill at the depot Monday, couldn't resist the reduced price ($120, drill, univ. charger and two batteries), so I'll let you know on this one.

#17 ·
I have been a Dewalt guy but have been looking to possibly change. I have noticed that Ryobi has the newer Lithium kit with Drill, reciprocating saw, light, circular saw 2 batteries and charger is only $299. That is a fraction of the cost other similar kits, not even factoring in that the Ryobi kit comes with the Lithium Ion Batteries... One would think that for the price, there has to be something being sacrificed?? Gil seems to be happy with it though!?!?

#18 ·
I have been a Dewalt guy but have been looking to possibly change. I have noticed that Ryobi has the newer Lithium kit with Drill, reciprocating saw, light, circular saw 2 batteries and charger is only $299. That is a fraction of the cost other similar kits, not even factoring in that the Ryobi kit comes with the Lithium Ion Batteries... One would think that for the price, there has to be something being sacrificed?? Gil seems to be happy with it though!?!?

Homeowner use, Ryobi is great, out in the construction real world they don't hold up. I have known many guys to go for the lower price and keep buying them over and over again as they break down. If you just want cheap and don't care about quality features go with Ridgid with the lifetime warranty, or Harbour Freight cordless. I would rather have a quality piece of equipment up front that isn't going to break down. If a tool has a lifetime warranty and breaks down, what do you use while it's in transit to and from repair? DeWalt cordless tools are the only tools on my truck that are broken (usable but broken). PS, keep in mind lithium ion don't run in cold weather.

#20 ·
Yellow tools

I have a large Dewalt kit, my old journeyman had Milwaukee...for cordless (I am referring to the 18 volt drills) I think that the Dewalt has a little bit more power. They both held up very well though I would definitely recommend either brand!!

Have any of you gotten the Bosch pocket driver for trim work? I have some friends that are starting to get them they are 10 Volt lithium Ion and I just bought one and have not had the opportunity to use it enough to form an opinion on it yet. Just curious.......

#21 ·
I have a large Dewalt kit, my old journeyman had Milwaukee...for cordless (I am referring to the 18 volt drills) I think that the Dewalt has a little bit more power. They both held up very well though I would definitely recommend either brand!!

Have any of you gotten the Bosch pocket driver for trim work? I have some friends that are starting to get them they are 10 Volt lithium Ion and I just bought one and have not had the opportunity to use it enough to form an opinion on it yet. Just curious.......
I have the three Boschs, the impactor is fantastic for it's size, from lagging in panels and driving anything into wood or light sheetmetal, it isn't fast enough for heavy tek screws. The I driver is great in tight spots, the regular driver is powerful and fits in a pouch pocket. Only problem being the cold weather issue. But the batteries are small so I can put one in my jacket pocket on the drive to a job and have it usable by the time I get there. I used to have the DeWalt 7.2 screwdriver on my truck but gave it back after getting the Bosch. The 7.2 DeWalt and little Milwaukee 2.4 are great screwdrivers for trimming out, I see so many of the guys in my shop with them.

#22 ·
Thanks Random...I am glad I got it...I wish I would get a chance to use it more though...I am sure that all of you can relate to me when I way that when you get a new tool you want to have to use it constantly at least at first to prove that it was a necessary purchase and because...well let's face it, everyone loves a new toy!!

#26 ·
I was a die hard Panasonic guy until I had the trigger go, twice, on my 15.6 drill in one year. At $50 a pop it's not worth it to fix it twice, no matter how good the drill is. Panasonic was no help either. Sad. :mad:

