CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

Old 04-22-2011, 11:00 AM   #1
Canadian

Rewards Points: 500
Default Work knives...

I have always carried a knife on my belt, since day one...
I currently use a Leatherman Wave, but the last year, it seems I'm stripping Tech Cable insulation about 3-4 days out of the week, and the blade can't handle running against the aluminum armor before it dulls right out..

What do you guys carry on your belts? I can't stand those razor knives, I was thinking something like a Buck 102.. It's not too big, comes with a belt sheath, and it's stainless.. Any opinions?
http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?...productid=3037

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 04-22-2011, 11:22 AM   #2
Jesus Scott

My best friend, always oh my hip.

electricmanscott is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to electricmanscott For This Useful Post:
HARRY304E (04-22-2011)
Old 04-22-2011, 11:25 AM   #3
Heavily Armed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricmanscott View Post

Same here i that with me all the time..

HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:25 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,002

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricmanscott View Post

Yep, I love that knife too...when I worked in telecom that knife and our scissors were our most used tools. I usually carry an Olfa knife too
cdnelectrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmanTA View Post
I'm stripping Tech Cable insulation about 3-4 days out of the week, and the blade can't handle running against the aluminum armor before it dulls right out..
I carry one of these:
I consider this knife to be THE BEST for stripping teck cable because you can run the knife flat with the hook pointing into the cut and the knife will glide through the outer sheath without having to score the aluminum. No, you can't sharpen it on a normal stone. I use a 'Chestnut Sharpener' from Lee Valley Tools, but anything along those lines, such as Klein's own 48036, will do the job.

It's a lightweight knife, too. Very nice. Mine has been beaten to death. Lost... found... beaten some more... Flips open with one hand, and does the job. I've done a full day of teck-stripping without having to sharpen it, and that day probably amounted to around 80 feet total of 350mcm/kcmil cable stripped for landing into a switchgear.

That having been said, I try to avoid stripping small teck... I ring the sheath then use the roto-splitter right through the sheath *below* that point so that when I pull the extra off it 'automatically' strips the extra inch for the fitting. Works wonderfully. Big stuff, of course, you have to strip manually. That same day mentioned above (stripping 80 feet of 350mcm) I had to prep 72 tech cable ends to go from a panel to a disconnect (18 disconnects) then from the disconnect to the motor. The panel-to-disconnect ones were stripped about 18" at each end, but I used the roto-slicer so I was able to do them all without having to actually strip one cable by hand.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:42 AM   #6
Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Canada View Post
I carry one of these:
I consider this knife to be THE BEST for stripping teck cable because you can run the knife flat with the hook pointing into the cut and the knife will glide through the outer sheath without having to score the aluminum. No, you can't sharpen it on a normal stone. I use a 'Chestnut Sharpener' from Lee Valley Tools, but anything along those lines, such as Klein's own 48036, will do the job.

It's a lightweight knife, too. Very nice. Mine has been beaten to death. Lost... found... beaten some more... Flips open with one hand, and does the job. I've done a full day of teck-stripping without having to sharpen it, and that day probably amounted to around 80 feet total of 350mcm/kcmil cable stripped for landing into a switchgear.

That having been said, I try to avoid stripping small teck... I ring the sheath then use the roto-splitter right through the sheath *below* that point so that when I pull the extra off it 'automatically' strips the extra inch for the fitting. Works wonderfully. Big stuff, of course, you have to strip manually. That same day mentioned above (stripping 80 feet of 350mcm) I had to prep 72 tech cable ends to go from a panel to a disconnect (18 disconnects) then from the disconnect to the motor. The panel-to-disconnect ones were stripped about 18" at each end, but I used the roto-slicer so I was able to do them all without having to actually strip one cable by hand.
I've got an old linesman knife from the 80's that I inherited, same sheepsfoot style with the red plastic handle. Works good, but it is a bugger to sharpen!
Old 04-22-2011, 11:45 AM   #7
Tabihu Juhar

Rewards Points: 2,000

Two in the pouch:

Gerber Gator

and a Stanley 10-049(w/replaceable blades)

Old 04-22-2011, 11:45 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,002

I used to carry one of those linesmans knives....but I have used that Klein cable splicers knife on some pretty large cable and wire, and it works well all around. It sharpens up well with a good kitchen steel or diamond hone.
cdnelectrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:33 PM   #9

I have the klien hawkbill knife and used it religiously till I bought a Benchmade 940. It isn't specifically designed for electrical work, but the quality, ease of sharpening, ungodly edge holding, and supper easy one handed open and close, I love it. although they are a bit pricey.
http://www.benchmade.com/products/940
JTMEYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:38 PM   #10

I like knives with a replaceable razor blade and have a clip on them. Curretly using a Kobalt one. Last one I had was a Erwin, got good service out of it but couldn't find another one. Like to be able to clip on to the front of my bibs or onto a belt.
nitro71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:26 PM   #11
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 2,102

Stanley 99 in the pouch, and a folding Sheffield knife that uses the Stanley blades too. I am a simple man, but mostly I object to having to sharpen a knife.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:28 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 166

I have a Leatherman juice on my hip, and a razor and splicer knife in the box. I used to keep the linesman knife but it seldom got used so I put it away, somewhere, haven't seen it for awhile to be honest.
Ninety is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:36 PM   #13

Benchmades here.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:55 PM   #14
Buzzy304E

How many of you work for shops that won't allow the use of knives - period?I thought it a joke when told this by a contractor 3 years ago, but the trend is continuing, and driven by insurance companies.My oldest son,a 3rd year apprentice, is at a shop that disallows knives and saws-alls.They have markedly fewer workman's comp claims, and are one of the top contractors in the country, accident-wise (dollar-wise,also) ,and that fact alone has firms begging them to bid on projects.I dunno, I'm a safety-oriented guy, but no knives and saw-alls? Weird.

should of......could of....would of.....might of?
ibuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ibuzzard For This Useful Post:
Rockyd (04-26-2011)
Old 04-22-2011, 10:08 PM   #15

I'm sporting a nice hole in my finger this week from getting it caught between a peice of emt and the shoe on my sawzall. I love how it smashes/pinches you 500 times before you can get your finger off the trigger.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:30 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuzzard View Post
How many of you work for shops that won't allow the use of knives - period?I thought it a joke when told this by a contractor 3 years ago, but the trend is continuing, and driven by insurance companies.My oldest son,a 3rd year apprentice, is at a shop that disallows knives and saws-alls.They have markedly fewer workman's comp claims, and are one of the top contractors in the country, accident-wise (dollar-wise,also) ,and that fact alone has firms begging them to bid on projects.I dunno, I'm a safety-oriented guy, but no knives and saw-alls? Weird.
The growing trend to protect you from yourself.
Demac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTMEYER View Post
I'm sporting a nice hole in my finger this week from getting it caught between a peice of emt and the shoe on my sawzall. I love how it smashes/pinches you 500 times before you can get your finger off the trigger.

Happened recently to me as well. Nuts.

Tom

davis9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:47 PM   #18

I worked for a place that banned all utility knives except for those made by OLFA. You have to hold the spring loaded blade out with your thumb, and it automatically retracts when you let off. It lasted a few months before they came to their senses.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:54 PM   #19
Beware Of The Apprentice

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTMEYER View Post
Just one of the reasons I LOVE my Panasonic EY4542

wsntme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:59 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 75

I carry a small klien knife that has a single blade and fits in my little pocket in my jeans. They make three sizes of it, but I like a small knife for stripping cables and wire. It's the one with the rosewood inlaid in the handle.

sparkymcwiresalot is offline   Reply With Quote