CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

Old 01-21-2009, 04:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,000
Default Knives

I'm looking to buy a new pocket knife...I have used Spyderco for years, but I was eyeing Benchmade knives mainly the 580 or 585. It seems to be a pretty tough knife. Anyone have any experience with Benchmade stuff?

cdnelectrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-21-2009, 06:05 PM   #2
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnelectrician View Post
I'm looking to buy a new pocket knife...I have used Spyderco for years, but I was eyeing Benchmade knives mainly the 580 or 585. It seems to be a pretty tough knife. Anyone have any experience with Benchmade stuff?
ive seen knives like that. i would rather have a klein pocketknife than one of those fancy ones. they look expensive

electricalperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:30 PM   #3
"A" inside wireman

Send a message via Yahoo to randomkiller

I have had good luck with Benchmade stuff but I think it is expensive for a work knife. I like the new model Klein with the cutting and screwdriver blade: https://www.kleinconnection.com/weba...driver--Blades

Been carrying that since it came out. I was given a nice SOG electricians knife a few months ago and have had it replaced under warranty three times in as many months.
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

"One Nation Under God"

Last edited by randomkiller; 01-21-2009 at 08:32 PM.
randomkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:34 PM   #4

I have a work knife (the Klein cable splicers knife) I just like to have a good knife in my pocket at all times I won't be using it to strip wire thats for sure!
Old 01-21-2009, 08:38 PM   #5
"A" inside wireman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnelectrician View Post
I have a work knife (the Klein cable splicers knife) I just like to have a good knife in my pocket at all times I won't be using it to strip wire thats for sure!

If it's just to have a good slicer, I like the Kershaw assisted openers, good steel, light weight and very quick.
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

"One Nation Under God"
Old 01-21-2009, 08:56 PM   #6
Master Electrician

heres a nice slicerhttp://www.switchblades.it/bin/ab.cg...3-205188116142
electricalperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:36 PM   #7
"A" inside wireman

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricalperson View Post

Those are pretty low grade steel blades. I have already picked up a couple.

"One Nation Under God"
Old 01-22-2009, 09:40 PM   #8
Wire Ninja

A dull knife ticks me off, and I don't have the time or patience to sharpen a pocketknife. For that reason, I just grab a utility knife, like a Stanley 99, when I need to cut something. I see now that many companies have a pocketknife that takes regular utility knife blades.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:08 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDShunk View Post
A dull knife ticks me off, and I don't have the time or patience to sharpen a pocketknife. For that reason, I just grab a utility knife, like a Stanley 99, when I need to cut something.

Once again I agree. I never use a pocket knife for that very reason. The razor knife is the only knife that's every been of any value to me for doing electrical work.
user4818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:33 PM   #10

ive got a decent gerber that i carry 24/7.

the trick to sharpening a knife is to keep it sharp, if its good steel as soon as it starts to lose its edge just a few strokes on a stone will hone it right up.
mattsilkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:51 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 500

Knives and razor knives dull pretty quickly in my opinion. I keep a razor blade for work because to me it doesn't make sense to trash a 50 dollar plus knife while at work and razors work really well for awhile at least. I have a decent knife for just everyday whatever stuff http://www.outdoorpros.com/Prod/Colu...e=2&cvsfp=8481
Old 01-23-2009, 01:50 AM   #12

This is my absolute most favourite knife for electrical work from romex to 500 MCM I love it! http://www.mytoolstore.com/klein/44200.html

I just love having a good knife in my pocket at all times...I have a little collection going lol
Old 01-23-2009, 12:27 PM   #13

Got a Buck that is at least 10 years old and holds an edge like nobody's business! I always wonder about the guy with a dull blade. Is he sharper than his tool? I know, time constraints are a drag, but a couple of swipes across a good steel, or hone fix a lot of problems before they get there.
Rockyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by headrec View Post
Knives and razor knives dull pretty quickly in my opinion. I keep a razor blade for work because to me it doesn't make sense to trash a 50 dollar plus knife while at work and razors work really well for awhile at least. I have a decent knife for just everyday whatever stuff http://www.outdoorpros.com/Prod/Colu...e=2&cvsfp=8481
I've had many CKRT knives and I love em. I was bummed when my local dealer went away a few years ago. It's a lot nicer to be able to go into a store and actually look at and pick up the merchandise vs. looking at catalogs and online pictures.
gilbequick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:40 PM   #15

I carry a Benchmade all the time.(Except air travel)

The blade is an Elishewitz. Just a fine tool in general. Take it to get sharpened and hear:

"You know this is made in the USA?"

Yup, I know.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:44 AM   #16
Former sparky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter D View Post
Once again I agree. I never use a pocket knife for that very reason. The razor knife is the only knife that's every been of any value to me for doing electrical work.

My God man grow a set and ask him out already.
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:53 AM   #17
Former sparky

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricalperson View Post

Those are far from nice and nice from afar. I have had the benchmark 670 for a while it's a great personal carry knife with assisted opening.
http://www.benchmade.com/products/pr...aspx?model=670

I paid much less than the avertised price at the Harrisburg gun show.
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:00 PM   #18

I have several Klein knives both home and at work I think a empty beer can would hold a better edge.
I have a Channellock hockbill it it made by Camalis and (I think they are out of business now) it is a good knife.
About 20 years ago Buck had a "Buck Workman" line of knives you could get them at Graingers but Buck discontinued them. They were about the best knife I ever used. When I go to thr flea markets and talk to the knife venders if they have any I will buy them. I am trying to corner the market on what is left of them.
Lone Crapshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:25 AM   #19

Rewards Points: 10

I am using this knife... so handy. http://www.thehardwarecity.com/getPr...ml?sku=3362464
Jana88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:25 AM   #20
BR549

Rewards Points: 2,018

I have one of these:
http://www.kleintools.com/whatsnew/index.html

Its keeps an edge if I use a stone on it once a week.
Pretty robust japanese knife.
It will end up in the drawer with the Bucks, Gerbers and others when I find something else.
Sad thing it was $35.00. I could have had a real knife for that!

jrannis is online now   Reply With Quote