CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

Old 11-29-2010, 04:57 PM   #1

Location: Saxon Village near Doncaster. Buildings date to 8th century.Once a Roman Road
Default gland wrench

Is there such a thing as a 'gland wrench'? Something made for armoured cable gland terminations.Using a standard wrench or adustable in tight spaces or with gland heads made off close together makes for a difficult life. Pal in Harrison PA tells me he has had a proprietory wrench for years but has not seen one for sale for years. They are similar to regular wrenches except they have long narrow adjustable gripping sides and a swivel head.

I make of hundreds of brass cable glands need an easier method.

Frank

frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 11-29-2010, 05:53 PM   #2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
Is there such a thing as a 'gland wrench'? Something made for armoured cable gland terminations.Using a standard wrench or adustable in tight spaces or with gland heads made off close together makes for a difficult life. Pal in Harrison PA tells me he has had a proprietory wrench for years but has not seen one for sale for years. They are similar to regular wrenches except they have long narrow adjustable gripping sides and a swivel head.

Frank

I'm only guessing because I don't know what your "gland" looks like

Just a guess, would this help?:

http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/ri...6400?ref=gbase

mcclary's electrical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:03 PM   #3
Conservitum Americum

Try these

http://www.cgm-inc.com/catalog/cableglands/13_58.cspx
http://www.bimedteknik.com/electrica...Wrench.asp?b=7
LARMGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:43 PM   #4
Gone.

I see in the last pic how to use one, and I understand now what it is for, but for armored cable? what would a glanded armor cable connection look like?

Why does it seem so wrong????
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:51 PM   #5
I saw a guy do it once.

Excuse my ignorance, but what the hell is that for?
I looked at the second link, is this similar to MI cable?
SparkYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:53 PM   #6
Buzzy304E

Frank,would you be willing to take some photos and post them,on SWA and the glands used,and banjo fittings,etc.Maybe some 240 mil?I am familiar with them from my brief time overseas.I hated terminating them,but I know it's apprentice stuff to you guys.

should of......could of....would of.....might of?
ibuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:09 PM   #7
Senior Moment

Frank are you talking about fittings for CLX Cable?
rlc3854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:10 PM   #8

Location: Saxon Village near Doncaster. Buildings date to 8th century.Once a Roman Road

OK lads. Here is apic of an armiured cable gland.

Hope this helps.

Frank
Old 11-30-2010, 06:19 PM   #9
53 GONE AT LAST!

Location: UK, by the seaside, besides the sea!! No F1 Champs this seaqson, though but

have you tried these from Elite Tools on't t'interwebnet. sells on ebay...made in Sheffield

sorry, cannot seem to download the image

Last edited by Trimix-leccy; 11-30-2010 at 06:23 PM.
Trimix-leccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:59 PM   #10
DGFVT

Quote:

Frank
Try this link Frank, They are called flared nut wrenches. I have some for working on hydraulic fittings on some of my equipment which are in real tight quarters.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#flare-nut-o...enches/=9y7e27
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:40 PM   #11
Conservitum Americum

Quote:
OK lads. Here is a pic of an armored cable gland.

Hope this helps.

Frank

I still say this is it.
http://www.bimedteknik.com/electrica...Wrench.asp?b=7
LARMGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:51 AM   #12

Thanks for the links. I will look see what's on offer,

Frank.

PS Trimmix. How are you coping with the weather. Everyone of my customers are home watching day time TV and slurping lager.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:07 PM   #13
53 GONE AT LAST!

Location: UK, by the seaside, besides the sea!! No F1 Champs this seaqson, though but

Weather! Wassat?

had a bit of ice yesterday, bit of snow [2mm] today. I live on the coast about 500m from the beach. sea air seems to get rid of most of it.

picking the warm jobs at moment! doing 750k house at present!! nice job, nice client...Do not really do a lot of domestic as it is a pain in the ....!
having said that , I have 4 domestic jobs on go at present. much rather do the 'oddball' stuff along with Data and Comms. cleaner work and better pay
Old 12-03-2010, 03:22 PM   #14

You lucky blighter!!!!!!!!!. My jobs entail cranes - mast crawlers - generators - construction site temp supplies - silos - material hoists and stuff. With 12 inches of snow covering the works if the blokes are not sat in the canteen they are locked of the site. Havent earned a penny all week

Frank

Last edited by frank; 12-03-2010 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:04 PM   #15
cables.tray

Take a look at this wrench I used it a lot to install various box connectors. The benefits to me are:it use less space in between connectors and the jaws are toothless which leaves no mark on your connectors http://techno.com.my/online/images/31280.jpg

cables.tray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:21 AM   #16

I need to post a photo of the problem. Will do when next gland job pops up

Frank
Old 12-06-2010, 02:48 PM   #17

Lightbulb Ratchet & Socket Wrench for Cable Glands!

Here is a great solution from Sealcon.
This handy light weight Deep Socket Wrench, manufactured from alloy steel, is slit open along the full length to accommodate the installed cable during tightening of the dome nut. The wrench encloses the dome nut on five sides, giving the nut additional rigidity during tightening. This is especially important if a stiff cable is used.
Does not work with all Flex fittings.

* The Ratchet Wrench consists of three components: Grip = R-0100, Handle = R-0200, & Socket (which are listed below). It provides a quick & easy method of tightening cord grips. Only one Handle & Ratchet is required. Sockets are interchangeable.

Call 800-456-9012 / 303-699-1135 to spec in your application!
Sealcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:56 PM   #18
53 GONE AT LAST!

Frank, just a thought.
hows about...get a ring spanner then cut out a slot to fit over the cable, or try to get hold of a large flare nut wrench like they use on brake lines.
or butcher a 12 point socket to get the effect in the above post....Ah!, that won't work...no place for sq drive! weld a bar on the side?