CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-19-2011, 09:49 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: TN
Posts: 28
Rewards Points: 25
Default Milwaukee ECX bits

Milwuakee is making a new bit called an ECX. I got one of their multi-screwdrivers that has two different size ECX bits along with 2 phillips and two straight blades. The ECX is for those muliti-screws that can use either a flat blade or a square head. First time I pulled it out, I used it on a panel that had been opened before and the head was slightly boogered. It didn't grab, wound up flipping over to a straight blade to back the screw out. Probably works fine on virgin screws, but not on anything that someone tried to open with a phillips. They are available as a multi-screwdriver, as apart of a screwdriver set, and as a pack(5 or 6) of hex drive bits. I'm glad I went with a multi-driver, at least if it fails to work as intended I'll get some use out of it.

cavecom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE


Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 08-19-2011, 09:52 PM   #2
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 2,649
Rewards Points: 2,000
Send a message via Yahoo to gold
Default



I just saw these the other day at Lowes and i wasn't that impressed they seemed about equal to a husky screwdriver. Didn't warrant the 40 bucks IMO

gold is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gold For This Useful Post:
Josue (08-20-2011)
Old 08-19-2011, 10:14 PM   #3
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: State of Euphoria
Posts: 14,058
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavecom View Post
Milwuakee is making a new bit called an ECX. I got one of their multi-screwdrivers that has two different size ECX bits along with 2 phillips and two straight blades. The ECX is for those muliti-screws that can use either a flat blade or a square head. First time I pulled it out, I used it on a panel that had been opened before and the head was slightly boogered. It didn't grab, wound up flipping over to a straight blade to back the screw out. Probably works fine on virgin screws, but not on anything that someone tried to open with a phillips. They are available as a multi-screwdriver, as apart of a screwdriver set, and as a pack(5 or 6) of hex drive bits. I'm glad I went with a multi-driver, at least if it fails to work as intended I'll get some use out of it.


They're useless because not all squares are parallel to the slot. Some are 45 degrees off axis. Look closely


drivers 004.jpg

drivers 005.jpg
mcclary's electrical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:04 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Commy Canada
Posts: 942
Rewards Points: 500
Default

I like them for putting on devices. If you use a #6 they strip too easy and a flat is just clumsy. The exc is a good compromise.
randas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:15 AM   #5
Ambassador of Amps
 
TOOL_5150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: sf bay area, CA
Posts: 9,307
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

They work great on square D panel covers, other than that - I just like to stick with #2 square.
__________________
I HAVE THE RIGHT TO OFFEND ANYONE I PLEASE. YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO BE OFFENDED, YOU DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO SHUT ME UP.

Advertising space available. Inquire within.
TOOL_5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:16 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: North East Philadelphia, Pa
Posts: 266
Rewards Points: 250
Default

I think they are also designed to fit the Phillip/flat heads on devices. But they don't always fit them either. I also tried to strip 14awg ounce to no avail with the Milwaukee multi. The wire Bender works but that's nothing new. Its also to big for my pouch. It might find a knew home in my kids box. Realistate in my pouch is at a premium.
Electrical Student is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:48 AM   #7
Heavily Armed Member
 
HARRY304E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Reporting from the east coast of Moonbatchusetts..
Posts: 39,497
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrical Student View Post
I think they are also designed to fit the Phillip/flat heads on devices. But they don't always fit them either. I also tried to strip 14awg ounce to no avail with the Milwaukee multi. The wire Bender works but that's nothing new. Its also to big for my pouch. It might find a knew home in my kids box. Realistate in my pouch is at a premium.
That slot on the side is a knife sharpener.not great but it does work..
__________________
ES2 Flat Rate Software
HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:02 AM   #8
Wire Ninja
 
MDShunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Beautiful Cumberland Valley, in PA
Posts: 17,305
Rewards Points: 2,002
Default

I'm probably still gonna buy one. I buy all the new gadgets to see if they suck or not.
__________________
One reason not to give DIY advice:
Catch a man a fish and you can sell it to him.
Teach a man to fish and you’ve ruined a good business opportunity.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MDShunk For This Useful Post:
Josue (08-20-2011)
Old 08-20-2011, 01:40 AM   #9
Data Tech/Apprentice.
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New Zealand.
Posts: 8,432
Rewards Points: 2,050
Default

I bought one as an impulse buy for my old man to put in his carpentry belt and after handling it I dont think I'd ever be a big fan, its too short, too fat in the shank because of the nut driver feature and I cannot get the bits off the shelf at any hardware store or out of my driver bit set.

Despite my love for Mllwaukee I think I will stick with my Bahco ratcheting screwdriver or any other 1/4 inch driver bit holding screwdriver because I can interchange the bits with bits I actually use like #2 square drive and T30 Torx.

I'm pretty sure that actually is a wire stripper too Harry, there aint no way I'm sticking a knife in there
chewy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 03:09 AM   #10
Ambassador of Amps
 
TOOL_5150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: sf bay area, CA
Posts: 9,307
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDShunk View Post
I'm probably still gonna buy one. I buy all the new gadgets to see if they suck or not.
what would you prefer for drop ceiling cable installs: The extender type pole, fish sticks, or the string gun?
__________________
I HAVE THE RIGHT TO OFFEND ANYONE I PLEASE. YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO BE OFFENDED, YOU DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO SHUT ME UP.

