Snap On Tools - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

Like Tree15Likes

Old 01-23-2017, 10:47 AM   #1
Deplorable-Electrician

Rewards Points: 19,478
Default Snap On Tools

Snap-On Tools, made in China now?

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2017, 11:39 AM   #2
:-)

Rewards Points: 754

Trump should lock them right out till they agree to build a factory in Chicago. Employ one of the gangs.

^^ I wonder if that would work? Crazy city.

I'm thinking crime is the only real business there for the young. Maybe getting them back to work might help.

Like Japan you might have to be tough, stay there until it's bred out of them.
RePhase277 likes this.

I like perfect.

Last edited by daveEM; 01-23-2017 at 11:49 AM.
daveEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:18 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,878

It's like a lot of other brands as they expand more stuff gets imported.
micromind likes this.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:35 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 245

They make some of the best hand tools.
20-30 years later their designs have been copied and knocked off.
Where you could pay too much is when you got away from hand tools or tool boxes.
There is a ton of automotive specialty tools. Some of that was just re-branded between the tool companies.
The dealers would also sell Blue Point tools, looking like Snap-On, but did not have the same warranty, perhaps quality.

Putting officially licensed product on junk is a way of saying not made by.
Understandable with things like the Klein bottle opener or barbecue set.
But this is just a sell out. The first warning should be Snap-on in box retail stores.
For almost 100 years they avoided that route.

Just look for the made in USA.
active1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:58 PM   #5
Deplorable-Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by active1 View Post
They make some of the best hand tools.
20-30 years later their designs have been copied and knocked off.
Where you could pay too much is when you got away from hand tools or tool boxes.
There is a ton of automotive specialty tools. Some of that was just re-branded between the tool companies.
The dealers would also sell Blue Point tools, looking like Snap-On, but did not have the same warranty, perhaps quality.

Putting officially licensed product on junk is a way of saying not made by.
Understandable with things like the Klein bottle opener or barbecue set.
But this is just a sell out. The first warning should be Snap-on in box retail stores.
For almost 100 years they avoided that route.

Just look for the made in USA.
Oh so true.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:08 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 179

...and snap op warranty sucks a$$. $150 for a ratchet, and it's only warranted to the original purchaser! I thought the tool was warranted, not the owner...
foothillselectrical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:38 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,558

I bought some wrenches from Harbor Freight. They're made in Pittsburgh. Says so right on the wrench...
mdnitedrftr and telsa like this.
RePhase277 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:41 AM   #8
Deplorable-Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by RePhase277 View Post
I bought some wrenches from Harbor Freight. They're made in Pittsburgh. Says so right on the wrench...
Pittsburgh China? Much like 'Usa', Japan!!
active1 likes this.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:41 AM   #9
Deplorable-Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothillselectrical View Post
...and snap op warranty sucks a$$. $150 for a ratchet, and it's only warranted to the original purchaser! I thought the tool was warranted, not the owner...
Love their ratchets but have busted more of their sockets than any other brand.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
Love their ratchets but have busted more of their sockets than any other brand.
Yeah, I just ordered a 1/4" flex QR on eBay for less than half new price. That's the only way I'll buy them. I bought it to throw it and a small socket set in my veto bag for those days I don't have the Kennedy box out of the van.
MechanicalDVR likes this.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:10 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 12

A mechanic told me that snap on salesmen will only warranty tools they know you bought from a dealer. If you try to buy tools on eBay and return them they will likely turn you down.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Forge Boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forge Boyz View Post
A mechanic told me that snap on salesmen will only warranty tools they know you bought from a dealer. If you try to buy tools on eBay and return them they will likely turn you down.

That's 100% correct. That's why I said earlier their warranty sucks! I'm really not a snapper fan, but this ratchet will fill a very specific need and I got it pretty cheap.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:26 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 12

The way he explained it it makes sense they do it that way because it comes out of the salesman's pocket until snap on agrees to replace the tool. If they won't cover it it's the salesman's loss.

Forge Boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forge Boyz View Post
The way he explained it it makes sense they do it that way because it comes out of the salesman's pocket until snap on agrees to replace the tool. If they won't cover it it's the salesman's loss.

Maybe, but I've never seen the salesmans name stamped on the wrench handle. If they're going to put their name on it and sell it For that price, snapper should stand behind their product and trust the salesmans discretion, no matter where it was bought.
MechanicalDVR and Big John like this.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:34 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 245

The way it works is you or your co-workers need to keep doing business with the local dealer. Quit regularly buying the tools and supporting the dealer and they will not come around anymore. No dealer and no more warranty. What the dealer covers is up to the dealer. Not covering used tools is a way to discourage theft value.

For automotive it is still easier having them come by every week compared to going to a store. Craftsman are fine for some things but hard use would mean a weakly trip to the store. Craftsman is said to be coming back to the USA. The current quality has dropped over the years.

