Electrician Talk banner

knife sharpening

7K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Electrical Student 
#1 ·
Seems like there was a thread on this the other day? Well anyways what I've always used to keep my pocket knife, hunting knife and wire skinning knife was the ceramic rod out of high pressure sodium lamps, after their replacement life, I've broken the exterior glass envelope, salvaged the ceramic rod, epoxied it into an old multi- blade screwdriver handle, or dowel rod, and put in my tool box for in field use, makes the edge shave able.

#4 ·
I use a diamond stone on mine. The best thing I've seen is a bench grinder, turned backwards so the wheel spins up, with a fine grit sand flapper on one side and a buffing wheel on the other.
You only have to use the sanding wheel if your blade is fubared and the buffing wheel gets it surgical sharp.

They have a setup like this at a meat processing plant here. I've been going to make one for myself but haven't messed with it yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.