CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

Old 09-08-2009, 10:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default Ideal 61-797 Megger

I was wondering if anyone has used one of these. We have been having problems at my company with this megger. We basicly cant get it to fail. We took a piece of 500 mcm and taped up the end and took a hack saw and cut it in the middle, and exposed the copper. then we took one lead and stuck it into the wire and put the other lead to ground. We tested at 1000v and it would not fail. we're not sure if the meter is broken or not but it is brand new so any help would be great.

thanks
Tony

dareibreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 09-08-2009, 10:36 PM   #2
I own stock in FotoMat!

Rewards Points: 2,112

So what path between the conductor and ground did you provide? If there isn't one, the megger can't find it.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:50 PM   #3

nothing i suppose. are you saying you would need a jumper from the conductor to the ground?
Old 09-08-2009, 10:51 PM   #4
I own stock in FotoMat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dareibreathe View Post
nothing i suppose. are you saying you would need a jumper from the conductor to the ground?
Unless you provide a path (circuit), all you're measuring is the resistance of air. If you put a jumper in, you'll end up measuring the resistance of the jumper

If you're up for a long read, check out Stitch in Time.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:54 PM   #5

so your saying instead of taping up the other end of the wire in question We should have a jumper to ground on one end and on the other would be one lead from the megger and the other lead would also go to ground?
Old 09-08-2009, 11:17 PM   #6
I own stock in FotoMat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dareibreathe View Post
so your saying instead of taping up the other end of the wire in question We should have a jumper to ground on one end and on the other would be one lead from the megger and the other lead would also go to ground?
What I'm saying, if I read your OP right, is all you're doing is measuring the resistance of the air between the conductor and ground. You could completely strip the conductor of insulation and as long as it's not grounded, the megger will pass it.

Now, put some dirt, or grease, or oil or water 'twixt the wire and ground and see what happens.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:33 PM   #7
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 150

dareibreathe, what are you doing with the megger, what is your purpose in using it?
BadSplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:58 PM   #8

"We took a piece of 500 mcm and taped up the end and took a hack saw and cut it in the middle, and exposed the copper. then we took one lead and stuck it into the wire and put the other lead to ground. We tested at 1000v and it would not fail. we're not sure if the meter is broken or not but it is brand new so any help would be great."

Of course it would not fail, you dont have a complete loop. Thats the purpose of megger if to see if there is a short to ground due to insulation
issue. The only way you can get it to fail is to make sure your distance from ground and the expose copper is enough to cause an arc.
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:54 PM   #9
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 2,000

You're lucky no one got hurt. guessing at how to use a megger is not smart.
mcclary's electrical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 08:17 AM   #10
Zog

Rewards Points: 2,014

dare I breathe, dare i ask, did your employer provide you with any training on how to use your new toy?

Zog is online now   Reply With Quote