CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

Old 12-09-2010, 01:14 PM   #1
CNC

Rewards Points: 75
Default Klein multimeter mm2000

Need a multimeter in a pinch. Going to grab the Klein mm2000 at home depot, $99, I can always return it. Anyone using this? Or the clamp Meter?

CNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 12-09-2010, 05:08 PM   #2
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNC View Post
Need a multimeter in a pinch. Going to grab the Klein mm2000 at home depot, $99, I can always return it. Anyone using this? Or the clamp Meter?

They look like toys

mcclary's electrical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:09 PM   #3
Lucky to be Alive

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclary's electrical View Post
They look like toys
You just don't like Klein. I've played with one of these. No toy. Built well, and the display is one of the best I've ever saw.

If I needed a new meter, I'd buy one. But, my tired old Fluke is still working.

If you buy it CNC, give us a review.
Voltage Hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:36 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

I've used one before, they seem pretty well built but and you get a lot of meter for you money but they are very big and boxy feeling it would take a while to get used to it. The screen is also nice and big and has a really good blue backlight, the best light ive seen in a meter i think. put it together with the magnetic hanger strap and you got a pretty good meter.
tedsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:57 AM   #5
CNC

Rewards Points: 75

I grabbed one today at home depot. I got the bag for 12 bucks too. For $99, it does a lot. I'm a fluke guy, but needed one quick. Screen is great, it took a 10' drop off the ladder already, it's tough, nice rubber coating.
Probes are cheap. I like orange? It's not bad, I won't return it I like options.
CNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:12 AM   #6
Fried Bologna um um good!

I bought the ideal clamp from HD for 79.00 after my fluke was stolen. It does everything I need it to. They even replaced it for free after I blew it up...
Old 12-10-2010, 11:52 AM   #7

I hate my Ideal Meter. Has a lifetime warranty but I don't think that applies if I smash it.
nitro71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:25 PM   #8
I void warranties

Rewards Points: 2,100

I've looked at the Klein meters and I'm not impressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwjrw
They even replaced it for free after I blew it up...

Jlarson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNC View Post
I grabbed one today at home depot. I got the bag for 12 bucks too. For $99, it does a lot. I'm a fluke guy, but needed one quick. Screen is great, it took a 10' drop off the ladder already, it's tough, nice rubber coating.
Probes are cheap. I like orange? It's not bad, I won't return it I like options.
How did this decision work out? Still satisfied?

There was a Klein tool rep at school the other day. He had lots of Klein stuff, including several meters, and he let me put my grubby paws on them. I didn't care for the feel of the MM2000 that you mentioned you bought, but I thought the CL2000 clamp meter felt solid. It felt ergonomically correct in my hand. I felt comfortable with the thumb wheel, even while holding it in my left hand and using my index finger to roll it. It seemed to have some decent features, even though it doesn't go to 600 amps like the fluke I've been looking at.

Was just curious if you were still using it at all, and satisfied with it.

The Klein rep promised they were great meters...
Demac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:58 PM   #10

Why would a Klein rep not promise the stock he is selling is great?

For the Made in USA whores, I believe those meters are made in China.
Frasbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:18 PM   #11
Lucky to be Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post

The Klein meters are made in Korea, not China. I too would like to see Made in USA, but if it can't be that, I prefer Korea over China.

Also, for the Made in USA whores, Fluke only makes their DMM's in the USA. I don't know of a single Fluke clamp that is made here. My T5-600 says "Made in China" on it.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post

I meant it as a joke, because you're right, of course he'd say they are the best.

They are made in Korea, as Voltage Hazard mentioned. I don't know the exact connection, but they bear a striking resemblance to the clamp meters made by UEi.

And yes, I've looked at many fluke clamps in the 330's line, and all of them I looked at were made in china. My journeyman might have shed a tear or two when he lectured me on buying Fluke because they are made in the USA and I pointed at his Fluke 335 and broke the news.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:35 PM   #13
Lucky to be Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demac View Post
They are made in Korea, as Voltage Hazard mentioned. I don't know the exact connection, but they bear a striking resemblance to the clamp meters made by UEi.
Maybe this is why...........

http://news.thomasnet.com/companysto...nicians-840293
Old 03-10-2011, 08:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltage Hazard View Post
You're awesome...

Thx.