CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

Old 05-29-2009, 11:33 PM   #1

Default IBEW tool list

ok i have all but about 2 things from my apprentice tool list. it say sat the very bottle Small ordinary tools. Well half the people i talk to say hand tools, another half(including our foreman and Project manager) say anything that isn't motorized. So what about a hole saw kit and a unibit? lol looking for opinion and what people think about what this can cover

CFine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 05-30-2009, 12:26 AM   #2
Ambassador of Amps

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFine View Post
ok i have all but about 2 things from my apprentice tool list. it say sat the very bottle Small ordinary tools. Well half the people i talk to say hand tools, another half(including our foreman and Project manager) say anything that isn't motorized. So what about a hole saw kit and a unibit? lol looking for opinion and what people think about what this can cover
Bits and blades are usually NOT on the tool list. They are consumables, that you shouldnt have to provide.

~Matt

Advertising space available. Inquire within.
TOOL_5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:57 AM   #3

Things you need for most locals -

1 Pouch ( I have a nailbag for "other things") (Klien)
1 8" Cresent wrench
2 pair of channellocks 430 & 420 (Channelock brand)
3 pair of Pliers - Lineman, offset Dikes, Needlenose (Klien)
3 Screwdrivers - 2 straightblades 6" & 4", 1 #2 Phillips (Klien)
25' x 1.25" Tape measure (Fatmax)
9" torpedo bubble (Klien)
1 "No dog"
1 set of Allen Keys (Klien)
Sharpie

Edit - Make sure NONE of the stuff looks like it came out of the store yesterday....they'll have a enough stuff to rib you about as you are new to the industry
#2 Pencil
VOM (Fluke that cost me around $50)
Partial roll of japwrap
20 oz. Framing hammer
Hacksaw

Don't like what I bring to the job? send me home. Bet it's enough tools to start any job. if you don't like what I brought, then please get me adequate toolage. If I have the tools, material, and information, I can build just about anything

Last edited by Rockyd; 05-30-2009 at 03:59 AM. Reason: Educating
Rockyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:38 PM   #4

yea i have all that minus the cresent wrench, and the screw driver set i just got a 10 in 1 for now. but yea the tool bag was a odd thing, they said get one yet they dont want you to wear it. lol
Old 05-30-2009, 12:43 PM   #5
Master Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyd View Post
Things you need for most locals -

1 Pouch ( I have a nailbag for "other things") (Klien)
1 8" Cresent wrench
2 pair of channellocks 430 & 420 (Channelock brand)
3 pair of Pliers - Lineman, offset Dikes, Needlenose (Klien)
3 Screwdrivers - 2 straightblades 6" & 4", 1 #2 Phillips (Klien)
25' x 1.25" Tape measure (Fatmax)
9" torpedo bubble (Klien)
1 "No dog"
1 set of Allen Keys (Klien)
Sharpie

Edit - Make sure NONE of the stuff looks like it came out of the store yesterday....they'll have a enough stuff to rib you about as you are new to the industry
#2 Pencil
VOM (Fluke that cost me around $50)
Partial roll of japwrap
20 oz. Framing hammer
Hacksaw

Don't like what I bring to the job? send me home. Bet it's enough tools to start any job. if you don't like what I brought, then please get me adequate toolage. If I have the tools, material, and information, I can build just about anything
what about nut drivers
electricalperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:43 PM   #6
Master Electrician

Quote:
yea i have all that minus the cresent wrench, and the screw driver set i just got a 10 in 1 for now. but yea the tool bag was a odd thing, they said get one yet they dont want you to wear it. lol
get a veto pro pac
Old 05-30-2009, 12:47 PM   #7

Whats the cost? i'm budgeting hard core right now, i got rent and other bills to pay. lol. so i'm getting tools as fast as i can, and they JW and Foreman are understanding of that so i dont' catch crap for it. and what about tool belts? people want you to buy then yet not wear them or they claim they aren't on the tool list yet you see it clearly their.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:58 PM   #8
Master Electrician

Quote:
Whats the cost? i'm budgeting hard core right now, i got rent and other bills to pay. lol. so i'm getting tools as fast as i can, and they JW and Foreman are understanding of that so i dont' catch crap for it. and what about tool belts? people want you to buy then yet not wear them or they claim they aren't on the tool list yet you see it clearly their.
i would buy a tool bag or box to keep the tools in and use a belt to hold the days tools like linesman pliers, dikes philips and straight screwdriver etc. you dont have to carry every tool you own on your waist every day. i see guys do that all the time. they are wiring a house and they have every nutdriver made, conduit reaming tools, channellocks, etc on there waist when all they need is a hammer, pliers and a tape
Old 05-30-2009, 01:02 PM   #9

Quote:
what about tool belts?
You have to have something to carry your tools in. I hardly ever wear a tool belt. but it is a convenient tool carrier. Most commercial, you can carry what you need in the pockets. Service work? I will carry the pouch in and hang the belt close so I have anything neccesary to fix the problem.

