CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

Old 07-03-2013, 10:53 PM   #1
Lucky to be Alive

Default Southwire Hand Tools?

Went to a local Lowes store today, to see if the Knipex and ChannelLock's were still on sale. Was looking to pick up a few bargains. Well, in the middle of a bunch of empty hooks, was a Southwire 9-in-1 Screwdriver. Talked to the sales guy, and he said all the tools and meters are being replaced with the Southwire brand.

So, it looks like we will have yet another brand adding their name to the same Chinese tools.

Voltage Hazard is online now   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 07-04-2013, 01:50 AM   #2
Heavily Armed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltage Hazard View Post
Went to a local Lowes store today, to see if the Knipex and ChannelLock's were still on sale. Was looking to pick up a few bargains. Well, in the middle of a bunch of empty hooks, was a Southwire 9-in-1 Screwdriver. Talked to the sales guy, and he said all the tools and meters are being replaced with the Southwire brand.

So, it looks like we will have yet another brand adding their name to the same Chinese tools.

Yup It's just a matter of switching labels.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:29 PM   #3

Southwire tools is Maxis tools.

Website launches shortly it looks like.

Our company has a bunch of their tuggers and knockout sets.

Seems to be good quality but I do not know the cost of them to know how they really compare to other brands.

http://www.maxis-tools.com/

http://southwiretools.com/
lj973gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:33 AM   #4

I actually came to this site for the 1st time to look for something about this myself. I never liked Lowe's selection of anything electrical really (my local lowe's doesn't even carry Service Entrance Cable) but these tools seemed at least a little bit nicer that the junk they had before. At least price wise they are trying be comparable to Klein, the Linesmans had file teeth on the outer edge to remove burrs from cut EMT and a romex stripper was left out of the package (probably by a customer trying to steal it) and it felt very solid.
smacky623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacky623 View Post
I actually came to this site for the 1st time to look for something about this myself. I never liked Lowe's selection of anything electrical really (my local lowe's doesn't even carry Service Entrance Cable) but these tools seemed at least a little bit nicer that the junk they had before. At least price wise they are trying be comparable to Klein, the Linesmans had file teeth on the outer edge to remove burrs from cut EMT and a romex stripper was left out of the package (probably by a customer trying to steal it) and it felt very solid.
You don't like Knipex?
Deep Cover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Cover View Post
You don't like Knipex?
I haven't seen them at my Lowe's, just Kobalt, some channellock stuff and Greenlee screwdrivers. The Lowe's near me is hellbent on shoving Kobalt down your throat and I just don't like them. Their electrical section is literally half an empty wall and then the stuff I mentioned before lol. Also, electrical section at lowe's is only 2 aisles, 4 if you counting lighting, compared to the Home Depot near me which has I think 8 aisles for electrical (4 aisles, both front and back half of store). Maybe my lowes just sucks
Old 07-05-2013, 07:02 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacky623

I haven't seen them at my Lowe's, just Kobalt, some channellock stuff and Greenlee screwdrivers. The Lowe's near me is hellbent on shoving Kobalt down your throat and I just don't like them. Their electrical section is literally half an empty wall and then the stuff I mentioned before lol. Also, electrical section at lowe's is only 2 aisles, 4 if you counting lighting, compared to the Home Depot near me which has I think 8 aisles for electrical (4 aisles, both front and back half of store). Maybe my lowes just sucks
That because kobalt is owned and made by lowes.
robnj772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:19 AM   #8
Licensed Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnj772 View Post

I thought they were owned by Snap-On. Originally the tools were blue point quality made in USA.

They are junk now.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnj772 View Post
Well, it's there 'house brand' made just for them, like Husky for Home Depot. I know Husky is made by Stanley (not in US anymore either) not sure who makes Kobalt now.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:07 PM   #10

I just saw the Southwire tools for the first time earlier today in the Lowes in the hillbilly mountain town that I'm visiting. I thought it was only because it was in a hillbilly mountain town.
jefft110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:42 PM   #11

Going to have to make a trip to lowes this weekend. I am curious how these tools look and fell
heavysparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:47 PM   #12
Lucky to be Alive

Well, my store only had the 1 driver. Your store having more than that may be hit, or miss.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:27 AM   #13
Registered Member

Why do companies whore their good names out and turn it into a junk brand?
HackWork is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HackWork For This Useful Post:
sbrn33 (07-08-2013)
Old 07-06-2013, 08:32 AM   #14

Because they see money to be made. Who wouldn't want a romex stripper from a company that puts out romex?

Also keep in mind that Lowe's (in this case) targets the DIYers. DIYers are cheap M-er F-er's. Those people are not looking for the $40 pair of Knipex linemen's. Not to mention that the majority of people working in the field aren't looking for the top of the line tools either.
Deep Cover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:22 AM   #15
Lucky to be Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Cover
Also keep in mind that Lowe's (in this case) targets the DIYers. DIYers are cheap M-er F-er's. Those people are not looking for the $40 pair of Knipex linemen's. Not to mention that the majority of people working in the field aren't looking for the top of the line tools either.
Then, I don't get this move by Lowe's. DIYers don't even know that there are tools for electricians. Why would they buy a Southwire driver for $14, when they can get a 12 set of Kobalts for $14?? The DIYer wouldn't even look for tools in electrical, or know they even exist there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Voltage Hazard For This Useful Post:
HackWork (07-06-2013)
Old 07-06-2013, 09:25 AM   #16
BBQ
Salty Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lj973gm View Post
Southwire tools is Maxis tools.

Website launches shortly it looks like.

Our company has a bunch of their tuggers and knockout sets.

Seems to be good quality but I do not know the cost of them to know how they really compare to other brands.

http://www.maxis-tools.com/

http://southwiretools.com/
I doubt maxis is making screwdrivers and such.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:31 AM   #17
Electrical Contractor

Southwire hand tools and Homeline panels
Old 07-06-2013, 01:35 PM   #18
Kind of a big deal here

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendon
Southwire hand tools and Homeline panels
And carlon blue boxes, and smurf tube
Old 07-08-2013, 12:42 PM   #19

just purchase some Southwire screwdrivers and a pair of Southwire linemans just to give them a try and they feel solid and comparable to my Klein screwdrivers and linemans. cant wait to get back to work tomorrow and put them to the test.
kyler_dorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #20
Licensed Journeyman

image-127190009.jpg

Just meters here. No hand tools yet.

heavysparky (07-10-2013)