Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

Old 03-15-2010, 06:31 PM   #1
Registered Member

Exclamation Tool List For State Competition

Below I am posting my tool list for the SkillsUSA State Competition. I have taken items out that I already have or are very expensive. I was wondering if anyone could either loan me, give me old tools you no longer use, or point me somewhere that I could pick them up cheap. If need be I could send them back after I am finished. I have no money of my own as of now since I have no job. And my parents are on a tight budget. Thank you in advance for any help.

Phillips Head Tips, and wood bits 3/8th to 3/4 inch for wood 1 3/4 inch wood chisel

1 six foot rule
1 lock blade
1 eight to 10 inch adjustable blade
1 each 3", 6", and 12" screwdrivers
1 holding screwdriver
1 plumb bob and cord
1 pair of tin snips
1 3/4 by 1 inch flat machine file
1 round file
1 3/8 inch socket set
open end or box wrenches
1 Roto Split

This is the minimum needed. I am putting the scope of work below, if you think of any tools that I may need or would help me that are not on the list feel free to let me know.

Here is the scope of Work:

Contestants will be given job, information and instruction sheets for wiring a residential or light commercial installation. All work must conform to the 2008 National Electrical Code. Contestants will demonstrate their ability to perform jobs or skills selected from the following list of competencies.
a. Safety rules and practices
1.Correct use of electrical and hand tools
2.Selection of work clothing
3.Maintaining a safe work area
b.Basic Theory
1.Use and application of wiring diagrams
2.Application of math calculations for circuits and measurements
3.Application of theory concepts for trouble-shooting
c.Install Service Entrance
1.Install main service panel
2.Install circuit breakers in panel
d. Install switch boxes and outlet boxes
1.Install bar hangers
2.Install recess boxes for outlets
3.Install gangable boxes
4.install octagon boxes
5.Install surface mounted boxes
e.Rough In, Connect and Install these electrical devices
1.Single Pole Switch
2.Three Way Switch
3.Duplex Grounded Recptacle
4. 120-240 volt distribution panel
5. GFCI devices
6.Surface Raceway
f. Install EMT Conduit
1.Make the following bends
2.90 degree
3. offsets
4.back to back
5. Bends will be made from measurements

Thank you all for your help.

pudge565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!
Old 03-15-2010, 06:42 PM   #2

You don't already have this stuff?
These are all tool I had by the time I was 17.

mattsilkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:48 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsilkwood View Post
You don't already have this stuff?
These are all tool I had by the time I was 17.
Like I said tight budget. The tools I have now are the minimum required for the tech school.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:54 PM   #4
Registered Member

Should have mentioned the date for the competition is April 14-16.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:16 PM   #5
jmp

i competed the last two years... here's what ya really need... they won't check for what tools you have or don't have

11 in 1 or similar
Beater
Linemans
Strippers
Dykes
Needle Nose
Hammer
Hacksaw
Tape Measure
Pencil/Marker
1/2 Inch bender
CODE BOOK!!!! BRING A CODE BOOK!!!!

That is all you will need
jmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:04 PM   #6
The Alarm Guy

Send a message via Skype™ to bduerler

hate to sound like an ass but what makes you think anyone is just gonna give you some tools
Old 03-15-2010, 10:07 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp View Post
i competed the last two years... here's what ya really need... they won't check for what tools you have or don't have

11 in 1 or similar
Beater
Linemans
Strippers
Dykes
Needle Nose
Hammer
Hacksaw
Tape Measure
Pencil/Marker
1/2 Inch bender
CODE BOOK!!!! BRING A CODE BOOK!!!!

That is all you will need
What level competition was that? You are in NJ I'm not sure if the competitions differ in anyway. If it is on the list I am taking it with you never know what they may ask you for. Your list looks like the list they game me for the district competition.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:13 PM   #8
jmp

i was in the NJ State competition... i did bring everything on the list and kicked myself for lugging that heavy ass bucket all over the place... do whatever you feel comfortable with though... and as far as i know the competitions are almost identical.... they give you a wooden frame mock-up to wire with romex and nail-ons and a simple conduit run.... if you can wire a three way circuit and bend 90's and box sets you should be fine....
Old 03-15-2010, 10:33 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp View Post
i was in the NJ State competition... i did bring everything on the list and kicked myself for lugging that heavy ass bucket all over the place... do whatever you feel comfortable with though... and as far as i know the competitions are almost identical.... they give you a wooden frame mock-up to wire with romex and nail-ons and a simple conduit run.... if you can wire a three way circuit and bend 90's and box sets you should be fine....
Ok thanks I will take it into consideration. But like I said you never know. And congrats on making it to states, especially 2 years in a row.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:35 PM   #10
jmp

thanks if ya have any questions send me a message... i'll offer any advice i can... i taught the kid whos competing this year for us... yea 6th in the first year, 3rd in the second
Old 03-16-2010, 07:27 PM   #11

Is there a link so I can learn about this competition? Or can someone fill me in on this?
michael3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:20 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael3 View Post
Is there a link so I can learn about this competition? Or can someone fill me in on this?
What would you like to know? I'll start with what it is. SkillsUSA is a technical organization for technical school students, both high school and post secondary. They host competitions on three levels, district, state, and national. To get to state you have to win the district competition. For national you have to win states. If you place at either state or national level there are scholarships available. The competition is a small wiring project with some conduit bending. What I had to do at districts was a circuit fed by a GFCI receptacle feeding a split receptical controlled by 2 three ways and a single pole switch controlling a light fixture. Receptical boxes 18" to center, switch boxes 48" to center, and the light box 78" to center. Half inch drywall was what we were to to set the boxes for. We then had to bend 2 parallel offsets between 2 boxes 3' apart 10" to first bend using 30* bends. If you want to know more let me know and I will try to answer your questions.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudge565 View Post
What would you like to know? I'll start with what it is. SkillsUSA is a technical organization for technical school students, both high school and post secondary. They host competitions on three levels, district, state, and national. To get to state you have to win the district competition. For national you have to win states. If you place at either state or national level there are scholarships available. The competition is a small wiring project with some conduit bending. What I had to do at districts was a circuit fed by a GFCI receptacle feeding a split receptical controlled by 2 three ways and a single pole switch controlling a light fixture. Receptical boxes 18" to center, switch boxes 48" to center, and the light box 78" to center. Half inch drywall was what we were to to set the boxes for. We then had to bend 2 parallel offsets between 2 boxes 3' apart 10" to first bend using 30* bends. If you want to know more let me know and I will try to answer your questions.

you explained it perfect. i had no idea this even existed. I am not new to electric (10 years). This is still a first for me.

Thanks!
michael3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:25 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael3 View Post
you explained it perfect. i had no idea this even existed. I am not new to electric (10 years). This is still a first for me.

Thanks!
No problem. There are probably a lot of people in the trade with no idea of what it is. Same as the NOCTI test.