Electrician Talk banner

Impact extensions

4K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  kleidealee 
#1 ·
Just wondering what brand of extensions you guys use with your impacts when you need a bit more reach? I have the M18 fuel and so far the spring loaded quick change ends on 12" extensions keep grenading. To be honest I think they just can't handle to force of the impacting action.

#4 ·
Dewalt used to make some good extensions but they quit making them for some reason. They made a six and a 12 inch. I bent my six a few months ago and can't find another.

I got an Irwin to replace it but haven tried it yet. I bought a 12 inch dewalt that the local lumber yard that was collecting dust. It was cheaper than the Irwin 6 inch one.

#8 ·
Love the Daredevil bits, but drilling with an impact is just too slow. I do it only on the odd instance that I have no drill handy.

As for the 1/4" extensions, no problems yet with the Irwin I switched to after having a couple of Milwaukee ones constantly jam up, though it may just be a matter of time. And that was just with the M12 Fuel.

#13 ·
I use Malco. They specialize in HVAC tools. The head on the end of the extension is smaller than all the other brands I've seen, better for getting into tight spots. I haven't managed to break one yet, even grabbing it with channelocks for a little extra torque.

#23 ·
For me, it is not so much a "need" but it makes me work quicker. I mean, my grandfather used hand drills and he knew twice the theory I do, and he has been dead for 13 years.

Still plenty of people I see using the old DeWalt drills with the phenomenal 18v NiCad packs, but things are changing, and impacts are part of that change. They come in handy for metal work, which is a big deal in commercial.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.