CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

Old 11-20-2012, 06:28 PM   #1

Default DeWalt 25 foot tape "warranty"

I recently purchased the $25.00 DeWalt 25 foot tape measure for two reasons:
1) it's pretty bad ass looking
2) LIFETIME WARRANTY

It is a nice tape however it developed a crack. 'Went to return it & get my new one (with receipt) & was shot down under the claim of 'field wear'. So I'm just throwing this heads up out to the world.
At $25, had I known it was a conditional lifetime warranty I probably wouldn't have bought it.

aDudeInPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 11-20-2012, 06:30 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aDudeInPhx View Post
shot down under the claim of 'field wear'..

Where else is it gonna wear.

Last edited by Awg-Dawg; 11-20-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Awg-Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Awg-Dawg For This Useful Post:
aDudeInPhx (11-20-2012)
Old 11-20-2012, 07:34 PM   #3

Who told you that? Where you bought it? I would contact Dewalt direct and read them the riot act. What isn't "field wear"?
k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to k_buz For This Useful Post:
Big John (11-20-2012), Celtic (12-01-2012), sbrn33 (11-20-2012)
Old 11-20-2012, 07:35 PM   #4
Donuts > Fried Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_buz View Post
...What isn't "field wear"?
No chit. It's a lifetime warranty as long as you return it in brand-new condition? That's crap.

-John
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_buz
Who told you that? Where you bought it? I would contact Dewalt direct and read them the riot act. What isn't "field wear"?
I took it back to farm & fleet where I bought it (I'm in Madison wisc now) , they pulled out a fat max return policy print out & used that to make the call. Perhaps if I go back & see a different manager who understands the term lifetime warranty a little better I may have better luck.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:53 PM   #6
Data Tech/Apprentice.

"Lifetime Warranty" is a sales gimmick, tapes crack... How much is your time worth? You have already made 1 trip back to the store.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy
"Lifetime Warranty" is a sales gimmick, tapes crack... How much is your time worth? You have already made 1 trip back to the store.
My $25 is worth $25 chewy. I don't make much money right now because of the 2 small kids/childcare/single father factor & the store is close so I'll be happy to hammer farm & fleet again.
In thinking about it I might have taken farm & fleets no like a wuss, I had both kids with me which made it very difficult to put up much of an argument.

I'll try again in the next couple of days when I don't have the kids, I'll grab one off the shelf that has the "lifetime warranty" pop up on it & I'll post my results.

Last edited by aDudeInPhx; 11-20-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:07 PM   #8
Data Tech/Apprentice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aDudeInPhx

My $25 is worth $25 chewy. I don't make much money right now because of the 2 small kids/childcare/single father factor & the store is close so I'll be happy to hammer farm & fleet again.
In thinking about it I might have taken farm & fleets no like a wuss.
Fair enough, economically speaking if your were driving 45mins to get knocked back again you ended up just purchasing a new tape it would have cost you more than $25, kind of like people driving an hour out of their way burning gas becuase TP was $0.50 cheaper at a store.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy

Fair enough, economically speaking if your were driving 45mins to get knocked back again you ended up just purchasing a new tape it would have cost you more than $25, kind of like people driving an hour out of their way burning gas becuase TP was $0.50 cheaper at a store.
They're less than a mile away.

I had both kids with me which made it very difficult to put up much of an argument.

I'll try again in the next couple of days when I don't have the kids, I'll grab one off the shelf that has the "lifetime warranty" pop up on it & I'll post my results.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:21 PM   #10
Data Tech/Apprentice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aDudeInPhx

They're less than a mile away.

Id email dewalt with "I recently changed from brand x to brand x after hearing how good they were and hearing about the lifetime warranty. I was dissapointed when my tape broke that your warranty was not honoured by "Store X" I will be returning to my old brand of tape but thought you would appreciate the feedback.

Thanks"
I got a pair of trousers for free after they split at a pocket from Blaklader after I emailed them the same thing.
fraydo (11-20-2012), sbrn33 (11-20-2012)
Old 11-20-2012, 08:46 PM   #11

I return all broken stanleys to the company about 4 dollars shipping and they send a new one no questions
Ricochet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ricochet For This Useful Post:
aDudeInPhx (12-01-2012)
Old 11-21-2012, 12:10 AM   #12
I void warranties

Quote:
farm & fleet
Nothing to add besides I love that place

Jlarson is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jlarson For This Useful Post:
aDudeInPhx (11-22-2012)
Old 11-21-2012, 12:12 AM   #13
I'm a Dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlarson View Post
Nothing to add besides I love that place
Thanks for posting today..
Black Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:46 PM   #14

All the guys at work cheat when it comes to tape measures knock one of the rivets that hold the hook on and then try if they say life time warranty they should mean it.
spook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:20 AM   #15

Update: Farm & Fleet did give me an exchange with the receipt on the second attempt.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:19 AM   #16

Farm and fleet, is that like a tractor supply?
denny3992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:43 AM   #17

We have Farm and Fleet AND Fleet Farm. There is some story about how in laws owned a store, and when a divorce came about, they each got part of the company. One named theirs Farm and Fleet, the other Fleet Farm.

I prefer Fleet Farm.
k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to k_buz For This Useful Post:
aDudeInPhx (12-01-2012)
Old 12-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #18

Ya thats bs. The home depot near me is kinda ghetto and will let youv return anything no questions asked. Ive bought the huskey brand which seems great since measurements are printed on both sides and it has magnetic tip which is very useful....after a week or two it stops retracting back in on its own. Regular oldschool Stanley brand has some nice and smooth retraction though..
Starcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:54 AM   #19

isn't why craftsman stop their tape measure brand , cause of excessive warranty swap ?
french connection!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:15 AM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
I recently purchased the $25.00 DeWalt 25 foot tape measure for two reasons:
1) it's pretty bad ass looking
2) LIFETIME WARRANTY

It is a nice tape however it developed a crack. 'Went to return it & get my new one (with receipt) & was shot down under the claim of 'field wear'. So I'm just throwing this heads up out to the world.
At $25, had I known it was a conditional lifetime warranty I probably wouldn't have bought it.
A "Lifetime Warranty" does not mean you can do whatever you want to something and have it replaced free of charge. The term "Lifetime" specifies the date range, not the conditions.

The manufacturer is willing to cover your product from manufacturing defects for your lifetime, this is typical. It's the same as if it was a 2 year warranty, only it's longer.

I have a 7 year warranty on my tires, but if I stick a knife into one of them they will not cover it. If I wear one of them down a typical amount, they will not cover it. If the sidewall separates and the tire blows out, they will cover it in that case.

Your tape measure had wear and conditions showing that the damage was most likely caused by you, not a manufacturing defect.

Dangerously is offline   Reply With Quote