CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-23-2011, 09:25 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hubbard OH
Posts: 8
Rewards Points: 10
Default Hole saw size

After 3 months of heavy use and abuse my harbor freight uni-bit/ step drill is getting dull. Was thinking about switching to hole saws but was wondering what sizes you all use the most? Was thinking about just getting a kit but, only really used my step drill for 1/2 inch ko's mc connectors.

sp009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE


Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 08-23-2011, 09:33 PM   #2
Heavily Armed Member
 
HARRY304E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Reporting from the east coast of Moonbatchusetts..
Posts: 39,497
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp009 View Post
After 3 months of heavy use and abuse my harbor freight uni-bit/ step drill is getting dull. Was thinking about switching to hole saws but was wondering what sizes you all use the most? Was thinking about just getting a kit but, only really used my step drill for 1/2 inch ko's mc connectors.
Just buy another unibit and use some cutting oil when drilling it will last much longer...

HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:44 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: east coast
Posts: 1,062
Rewards Points: 526
Default

I use 7/8 for 1/2 inch, 1 1/8 for 3/4 and 1 3/8 for 1" I use the Lennox carbide tipped hole saws. They seem to do a good job in carbon steel.
I will borrow the Ideal saws from work if I am working with stainless. I was told that the Ideals will cut 600 holes in stainless with out coolant. Don't know if that is true but they do a good job on stainless.

LC
__________________
What tools do I need to carry? Use the NEC as your guide keep all your tools ACCESSABLE but keep your everyday tools READILY ACCESSABLE.
Lone Crapshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:47 PM   #4
Moderator

 
Dennis Alwon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 15,624
Rewards Points: 2,366
Default

Rule of thumb is add 3/8" to the pipe size you want. Thus a 1" emt needs a 1 3/8" hole, etc
Dennis Alwon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis Alwon For This Useful Post:
BuzzKill (08-24-2011)
Old 08-23-2011, 09:48 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: kentucky
Posts: 9,547
Rewards Points: 2,540
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Crapshooter View Post
I use 7/8 for 1/2 inch, 1 1/8 for 3/4 and 1 3/8 for 1" I use the Lennox carbide tipped hole saws. They seem to do a good job in carbon steel.
I will borrow the Ideal saws from work if I am working with stainless. I was told that the Ideals will cut 600 holes in stainless with out coolant. Don't know if that is true but they do a good job on stainless.

LC
For what it's worth when I am cutting stainless I stuff the hole saw with a rag and soak it with cutting oil. As it spins it applies the oil to the teeth.
RIVETER is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RIVETER For This Useful Post:
kawimudslinger (08-25-2011)
Old 08-23-2011, 11:25 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
A Little Short's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: US
Posts: 2,564
Rewards Points: 2,086
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
Rule of thumb is add 3/8" to the pipe size you want. Thus a 1" emt needs a 1 3/8" hole, etc
Irwin makes a unibit for knockouts. They are marked for the size knockout needed. For a 1/2" you use a 7/8" and for a 3/4" you use a 1-1/8".
A Little Short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:27 PM   #7
Fried Bologna um um good!
 
jwjrw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: nc
Posts: 8,092
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

The greenlee 7/8" and 1 3/8" are freaking awesome.
__________________
The more I learn the less I seem to know......

Last edited by jwjrw; 08-24-2011 at 08:32 PM.
jwjrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:16 AM   #8
Wire Ninja
 
MDShunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Beautiful Cumberland Valley, in PA
Posts: 17,322
Rewards Points: 2,034
Default

I got a set of the Lennox carbide hole saws for knockouts. They are freaking awesome! They are very shallow hole saws, with a spring that ejects the slug. I got them specially for a buttload of stainless work, and they're still going strong. I highly recommend them. I have a whole kit of stainless knockout punches, but I've been using the Lennox carbide knockout holesaws for knockouts up to 1-1/4", and only punching stuff that is bigger.

If I was to only buy one holesaw, it would be a 7/8", because that's the size you need to get the drawstud in for the bigger knockout punches.
__________________
One reason not to give DIY advice:
Catch a man a fish and you can sell it to him.
Teach a man to fish and you’ve ruined a good business opportunity.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:15 AM   #9
Fried Bologna um um good!
 
jwjrw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: nc
Posts: 8,092
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDShunk
I got a set of the Lennox carbide hole saws for knockouts. They are freaking awesome! They are very shallow hole saws, with a spring that ejects the slug. I got them specially for a buttload of stainless work, and they're still going strong. I highly recommend them. I have a whole kit of stainless knockout punches, but I've been using the Lennox carbide knockout holesaws for knockouts up to 1-1/4", and only punching stuff that is bigger.

If I was to only buy one holesaw, it would be a 7/8", because that's the size you need to get the drawstud in for the bigger knockout punches.
Ideal has the same thing
__________________
The more I learn the less I seem to know......
jwjrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:26 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 201
Rewards Points: 150
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwjrw View Post
Ideal has the same thing
Ideal and Klein have the same thing. I'm pretty sure they are exactly the same though, awesome. I have Ideal. Gotta be willing to fork over some extra $ though, but you get more holes IMO
oww-is-that-hot? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:41 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: amerika
Posts: 2,327
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

I would get the unibit for 1/2" & 3/4" ko's and a hone to keep it going.
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:13 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: IL
Posts: 2,491
Rewards Points: 1,034
Default

I use the Blair holecutters for 1/2 through 1" conduit. I have not tried their carbide tip version, but am very pleased with how the standard ones cut and last. The key is high drilling pressure and low RPMs. We would normally use Extra Thick Tap Magic as the cutting fluid, especially if drilling stainless boxes.
don_resqcapt19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:44 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
MarkyMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 763
Rewards Points: 500
Default

The carbide hole saws are the shiznit for 1" + holes. For 1/2" and 3/4 holes, I think a sharp uni-bit is just as quick if not quicker than a hole saw, and to me makes a cleaner hole. Around here, Harbor Freight step bits cost somewhere in the 3 for $14 range. When they get dull, I throw them out and buy new ones.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:47 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 201
Rewards Points: 150
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
The carbide hole saws are the shiznit for 1" + holes. For 1/2" and 3/4 holes, I think a sharp uni-bit is just as quick if not quicker than a hole saw, and to me makes a cleaner hole. Around here, Harbor Freight step bits cost somewhere in the 3 for $14 range. When they get dull, I throw them out and buy new ones.
oh, that's what I forgot to say about the carbide hole saws, their holes are C-L-E-A-N
It's seriously like using a punch, and It's at least twice as fast as a unibit. That goes for 1/2", 3/4", and 1".
They're totally different than regular hole saws and don't require oil in the slightest.
At least not that I can tell.

oww-is-that-hot? is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wire size and breaker size D neitzke General Electrical Discussion 3 07-14-2011 03:00 PM
Hole Pro XL-Arbor Hole Saw Adapter KayJay Tools, Equipment and New Products 11 12-01-2010 02:08 PM
Is there a minimum size Wire size for commercial? bushwickbill NEC Code Forum 20 10-30-2010 08:35 AM
Ground size vs. Ungrounded Size Conduit Phil General Electrical Discussion 5 04-27-2010 08:26 PM
What size hole saw for 4" Square Box Fixture Cover kornbln General Electrical Discussion 20 10-04-2009 07:56 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:46 PM.


Copyright © 2006-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PaintTalk.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com