CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

Old 10-23-2010, 07:30 PM   #1
4th Year Electrician

Default The handles on my pliers....

The dipped grips on the handles of my channellock 9.5 inch pliers are getting in pretty hard shape. I was wondering if you guys know of some replacement grips other than the tenit grips?

Shyguy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 10-23-2010, 07:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyguy64 View Post
The dipped grips on the handles of my channellock 9.5 inch pliers are getting in pretty hard shape. I was wondering if you guys know of some replacement grips other than the tenit grips?
Don't know what to tell you besides try to keep oil from reaching the grips, it will cause it to crack and wear away.

Frasbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:46 PM   #3
Registered Member

I would replace them with pliers that have non-dipped handles. Like the type that come on Klein Journeymen series or the Knipex Ergo grip. Those types of handles last a lot longer and are much safer since you don't get the little cracks or rips which could allow your hand to touch metal.
HackWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:48 PM   #4
4th Year Electrician

I figured i would just have to get a new pair but i thought i would ask here first to see if anybody knows where to get a pair. Ive only ever seen the red ones for Klein and ideal. Ya think they would have more types and colors but i guess I may be out of luck.
Shyguy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:52 PM   #5

If they're Channel locks go ahead and replace them with some Knipex.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:48 PM   #6

I worked with a guy who had the red replacement handle grips from Klein on his pliers.

He said they did not insulate against 277, based off his experience with them...
Old 10-24-2010, 04:09 AM   #7
Bucket Head

You could try this stuff: Plasti Dip.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:04 AM   #8
BR549

Interesting topic. I seem to be able to keep the regular old blue plastic grips in tact. Maybe the ends get worn but they are just a pair with worn handles at that point.

I worked with my father for a few years. He would get a new pair of Kliens and immediately strip the handles off.
jrannis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:11 AM   #9
jza
Mad as Hell Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
I worked with a guy who had the red replacement handle grips from Klein on his pliers.

He said they did not insulate against 277, based off his experience with them...
Oh please.
jza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:49 AM   #10

420 and 430 Channellocks don't need comfort grip handles. They were produced for many years without any grips at all.

Thosa red replacement handles for the Kleins' are not insulated at all. They are for comfort only. Kleins also came without grips for many years and they were used on hot work daily with relatively no incidents.
knowshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post

Maybe it's just early but I can't seem to conjure up a situation where channel locks would be the proper tool to use while working on energized 277.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:52 PM   #12
I have a black cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erics37 View Post
Maybe it's just early but I can't seem to conjure up a situation where channel locks would be the proper tool to use while working on energized 277.
Yeah, it's not too early. I'm having trouble conjuring up that situation as well.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowshorts View Post
420 and 430 Channellocks don't need comfort grip handles. They were produced for many years without any grips at all.

Thosa red replacement handles for the Kleins' are not insulated at all. They are for comfort only. Kleins also came without grips for many years and they were used on hot work daily with relatively no incidents.
Oh, I didn't realize.

I'll make sure to strip them off my pliers asap.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:31 PM   #14
The Alarm Guy

Send a message via Skype™ to bduerler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyguy64 View Post
Get some of the Boil on grips buy Ideal Industries. They will fit your Channellock Linemans with no problem since Ideal makes their pliers with the same dies Channellock uses. Here is a link http://www.mytoolstore.com/ideal/ide11-30.html
Old 11-07-2010, 08:19 PM   #15
"A" Inside Wireman LU 134

1. Why does it matter if channellocks are insulated? They are for pipe, boxes, etc, not 277v!

2. You don't need insulated grips on channels anyway. I bought knipex and stripped the handles right away.
pugz134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugz134 View Post
1. Why does it matter if channellocks are insulated? They are for pipe, boxes, etc, not 277v!

2. You don't need insulated grips on channels anyway. I bought knipex and stripped the handles right away.
I think he is talking about his Channellock brand lineman pliers...not tongue and groove pliers
kawimudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:50 PM   #17
"A" Inside Wireman LU 134

My bad on the Channellocks Linemans....
pugz134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:45 PM   #18

Maybe you're working some live split bolts and want some insulated handles.. It happens.

nitro71 is offline   Reply With Quote