Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

Old 04-10-2012, 08:11 PM   #1

Default Milwaukee Hackzall - How Can I Lubricate It?

So I have a Milwaukee Hackzall that I have been using to cut a lot of plaster ceilings. My problem is that all of the dust falls inside of the body and around the cylinder. This has casued the hackzall to not funtion properly.

I am thinking about blowing it out with compressed air - but what product should I use to lubricate the cylinder?

WIElectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!
Old 04-10-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
Ambassador of Amps

grease it, if that doesnt work, you might have to open it up and clean it some

Advertising space available. Inquire within.
TOOL_5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:08 PM   #3
Data Tech/Apprentice.

DO NOT OPEN IT UP! I opened a tool up once, the motor expanded and I couldn't reassemble it.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:15 PM   #4

Try silicone lubricant. It's thin, so it'll get in there, and lubricates dry, so it will not stay gooey and collect dust and turn into sludge. Plus it's not going to deteriorate plastic parts like petroleum based lubricants can.
Frasbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
Try silicone lubricant. It's thin, so it'll get in there, and lubricates dry, so it will not stay gooey and collect dust and turn into sludge. Plus it's not going to deteriorate plastic parts like petroleum based lubricants can.
This makes sense. I will try it out and report back.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
DO NOT OPEN IT UP! I opened a tool up once, the motor expanded and I couldn't reassemble it.

I would never open up a power tool. I would pay someone who new what the were doing first.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIElectric View Post
This makes sense. I will try it out and report back.
Hope it works out for you. It may not be as ideal as opening it up and giving it a proper cleaning, but I have had success with this method on my hammer drill and sawzall.
Frasbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:46 PM   #8
zap

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIElectric View Post
I would never open up a power tool. I would pay someone who new what the were doing first.
If you guys can't handle opening a tool up and doing a little maintenance then maybe you should pick different trade. I'm not saying doing a full repair but a little cleaning and lubricating.
tates1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tates1882 View Post
If you guys can't handle opening a tool up and doing a little maintenance then maybe you should pick different trade. I'm not saying doing a full repair but a little cleaning and lubricating.
This mentality says that a home owner who is an auto mechanic should be able to cobble together their own service....and have it opperate properly. I know that isn't true.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:34 PM   #10
Bababoee

I would open it. Just do it carefully. I fixed a couple of drills this way, and a giant hand blender. When you consider how much they will charge you to have someone else fix it, you would be better off buying another saw... You can get a reconditioned tool only from Millwaukee CPO for like 50 bucks and tech will charge you at least that much to fix it...
Old 04-10-2012, 11:13 PM   #11
BR549

I point it nose down and and pull the trigger, all of the vibration seems to shake out the dust. I would not add anything that would attract or hold dirt.
jrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:20 PM   #12
Ambassador of Amps

Quote:
sounds like you bought a ryobi or some crap.

Advertising space available. Inquire within.
TOOL_5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrannis View Post
I point it nose down and and pull the trigger, all of the vibration seems to shake out the dust. I would not add anything that would attract or hold dirt.
I do this after use..and bang it with the ruubber side of my screw driver.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:31 PM   #14
I void warranties

I clean ours out every once and awhile with contact cleaner then re lube them with dry molly lube.

Sometimes you got to get in there with a long q-tip too if the gunk is really caked in there.

Last edited by Jlarson; 04-10-2012 at 11:34 PM.
Jlarson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:47 PM   #15

I'm going to second the suggestion of silicone-based lubricant. The petro-based stuff eats plastic in a bad way, and so many others stay tacky and just attract a ton of crap. Seems to me that if you've got a ton of plaster dust in it, you'd need to blow it out with air or open it up. If it's beyond the warranty, I'd crack it open, but if not, I'd just turn the compressor on it and see what I could get out of it.
CanadianBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:10 AM   #16
Data Tech/Apprentice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOL_5150 View Post
sounds like you bought a ryobi or some crap.
Nah it was a Milwaukee, I took the motor out of the case and it expanded I dont know FA about electric motors but I'm assuming they had some kind of press to insert them back into the casings as it was a good 2mm larger than the space it had to be inserted back into. Perhaps the windings were under tension, I really have no idea except for the fact that sucker wasnt going back in. Curiosity while checking brushes really did kill the cat
chewy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:07 AM   #17

Compressed air for me. I wouldn't put lube in a tool unless the manufacture recommended it. It will hold dust and dirt and then be really gunked up.

I took apart a Dewalt XRP drill one time. It didn't go back together. Complicated thing.
nitro71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:57 PM   #18
Lurker...

Quote:
Nah it was a Milwaukee, I took the motor out of the case and it expanded I dont know FA about electric motors but I'm assuming they had some kind of press to insert them back into the casings as it was a good 2mm larger than the space it had to be inserted back into. Perhaps the windings were under tension, I really have no idea except for the fact that sucker wasnt going back in. Curiosity while checking brushes really did kill the cat

"the motor expanded"?