CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Tools, Equipment & Safety > Tools, Equipment and New Products

Old 01-16-2009, 10:20 PM   #1

Default Work Pants and Boots

I was just wondering what everybody wears for work pants? I usually wear Levis, but I tore a whole in the knee of a pair today which got me thinking of trying to find some tougher pants. Also anybody have any experience with Carhartt boots? I tried a pair on today, and I liked the fit. I have a a pair of Worx by Redwing now(I had to buy the worx ones because I have really wide feet), but after only 7 months the toe is ripped open exposing the steel, so I thought I should just start looking now. Thanks Ben

Benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-16-2009, 10:39 PM   #2
Registered Member

I wear the heavy Carhartt pants (the duck fabric I think?) For the winter I wear the flannel lined ones.

I used to like Levis but when they started wearing out within 3 months I switched to the Carhartt pants and I've never looked back.

user4818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:49 PM   #3

I'll wear mostly ****ie's khacki pants for service work and have coveralls in the van for going under houses. Digging or trenching I'll wear out an apprentice or just go in myself with some Lee Dungaree's, which I have noticed are not lasting as long as they used to. Got some Wranglers for Christmas and going to see how they hold up.

For boots I am on my second pair of Wolverines, not sure which style, just has 02115 on the label. My dad swears by Red Wings, though.
chenley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:18 PM   #4

I wear carharrt double knee jeans, and Danner boots. Those carhartt boots look nice, Id already had my Danners at the time, so no need for another pair. I think those carhartt boots are made by another company?
mikeg_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:29 AM   #5

I am also a Double knee Carhartt guy. Also flannel lined in winter.
This is unless of course I know I will be inside all day.

Usually Red Wing or Rocky boots. Non or lightly insulated in summer and 1000g Thinsulate in winter.
My local Mon & Pop shoe store specializes in orthodics, kids school shoes, work boots, etc. They get closeouts and seconds that are near perfect for about half price many times. The place is great.
Speedy Petey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:49 AM   #6
Wire Ninja

Pants; I almost always wear D!ckie's/Wearguard/Red Kap type uniform pants. They wear like iron and look good for years. Denim jeans just wear out too quickly and look bad.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 12:50 PM   #7

www.bdu.com

I get my military spec BDU's there. They're comfortable, they last long, dry quicker if you get the right material blends (the website has a guide to the differences in fabric). If you tear the "ripstop" pants they tear in an easy to sew line. And of course you got those large pockets to hold whatever.

For boots I used to wear my old desert tans, but after long hours my feet would be a bit sore, even in the morning.

I picked up Converse's military boots, and while I would not recommend them for summer (ironic since they're desert boots), they keep my feet warm, and the soles are incredibly soft and squishy and that foot soreness has disappeared. And for those it matters to, they're EH rated, and the toe protection is a non conductive composite.

http://www.desert-gear.com/converseboots.html
Frasbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 01:35 PM   #8
3rd Generation

I wear nothing but Carharrt pants now.
MF Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:15 PM   #9
Ambassador of Amps

Quote:
Originally Posted by MF Dagger View Post
I wear nothing but Carharrt pants now.
no shoes, no shirt, no problem?

~Matt

Advertising space available. Inquire within.
TOOL_5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:50 PM   #10

Default diamond gusset jeans

http://www.gussetclothing.com/ made in usa
brokenankle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:57 PM   #11
Master Electrician

im able to ruin any pair of pants or boots i get. i buy the 10 dollar wal mart pants
electricalperson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:38 PM   #12
Licensed Journeyman

d***ies pants and shirts - used to wear the liberty overalls - to rednecky even for me now
nolabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:29 PM   #13

Carhartt all the way..........i have had a few pairs for a year now and they're awesome....a little faded and and a few small tears but thats from getting caught on something.......best pants going!!!
elecapp79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:36 PM   #14
Registered Member

Wrangler Riggs pants, toughest I've found. They have a strong cross-weave design, if there's a rip it doesn't expand beyond the square the rip started in. Boots, pretty much a crapshoot. There's Hawthornes, Whites, and everything else.
Dembones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:06 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dembones View Post
Wrangler Riggs pants, toughest I've found. They have a strong cross-weave design, if there's a rip it doesn't expand beyond the square the rip started in. Boots, pretty much a crapshoot. There's Hawthornes, Whites, and everything else.
Those may be the ones that I got, not to comfortable, although seem pretty strong for being on the business end of a shovel.
chenley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:37 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDShunk View Post
Pants; I almost always wear D!ckie's/Wearguard/Red Kap type uniform pants. They wear like iron and look good for years. Denim jeans just wear out too quickly and look bad.

I got a couple pairs a few years ago and they really do hold up, now it's all I wear. I have about 5 pairs and if you can keep pvc glue off of them they will outlast levi's for sure.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:20 PM   #17
conduit dude

mostly d*ckies, i have a few duck carharrt pants. carharrt insulated bibs for the cold stuff. in the summer i kick it with steel toe sneakers. for the winter and quarry jobs (or any outside job) i just got some steel toe, steel shank georgia logger boots that are insulated. VERY comfertable once you get used to the heel. if you climb on rails of lifts or pipes in a roof, those steel shanks with the heel kick ass. very stable.
azsly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:37 PM   #18

Blakladers FTW! I had a few ****ies and Carharrts and they don't even come close to the quality and toughness of the Blak's. Another good quality brand are Skillers.
gatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 05:05 AM   #19

I wear 511tactical.com police/mil grade class B uniforms..shirts are great with all them pockets and pants have enough pockets that a tool belt is not always needed.
slowforthecones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:35 PM   #20

Carhartt pants and Redwing work boots.

william1978 is offline   Reply With Quote