#27 · (Edited)
FYI guys, Home Depot has a big internet sale on Dewalt tools which you could take advantage of if you'd like. For example, I bought the Dewalt 4 pc cordless kit today, Dewalt Cordless Cut out Tool and a 4.5" angle grinder. The 4 pc kit has 18V Hammer Drill, 18V 6.5" Circular Saw, 18V Reciprocating Saw and Light with charger and 2 XRP batteries. I have not seen it for any less than $500. HD had it on sale for $429 which is a great price as it is. I printed the Ad from the internet and took it to Lowes! Per their "Lowest Everyday Price policy", they matched the price and then gave me an additional 10% off. Therefore, I got the Kit for $383 when it is normally $500 and I got the angle grinder for $65 when it is normally $89. Bought myself some good tools today and saved $140. The guy at Lowes was impressed and said that it was the best shopping he had seen in a long time. Damn I love Lowes! BTW, HD has a bunch of Dewalt things on sale that you can get price matched plus an additional 10% off at Lowes.... HD's sale is only till the 31st

#29 ·
Yeah, same kit - but although I use ebay a lot, I don't like to use them to on bigger purchases like this. Its new in a box with a warranty. I would have saved a few bucks on Ebay but then paid a pretty penny for shipping.. I am happy with the deal I got and it wasn't much work either. Lowes doesn't require you to bring in the ad, they will call the competitor to confirm - I just did it for convenience.

#33 ·
There are several hues of blue (Bosch, Ryobi, Makita, etc), you like them all ?

#43 ·
Over the last couple of years I’ve noticed a lot of carpenters are going with the Rigid cordless line. They seem like they are pretty well made. I know most people associate them with Home Depot, but they are also sold through Colonial Hardware [Black Book of Tools]. I’ve tried one on a job here and there and they do feel solid but maybe a little heavy to me, but that’s probably because I’m so used to the 18V DeWalt, which is pretty much all I have bought as far as cordless stuff goes for the last 10 or 12 years. Some guys liked Milwaukee, but they always felt like they were made of lead to me. Batteries didn’t seem to hold up to well either from what I was told. I saw Ryobi mentioned a couple of times. The funny thing is that it seems that most of the time when a guy shows up on the job with Ryobi, he is usually borrowing someone else’s tools [not mine] less than half way through the day because he’s frustrated that they don’t work fast enough to keep up and the batteries just keep dying over and over again.
Even though they may not be the best, I’m knee deep in DeWalt right now with just about every 18V cordless too they make, so couldn’t even entertain the thought of changing brands. It is great having just one type of battery for every tool though. They are also easy to repair and I like the fact that repair parts and accessories are available online direct through their Service Net. That’s a huge time and productivity saver when tools go down and something that very few of the other major tool manufactures can provide.

:)

#45 ·
For everyday drilling, I stick with an old-fashioned 14.4V DeWalt.

For larger needs, I have the 24V hammer drill, sawzall and skilsaw. I like them because they are not only cordless, but corded with the 120v adapter.

#46 ·
I saw a real cool looking tool tonight at the orange box. A Ridgid lithium battery drill that was a real short profile with a 3/8" chuck. Looks like it would fit in tight spots.

#47 ·
Yup! I'm eying that one too for my next purchase to do trim work with. It's the only mini-drill with a real chuck rather than a quick change. Milwaukee and Bosch have nice looking ones too, but they both have quick changes and aren't quite as beefy - plus the Bosch is made in Malaysia.

#53 ·
ok quick question. What are you thoughts about the milwaukee right angle cordless drill or any cordless tool for that fact. Im not much into the corded power tools and yes i know that there are some drawback in the cordless tools. I bring this question up because im thinking about starting some side jobs and want to know what is the best way to go for power tools.

#54 ·
The Milwaukee 18v RAD is pretty much like using the corded one when the battery is fresh. I use one almost daily and love it. Only draqback is the batteries, they don't hold the charge well when stored and larger bits wear them out fast so you need charged spares. I have a few 18v tools so it works out for me. Their tools operate very much the same as the corded counterparts. I have the hatchet sawzall, straight sawzall, 1/2" RAD, 1/2" hammerdrill/driver and SDS hammerdrill. All commerical grade tools.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.