Advertising space available. Inquire within.
TOOL_5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:34 AM   #11
Bucket Head
 
The Motts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Unseen University
Posts: 343
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDShunk View Post
I'm probably still gonna buy one. I buy all the new gadgets to see if they suck or not.
I do that, too. Most of the time they suck, but I still haven't learned.
__________________
I have a face for radio. And a voice for silence.
The Motts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Motts For This Useful Post:
76nemo (08-20-2011), Josue (08-20-2011)
Old 08-20-2011, 07:13 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,492
Rewards Points: 522
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOL_5150 View Post
what would you prefer for drop ceiling cable installs: The extender type pole, fish sticks, or the string gun?

fish sticks all the way
__________________
'I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies"
Thomas Jefferson
electricalwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 07:31 AM   #13
Heavily Armed Member
 
HARRY304E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Reporting from the east coast of Moonbatchusetts..
Posts: 39,497
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
I bought one as an impulse buy for my old man to put in his carpentry belt and after handling it I dont think I'd ever be a big fan, its too short, too fat in the shank because of the nut driver feature and I cannot get the bits off the shelf at any hardware store or out of my driver bit set.

Despite my love for Mllwaukee I think I will stick with my Bahco ratcheting screwdriver or any other 1/4 inch driver bit holding screwdriver because I can interchange the bits with bits I actually use like #2 square drive and T30 Torx.

I'm pretty sure that actually is a wire stripper too Harry, there aint no way I'm sticking a knife in there
You are right just read the spec's again but it does ok sharpening your knife......
__________________
ES2 Flat Rate Software
HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 07:35 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: North East Philadelphia, Pa
Posts: 266
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARRY304E View Post
That slot on the side is a knife sharpener.not great but it does work..
Electrical Student is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:33 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Dave L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Barrie ONT
Posts: 208
Rewards Points: 150
Default

I looked at the ECX bit but it wasnt what I needed. The driver seemed okay, nothing too special though.

I ended up buying a Wiha Zeno terminal block screwdriver that works really well, tons of torque no stripped screws. Wired 250 Estop switches - fun stuff!



I also ordered a Wiha Pozi driver yesterday as I seem to run into a lot of those
Dave L is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave L For This Useful Post:
Josue (08-20-2011)
Old 08-20-2011, 09:55 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 201
Rewards Points: 150
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARRY304E

That slot on the side is a knife sharpener.not great but it does work..
Ha its ok Harry it does kind of look like a knife sharpener but yes it is actually a wire stripper
oww-is-that-hot? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:03 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 201
Rewards Points: 150
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavecom
Milwuakee is making a new bit called an ECX. I got one of their multi-screwdrivers that has two different size ECX bits along with 2 phillips and two straight blades. The ECX is for those muliti-screws that can use either a flat blade or a square head. First time I pulled it out, I used it on a panel that had been opened before and the head was slightly boogered. It didn't grab, wound up flipping over to a straight blade to back the screw out. Probably works fine on virgin screws, but not on anything that someone tried to open with a phillips. They are available as a multi-screwdriver, as apart of a screwdriver set, and as a pack(5 or 6) of hex drive bits. I'm glad I went with a multi-driver, at least if it fails to work as intended I'll get some use out of it.
Also they are made for all new devices not for panels or breakers or anything else. They are nice for devices because you can actually install a device with just that one tool. Strip, bend, screw... wow, that sounds kinda perverted now that I think about it. Also, they are made for EMT connectors and couplings and for most 1/4 20's. Actually a pretty good tool if your doing a lot of devices, which happens a lot for me, or doing long runs of conduit, which happens a lot for me... so it's really just about what kind of work you do.
oww-is-that-hot? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:37 AM   #18
Former sparky
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: amerika
Posts: 2,327
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDShunk View Post
I'm probably still gonna buy one. I buy all the new gadgets to see if they suck or not.

Same here I picked one up when I saw them in a rep manned display at home depot. I have been using it around the house and it works fine on devices which is what the rep said they were for, not for A-B (combo screws or din style terminals). The stripper in the handle is a real joke. I have found the ecx bit is much better suited swapped over to the Klein 10 in 1 that I usually carry.
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:44 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 201
Rewards Points: 150
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
Same here I picked one up when I saw them in a rep manned display at home depot. I have been using it around the house and it works fine on devices which is what the rep said they were for, not for A-B (combo screws or din style terminals). The stripper in the handle is a real joke. I have found the ecx bit is much better suited swapped over to the Klein 10 in 1 that I usually carry.
No it actually works well, you just have to spin it around the wire once and then pull and you have a stripped wire
oww-is-that-hot? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:46 AM   #20
Former sparky
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: amerika
Posts: 2,327
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oww-is-that-hot? View Post
No it actually works well, you just have to spin it around the wire once and then pull and you have a stripped wire

Maybe on romex but I tried it on THHN/THWN with real poor results.

MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
spline bits sparky723 General Electrical Discussion 28 12-16-2010 12:59 AM
Let's talk auger bits! 480sparky Tools, Equipment and New Products 22 11-28-2010 12:27 AM
SDS bits for sale mark35 Electrician Swap 7 09-01-2010 12:04 AM
Drill bits deakn Tools, Equipment and New Products 34 01-14-2010 07:31 PM
drill bits electric mike Tools, Equipment and New Products 18 07-08-2009 03:38 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:18 AM.


Copyright © 2006-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PaintTalk.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com