CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

Old 08-23-2011, 09:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default Hole saw size

After 3 months of heavy use and abuse my harbor freight uni-bit/ step drill is getting dull. Was thinking about switching to hole saws but was wondering what sizes you all use the most? Was thinking about just getting a kit but, only really used my step drill for 1/2 inch ko's mc connectors.

sp009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 08-23-2011, 09:33 PM   #2
Heavily Armed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp009 View Post
After 3 months of heavy use and abuse my harbor freight uni-bit/ step drill is getting dull. Was thinking about switching to hole saws but was wondering what sizes you all use the most? Was thinking about just getting a kit but, only really used my step drill for 1/2 inch ko's mc connectors.
Just buy another unibit and use some cutting oil when drilling it will last much longer...

HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 526

I use 7/8 for 1/2 inch, 1 1/8 for 3/4 and 1 3/8 for 1" I use the Lennox carbide tipped hole saws. They seem to do a good job in carbon steel.
I will borrow the Ideal saws from work if I am working with stainless. I was told that the Ideals will cut 600 holes in stainless with out coolant. Don't know if that is true but they do a good job on stainless.

LC
Old 08-23-2011, 09:47 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,366

Rule of thumb is add 3/8" to the pipe size you want. Thus a 1" emt needs a 1 3/8" hole, etc
Dennis Alwon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis Alwon For This Useful Post:
BuzzKill (08-24-2011)
Old 08-23-2011, 09:48 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,540

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Crapshooter View Post
I use 7/8 for 1/2 inch, 1 1/8 for 3/4 and 1 3/8 for 1" I use the Lennox carbide tipped hole saws. They seem to do a good job in carbon steel.
I will borrow the Ideal saws from work if I am working with stainless. I was told that the Ideals will cut 600 holes in stainless with out coolant. Don't know if that is true but they do a good job on stainless.

LC
For what it's worth when I am cutting stainless I stuff the hole saw with a rag and soak it with cutting oil. As it spins it applies the oil to the teeth.
RIVETER is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RIVETER For This Useful Post:
kawimudslinger (08-25-2011)
Old 08-23-2011, 11:25 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,086

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
Rule of thumb is add 3/8" to the pipe size you want. Thus a 1" emt needs a 1 3/8" hole, etc
Irwin makes a unibit for knockouts. They are marked for the size knockout needed. For a 1/2" you use a 7/8" and for a 3/4" you use a 1-1/8".
A Little Short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:27 PM   #7
Fried Bologna um um good!

Rewards Points: 2,000

The greenlee 7/8" and 1 3/8" are freaking awesome.

Last edited by jwjrw; 08-24-2011 at 08:32 PM.
jwjrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:16 AM   #8
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 2,034

I got a set of the Lennox carbide hole saws for knockouts. They are freaking awesome! They are very shallow hole saws, with a spring that ejects the slug. I got them specially for a buttload of stainless work, and they're still going strong. I highly recommend them. I have a whole kit of stainless knockout punches, but I've been using the Lennox carbide knockout holesaws for knockouts up to 1-1/4", and only punching stuff that is bigger.

If I was to only buy one holesaw, it would be a 7/8", because that's the size you need to get the drawstud in for the bigger knockout punches.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:15 AM   #9
Fried Bologna um um good!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDShunk
I got a set of the Lennox carbide hole saws for knockouts. They are freaking awesome! They are very shallow hole saws, with a spring that ejects the slug. I got them specially for a buttload of stainless work, and they're still going strong. I highly recommend them. I have a whole kit of stainless knockout punches, but I've been using the Lennox carbide knockout holesaws for knockouts up to 1-1/4", and only punching stuff that is bigger.

If I was to only buy one holesaw, it would be a 7/8", because that's the size you need to get the drawstud in for the bigger knockout punches.
Ideal has the same thing
Old 08-24-2011, 07:26 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwjrw View Post
Ideal has the same thing
Ideal and Klein have the same thing. I'm pretty sure they are exactly the same though, awesome. I have Ideal. Gotta be willing to fork over some extra $ though, but you get more holes IMO
oww-is-that-hot? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:41 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,000

I would get the unibit for 1/2" & 3/4" ko's and a hone to keep it going.
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:13 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,034

I use the Blair holecutters for 1/2 through 1" conduit. I have not tried their carbide tip version, but am very pleased with how the standard ones cut and last. The key is high drilling pressure and low RPMs. We would normally use Extra Thick Tap Magic as the cutting fluid, especially if drilling stainless boxes.
don_resqcapt19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:44 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 500

The carbide hole saws are the shiznit for 1" + holes. For 1/2" and 3/4 holes, I think a sharp uni-bit is just as quick if not quicker than a hole saw, and to me makes a cleaner hole. Around here, Harbor Freight step bits cost somewhere in the 3 for $14 range. When they get dull, I throw them out and buy new ones.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:47 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
The carbide hole saws are the shiznit for 1" + holes. For 1/2" and 3/4 holes, I think a sharp uni-bit is just as quick if not quicker than a hole saw, and to me makes a cleaner hole. Around here, Harbor Freight step bits cost somewhere in the 3 for $14 range. When they get dull, I throw them out and buy new ones.
oh, that's what I forgot to say about the carbide hole saws, their holes are C-L-E-A-N
It's seriously like using a punch, and It's at least twice as fast as a unibit. That goes for 1/2", 3/4", and 1".
They're totally different than regular hole saws and don't require oil in the slightest.
At least not that I can tell.

oww-is-that-hot? is offline   Reply With Quote