If you have to buy nut drivers ( I have them in the home town) buy the whole set, or if you have to go tight, go yellow, brown, red, and blue first (5/16", 1/4", 7/16", & 3/8").

With a pouch, all the tools are readily visible, and in place.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:05 PM   #10

I have a 4 pocket pouch, and i keep my linesmen on it, my 10 in one, and change between my wire strippers, needle noses, and smurf cutter when they got us doing the wiring/smurfing for the condo's we're doing. and a 10 pocket pouch for when we are working on everything under the sun in the building.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:07 PM   #11
Mighty Rat

My old tool list from the hall had some odd tools on it. A tap set, folding wooden rule, and off set screw driver.

Most open shops don't have a written tool list. One I worked for did, and it required a Knock Out set up to 2".
Minuteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 01:07 PM   #12

Shave off the back of the channy's for a reamer. All-thread will work in a pinch(learned from Peterd's top notch hack academy).
Old 05-30-2009, 01:25 PM   #13

lol i've seen guys use they linesmen for a reamer and some use needle noses. a few asked me if they could use mine, just said no, i only let the JW i'm working with use my tools and other then that i don't let any one else. worried if i do let them i might not see the tools again.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:30 PM   #14
Master Electrician

Quote:
lol i've seen guys use they linesmen for a reamer and some use needle noses. a few asked me if they could use mine, just said no, i only let the JW i'm working with use my tools and other then that i don't let any one else. worried if i do let them i might not see the tools again.
i wouldnt even let the jman use my tools. i let my helper use mine sometimes but hate letting other electricians use them. one of the guys at work had my greenlee adjustable wrench for months now. dont ever let people use your tools they will always abuse them, loose them or just never give them back
Old 05-30-2009, 01:38 PM   #15

yea i'm thinking of just keeping the hole saw kit in my bag with the unibit if they wanna bitch then i'll take it home but not till the company supplies me with one of each. but i'm just trying to make sure i get the correct tools and anything that might help. kinda a pain in the ass when you have a tool list that you follow it and yet they whin at you when you have something they dont' have.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:43 PM   #16
Master Electrician

Quote:
yea i'm thinking of just keeping the hole saw kit in my bag with the unibit if they wanna bitch then i'll take it home but not till the company supplies me with one of each. but i'm just trying to make sure i get the correct tools and anything that might help. kinda a pain in the ass when you have a tool list that you follow it and yet they whin at you when you have something they dont' have.
if your an apprentice then i dont think you should be required to bring holesaws or things like that. a cordless with a unibit is different but the company should supply hole saws, bits, blades etc. they should also replace your unibit if it goes dull. lenox makes a nice unibit kit that i picked up at a supply house. i dont remember the price but it was goodsince it came with 3 different unibits. i usually use the small 3/8 andthe 7/8 anything else i use a slug buster
Old 05-30-2009, 02:00 PM   #17

yea all of us have asked for hole saws and unibits and yet to get one, i'm just impatient and said you know what i'll get my own, and just get the job done, i hate sitting around or trying to do the job w/o the right tool, spent 3 days not working just stting getting paid cause we didn't ahve anything to work with. the main problem is our parts guys doesn't write **** down but we're slowly getting ahead of where we need to be.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:11 PM   #18
Master Electrician

isnt the union supposed to supply you with tools like that for the job? i would supply all my guys with bits and holesaws. hopefully they wont abuse that privledge and always ask me for a new holesaw kit every other week. arbors go missing for unknown reasons. bits break sometimes too usually due to abuse or not using the washer trick when drilling metal with a smaller holesaw
Old 05-30-2009, 02:44 PM   #19

yea they do when we ask for it, its just our parts guy is a ****ing moron and we've been a week w/o supplies we got 2 floors that are boxed that we can smurf up due to lack of hole saws, and strapping material. he's only a helper but still that isn't an excuse, friday i talked to the foreman and gave him 4 pages of thing we all need and who needed them. so that should fix the problem.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:09 PM   #20

Quote:
yea they do when we ask for it, its just our parts guy is a ****ing moron and we've been a week w/o supplies we got 2 floors that are boxed that we can smurf up due to lack of hole saws, and strapping material. he's only a helper but still that isn't an excuse, friday i talked to the foreman and gave him 4 pages of thing we all need and who needed them. so that should fix the problem.
Time for the management to plumb up the parts guy...if he fails to perform after a visit from upstairs, it will be time for him to go...You can see the importance of shedding deadweight - look how it brings down the whole job. A happy jobsite is a productive jobsite