CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

Old 01-09-2008, 06:18 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to kkelter
Default Milwaukee Drill Repair

So today when I was looking for "bugs" for the mock service we were doing I came across an old Milwaukee angle drill in the back of the shelf. I tried it out but it didn't work. I asked my teacher if I could have it and troubleshoot it.

So I brought it home and opened up the handle. I first checked to see if the switch was the problem so I bypassed the switch and connected the conductors directly. I plugged it in.. nothing. Then I checked the brushes but they were fine. I proceeded to take the drill apart and clean it/check the coils. Everything seemed fine. Do you guys think its just burnt out? What should I do with it now? I really wanted to fix it. Any ideas?

I'll post some pics in a bit..

kkelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-09-2008, 06:51 PM   #2

It can't be the commutator being a bit dirty can it?

The armature looks a bit rusted.. probably has been sitting on that shelf for a while.

Here are some of the specs.

Serial #: 0014102557
1/2''
10 amps
Category #: 1100

Any websites with information on this drill or parts would be awesome.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:57 PM   #3
"A" inside wireman

Send a message via Yahoo to randomkiller

Did you check the cord for continuity?
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

"One Nation Under God"
randomkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:02 PM   #4

Yeah, I used a voltage detector. I really need a fluke meter. It would have been easier to just check the the load side terminals on the switch instead of bypassing it to see if that was the problem.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:30 PM   #5

That comm is really caked, it needs to be cleaned. The brushes won't conduct to the comm very good with it like that. If there's a lot of brush left (at least half) I wouldn't worry about replacing them, but definitely clean the comm! Try to clean the brushes though, you can try using a pencil eraser. You don't want anything that is going to change the shape of them.
gilbequick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:33 PM   #6

By checking the cord you need to do a continuity check, not just a voltage detector. A voltage detector won't tell you if the cord is ok.

By "voltage detector" you mean just an indicator, not a meter? If you're using a meter and get 120v from hot to neut and hot to ground that should be ok too.
gilbequick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:13 AM   #7

Congrats on attempting to resurrect an old tool.

I'm a little confused here. You inferred that you did not have a meter to check the cord, yet your OP states that you "cleaned it/checked the coils". How did you check those colis?

Best Wishes Everyone in 2008