As far a hand tools Snap-On makes some of the best wrenches, sockets, ratchets, and other hand tools. Many tools today are copies of older Snap-On original designs. As far as durability it depends what your trying to due. It makes a difference just in choosing the correct tool for the job. Such as an impact socket is not as brittle as a chrome socket. The impact one will take a long life of hard hits but slowly wear. The chrome wears less, fits tighter, and flexes less, but is more brittle leading to cracking.

Automotive in the rust belt is a real test of tools. Buying 1 brand and getting something loose without damage or another brand and stripping it out giving you a bad day. Many techs work a piece rate, time is money. Strip a bolt and your on your own time. That's why they will pay a premium price.
active1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:04 AM   #16

Rewards Points: 1,672

I have a 25 year old set of Snap On wrenches someone gave me. They are beautifully polished and still pretty much perfect. However I have some odd SK and KD wrenches that I picked up here and there, even older, and they are pretty much perfect too, they sold for about half the price. I have a set of Craftsman wrenches from the same time period and they don't have the fully polished finish but they turn nuts just as well. (For the pups, Craftsman was made in USA back then, lifetime warranty and satisfaction guaranteed from Sears, and they really did.)

I think the real reason Snap On gets the prices they charge is because they extend credit to kids right out of tech schools starting out as auto mechanics. These kids don't make much money, they have no credit or bad credit, and are expected to show up for their job with a lot of tools. They don't understand credit, and they are tool whores at heart like the rest of us, so it's easy to get them to sign on the dotted line.

Snap On extends them credit that nobody should or would. A lot of the kids default, of course. So they have to jack up the prices to cover the cost of the defaults. It isn't the quality that raises the price.

Think about it, Snap On makes some toolboxes that cost more than a cheap new car. I understand it's a real nice toolbox, but it doesn't have oh say an engine, a transmission, etc etc... it's insane.

The last thing they want is people buying used tools, they need to sell new tools at highly inflated prices to keep the ball rolling. Not to mention a lot of those used tools are sold by kids that stiffed them ...

Last edited by splatz; 02-17-2017 at 05:01 AM.
splatz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:59 AM   #17

I'd put my Wright, Armstrong, SK, or Proto up against snapper any day. And, if fact, real tool reviews on YouTube did just that with Wright and SK, and they stood right there with snapper. And at less than half the price. Snapper does have a niche in some of their ratchet designs, which is why I ordered a used one and am not concerned with a warranty on it. But truth is, their warranty sux and their tools are over priced. I think they have just built a cult following and everyone wants to "be in the club."
MechanicalDVR and splatz like this.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:51 AM   #18
Deplorable-Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
I have a 25 year old set of Snap On wrenches someone gave me. They are beautifully polished and still pretty much perfect. However I have some odd SK and KD wrenches that I picked up here and there, even older, and they are pretty much perfect too, they sold for about half the price. I have a set of Craftsman wrenches from the same time period and they don't have the fully polished finish but they turn nuts just as well. (For the pups, Craftsman was made in USA back then, lifetime warranty and satisfaction guaranteed from Sears, and they really did.)

I think the real reason Snap On gets the prices they charge is because they extend credit to kids right out of tech schools starting out as auto mechanics. These kids don't make much money, they have no credit or bad credit, and are expected to show up for their job with a lot of tools. They don't understand credit, and they are tool whores at heart like the rest of us, so it's easy to get them to sign on the dotted line.

Snap On extends them credit that nobody should or would. A lot of the kids default, of course. So they have to jack up the prices to cover the cost of the defaults. It isn't the quality that raises the price.

Think about it, Snap On makes some toolboxes that cost more than a cheap new car. I understand it's a real nice toolbox, but it doesn't have oh say an engine, a transmission, etc etc... it's insane.

The last thing they want is people buying used tools, they need to sell new tools at highly inflated prices to keep the ball rolling. Not to mention a lot of those used tools are sold by kids that stiffed them ...

A guy at a dealership that I did work for had spent @$38k on Snap-on cabinetry.
splatz likes this.
splatz (02-17-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 06:22 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 112

When I first moved to Canada and was on PulpMill construction... having Brit tools was a good thing when someone borrowed a tool !....my wrenches were Britool and King **** with my linesmans etc being Elliot-Lucas . Then some enterprising person "burnt" all the chains off the groups toolboxes overnight and got the lot ! The site contractor replaced all our tools with Craftsman ones ...and not cheap stuff !
scotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 06:49 PM   #20
Donuts > Fried Eggs

Rewards Points: 262

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
A guy at a dealership that I did work for had spent @$38k on Snap-on cabinetry.
Yeah, at the end of the day it's their money to spend as they see fit, but that's like buying a Dodge Viper claiming you need it as a daily driver: The cost isn't commensurate with the value it actually adds compared to cheaper options.

Those boxes store tools in drawers. I'm certain there's high quality construction there, but not to the extent it actually justifies paying the price of a nice car to store your tools in drawers.

Snapon prices are 75% status-symbol and 25% high quality tools.
MechanicalDVR likes this.