Klein CL2300 Clamp, Can't Zero DC Amps - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By daveEM
  • 1 Post By 99cents
  • 1 Post By inetdog
  • 3 Post By MechanicalDVR

Old 01-11-2017, 12:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 16
Default Klein CL2300 Clamp, Can't Zero DC Amps

I purchased a Klein CL2300 meter. Instructions show how to “zero” the DC Amps. But, it won’t zero. It shows -16 amps. Seems to work fine when I use it on welders leads. I’ve done this in the past with analog clamp gauges. Now, with digital, everything pretty well works the same, but can’t zero. I don’t remember having to zero the analog types. I’m not a professional electrician, I’m a welding inspector. I’ve done this a million times in the past, but “zeroing” a digital meter is all new to me.
1. Should it show “zero”, when I zero it?
2. Is it normal that it “not” show zero? Is it picking up stray signals?
3. If this is normal, do I have to “add” that -16 amps to my final positive readings?
4. What should I have for lunch?
Bob
SlingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2017, 12:00 PM   #2

Oh yeah... I did read the instructions,,,, and followed them....
Old 01-11-2017, 12:22 PM   #3
:-)

Rewards Points: 940

Klein makes really good pliers... or they used to. I think the pliers arestill pretty goog actually.
99cents likes this.
I like perfect.
daveEM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:33 PM   #4

That's the reason I went with Klein, they always made good pliers.... ;-D
For the limited use I have for a clamp meter, I went a little cheaper than Fluke...
Old 01-11-2017, 12:44 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingBob View Post
That's the reason I went with Klein, they always made good pliers.... ;-D
For the limited use I have for a clamp meter, I went a little cheaper than Fluke...
You get the quality you pay for. We buy our guys Fluke and never have issues unless they are damaged during shipping
MCasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:04 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,240

Do you mean it shows minus 16 amps? You typed -16.
I would put it on a known current carrying conductor and see if its accurate.
I used the DC function on my clamp many times. Never saw zero with clamp empty.
Close but not zero.
Thats the price you pay for digital technology.
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:09 PM   #7
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 9,938

Quote:
Oh yeah... I did read the instructions,,,, and followed them....
You're lucky. I can't read Chinese.
splatz likes this.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 99cents For This Useful Post:
MCasey (01-11-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 01:10 PM   #8

Yes, it is -16 amps (negative). I'm not sure if it is supposed to show dead on zero as does a volt meter, or whether it picks up stray signals when zero'd and empty. Or, maybe it's my magnetic personality. I've messed with this for a couple of weeks, and searched the internet to no avail. Whether I'm in my pickup, walking around in a field, or setting in my recliner, it doesn't go to zero when I press the zero button. It does beep, but I need to know I've got accuracy, and not just a cute R2D2 (star wars?) beep.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:02 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 34

When you reverse the direction of the clamp on a wire carrying a known current do you get the same reading (but negative) or one differing by 32A?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Frank Mc likes this.

Last edited by inetdog; 01-11-2017 at 03:29 PM.
inetdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:18 PM   #10

Quote:
When you reverse the direction of the clamp on a wire carrying a known current do you get the same reading or one differing by 32A?
Good Question, I haven't paid any attention to that.... That'll be my next trial.... Why didn't I think of that...? I will advise when I find out...
And thank you...
Old 01-11-2017, 04:10 PM   #11

Well, as a matter of fact.... There does appear to be about 30 amps different when I turn it around on the same cable.... phunky crap.... I think I'm gonna shop for a Fluke...
The Following User Says Thank You to SlingBob For This Useful Post:
Flyingsod (01-11-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 06:09 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 34

Quote:
Well, as a matter of fact.... There does appear to be about 30 amps different when I turn it around on the same cable.... phunky crap.... I think I'm gonna shop for a Fluke...
That finding proves beyond any doubt that there is a problem with zeroing.
Whether that is a defect in one unit or a problem with the design will probably remain unknown unless you make a warranty claim.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
inetdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:33 AM   #13

Default Problem solved (maye temporarily)

Klein suggested taking it to any vendor that deals in the products and they should exchange it. I walked into a tan and orange box store, they said no problem, go find one on the shelf and we'll just exchange it. They did. May not be the top of the line, but that's great customer service. Now if Ford and Chevy would do the same thing.....
Old 01-12-2017, 11:46 AM   #14
Deplorable-Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,108

Quote:
Klein suggested taking it to any vendor that deals in the products and they should exchange it. I walked into a tan and orange box store, they said no problem, go find one on the shelf and we'll just exchange it. They did. May not be the top of the line, but that's great customer service. Now if Ford and Chevy would do the same thing.....
That reminds me of Snap-on sockets being guaranteed for life. I have broken plenty of them and had them replaced free of charge. Then there was Craftsman, also lifetime warranty and about 1/10th the price and I've only broken like one.

Top of the line is often skewed. You lucked out in the way they handled it.

I'd never take the chance on a Klein meter, nor would I buy a Fluke screwdriver.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere" mlk
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote