CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

Old 02-19-2012, 10:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 77
Default Klein Journeyman screwdrivers...

I was looking at these drivers and wanted to hear some opinions on these before i throw down the money. Anyone have some thoughts on these?

astrodoggie3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-19-2012, 10:55 PM   #2
Electricity is Amazing!

Rewards Points: 504

The handles are good. Probably the best marker on the end to show what the tip is that I have ever seen

The tips on mine did not seem to last very long. Mainly the p2. The flat heads lasted like pretty much any slotted screwdriver. I quit using them about a month ago when I decided to try the Weras. I don't think I'm going to go back to them for my primary set.

thoenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:02 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 532

I have several of these drivers. I really like the handle fit and feel. The tips and shanks seem to be the same as the regular Klein drivers. I like Klein tools, but some folks on here, seem not to. You can order these, at a discount price, from Pro Tools Discount- protoolsdicount.com
varmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:09 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

I got the 7 piece set about 2 months ago, I am a klein guy myself, and so far no complaints. In fact i like them better than the standard cushion handle set that I am so used to for years. The design of the handles seems to allow more torquing force, and as someone said earlier, the end marking makes it alot easier to see what you are grabbing. I would recomend, but you can get them for a lot less than at your supply house, I picked up my 7 piece set for about 28 bucks, so look around.........good luck
Old 02-20-2012, 10:21 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

I got a set at home depot on clearance a while back for $19 and like them much better than most other regular drivers that don't cost more than $50 for a set.
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:52 PM   #6

I bought the 5-piece set and i love the grip on these things. They smell like puke though! What about Robertson drivers? It would be nice if they did nutdrivers with this style handle... maybe a triple tap handle as well.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:00 PM   #7
Electricity is Amazing!

Rewards Points: 504

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrodoggie3000 View Post
I bought the 5-piece set and i love the grip on these things. They smell like puke though! What about Robertson drivers? It would be nice if they did nutdrivers with this style handle... maybe a triple tap handle as well.
Well at least mine weren't the only ones that stunk.
thoenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:54 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 75

They are rebadged Witte drivers.
Elec-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elec-Tech View Post
They are rebadged Witte drivers.
The Klein Grip-it screwdrivers are made by Witte in Germany not the Journeyman which has a USA marking on the handle.
Flectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmit View Post
I have several of these drivers. I really like the handle fit and feel. The tips and shanks seem to be the same as the regular Klein drivers. I like Klein tools, but some folks on here, seem not to. You can order these, at a discount price, from Pro Tools Discount- protoolsdicount.com
Thanks for the tip. I just ordered the 7 piece set last night. At that price I had to give them a shot.
sparky711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:56 PM   #11

Let me know if you find a way to get the smell off of them! I love them to death, but the smell drives even my co-workers out of the room.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Let me know if you find a way to get the smell off of them! I love them to death, but the smell drives even my co-workers out of the room.
That's funny. How bad can it be? I have three kids under 5 so I have some tricks up my sleeve for odor elimination. I'll let you know if I find something that works!
sparky711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:08 PM   #13

Please do... i have tried Goof-off, alcohol wipes, and dish soap with a scrub brush. Maybe Febreeze?
Old 02-25-2012, 05:27 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrodoggie3000
A shower...?

I kid, I kid. You try the ever famous tomato sauce? If it works for skunk it should work for Klein!
TattooMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:33 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,000

They do smell pretty bad out of the box, but I've had them long enough they don't smell.

By the way, their #2 phillips isn't any good and I almost never use #1P. But I still use all 3 flatheads and the #3 phillips regularly. I've banged on them a bit and they've held up. I wouldn't necessarily buy them again but they're doing good after over a year of use.
Frasbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:39 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 2,080

...klein tools used to be the cats meow, now they are just an overpriced set of screwdrivers. They should have maintained the quality with the increased pricing.....
360max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:55 AM   #17
I saw a guy do it once.

Rewards Points: 500

I've switched over to Wera for my everyday drivers.
SparkYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:07 AM   #18

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkYZ View Post
I've switched over to Wera for my everyday drivers.
Wera originals are strong and durable, this laser edging they use colored in a goldish tone is horrible. They hold screws well for a couple uses but have no durability and the lasering wears down fast. And the larger drivers they have are uncomfortably large handled and the two biggest sizes they make have zero grip.

Give Felo screwdriver a chance, even their largest handle is comfy and they make all sizes with a rubbery grip and metal threw capped shaft it you like that. The absolute strongest driver I ever seen, even Klein in it's glory days couldn't stand with these tools. Ergo in a more subtle way than Wera's, Stronger than everything combined, and priced to buy.
Felo screwdrivers the best you will ever buy.
Flectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:14 PM   #19

So the #2 phillips is garbage... that really is a problem since it is the most used driver. For those of you who love Klein tools, how do you deal with a #2 phillips always falling apart on you? Do the supply houses or Home Depot give you a new one?
Old 02-28-2012, 07:21 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
So the #2 phillips is garbage... that really is a problem since it is the most used driver. For those of you who love Klein tools, how do you deal with a #2 phillips always falling apart on you? Do the supply houses or Home Depot give you a new one?
Go with a german screwdriver.

Seriously, I compared the two and the german's isn't tapered as much, "wider" if you will, and slips less out of the fastener.

Frasbee is offline   Reply With Quote