CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-19-2011, 08:43 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Chris1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: I live in a complete state of denial.
Posts: 13,072
Rewards Points: 10
Question Angie's List

Do other contractors use it? Is it helpful to advertise with Angie's List? Thoughts? Ideas? Complaints?

Chris1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE


Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-19-2011, 08:52 PM   #2
Coffee drinking member
 
Wirenuting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: IL
Posts: 8,733
Rewards Points: 2,088
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1971
Do other contractors use it? Is it helpful to advertise with Angie's List? Thoughts? Ideas? Complaints?
I don't do side work but I'm always asked to. My wife started pointing people to that web site.
I just tell people to call the village inspector and ask for a reference.
I only do side work for family and I only charge then a hug from my grand kids.

__________________
Teacher, my brain is full... Can I go home now?

Last edited by Wirenuting; 02-20-2011 at 09:32 AM.
Wirenuting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:28 AM   #3
Fried Bologna um um good!
 
jwjrw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: nc
Posts: 8,092
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Yep. We get a lot of business from the list.
__________________
The more I learn the less I seem to know......
jwjrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:01 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Chris1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: I live in a complete state of denial.
Posts: 13,072
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwjrw View Post
Yep. We get a lot of business from the list.
What type of work do you usually get? Mostly service repair work? Or does it vary? Would you consider the cost to advertise on the site reaonable?
Chris1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:21 AM   #5
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 4,431
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirenuting View Post
I don't do side work but I'm always asked to. My wife started pointing people to that web site.
I just tell people to call the village inspector and ask for a reference.
I only do side work for family and I only charge then a hug from my grand kids.

Ok first off the OP said nothing about sidwork. Since this is in the business section I am pretty sure he is asking business owners,I don't think a trunk slamming illegal sideworker is going to be advertising on Angies list.

Second, It is illegal for the inspector to refer someone to an Electrician,that would be a conflict of interest.

I have a couple of very good reviews on angie's list and have been toying with the idea of trying it out. I am also curious about other business's thoughts and experinces with this .
robnj772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:24 AM   #6
I own stock in FotoMat!
 
480sparky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Cornpatch USA
Posts: 35,431
Rewards Points: 2,376
Default

The only time I encounter Angie's List is the occasional TV ad. Never heard another local contractor speak of it, nor a customer use it.











Are Angie and Craig related? And why are they so obsessed with lists?
__________________
Ark: ..............Arch: ................. Arc:
480sparky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:31 AM   #7
B4T
Scotchkote Installer
 
B4T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Long Island, N.Y.
Posts: 30,628
Rewards Points: 5,570
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
The only time I encounter Angie's List is the occasional TV ad. Never heard another local contractor speak of it, nor a customer use it.
Are Angie and Craig related? And why are they so obsessed with lists?
You need to remember that the real world is much different than Iowa..
__________________
Welcome to ET.. where the clowns don't need a tent to try and make people laugh.. http://steelturman.typepad.com/photo...f_clowns_2.jpg
B4T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to B4T For This Useful Post:
Chris1971 (01-05-2012)
Old 02-20-2011, 10:33 AM   #8
I own stock in FotoMat!
 
480sparky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Cornpatch USA
Posts: 35,431
Rewards Points: 2,376
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4T View Post
You need to remember that the real world is much different than Iowa..

How true. Farmers don't have to worry about running into buried PVC boxes with their plows.
__________________
Ark: ..............Arch: ................. Arc:
480sparky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:36 AM   #9
Fried Bologna um um good!
 
jwjrw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: nc
Posts: 8,092
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1971 View Post
What type of work do you usually get? Mostly service repair work? Or does it vary? Would you consider the cost to advertise on the site reaonable?

Service work to full remodels and everything in between. I keep 2 guys booked up for at least a week out just from list.
__________________
The more I learn the less I seem to know......
jwjrw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jwjrw For This Useful Post:
Chris1971 (02-20-2011)
Old 02-20-2011, 10:44 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Chris1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: I live in a complete state of denial.
Posts: 13,072
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Thanks for the info. I will look into Angie's List.
Chris1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:38 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
carryyourbooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: KATY, TX
Posts: 1,226
Rewards Points: 502
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwjrw View Post
Service work to full remodels and everything in between. I keep 2 guys booked up for at least a week out just from list.

i have registered at their site and had no luck yet. how did you get the calls started? did you offer a discount or similar? i am just trying to figure out to get the phone started to ring. currently, i have no reviews or discounts offered. what should i do?
carryyourbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:25 PM   #12
Fried Bologna um um good!
 
jwjrw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: nc
Posts: 8,092
Rewards Points: 2,000
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by carryyourbooks View Post
i have registered at their site and had no luck yet. how did you get the calls started? did you offer a discount or similar? i am just trying to figure out to get the phone started to ring. currently, i have no reviews or discounts offered. what should i do?

You have to advertise on AL to show up in the one of the top 12 spaces every time a
customer searches for an electrician. I advertise in the 2 higher income sides of town. Anytime members in those 2 areas search for an electrician we show up in one of the 12 spaces highlighted in gold. You have a 1 in 12 chance every time. Then you have to get current AL members to write reviews. The more reviews you get the more calls you get. Treat people right. Do what you say you will when you say you will and you will do fine. The list has been a real money maker for us.
__________________
The more I learn the less I seem to know......
jwjrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:38 PM   #13
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: missouri
Posts: 7,306
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwjrw View Post
You have to advertise on AL to show up in the one of the top 12 spaces every time a
customer searches for an electrician. I advertise in the 2 higher income sides of town. Anytime members in those 2 areas search for an electrician we show up in one of the 12 spaces highlighted in gold. You have a 1 in 12 chance every time. Then you have to get current AL members to write reviews. The more reviews you get the more calls you get. Treat people right. Do what you say you will when you say you will and you will do fine. The list has been a real money maker for us.
Can a service company or health professional pay to change their rank on Angie's List?Angie's List has several search settings. There is a search setting that will return profiles that have coupons/discounts first, but members can choose not to display these results.

This search option doesn't change the grades the company or professional has earned, and they cannot pay to show up at the top of the List for every search under any setting.

but you must pay to be in the top 12?
Mr Rewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:17 PM   #14
Fried Bologna um um good!
 
jwjrw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: nc
Posts: 8,092
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Rewire View Post
Can a service company or health professional pay to change their rank on Angie's List?Angie's List has several search settings. There is a search setting that will return profiles that have coupons/discounts first, but members can choose not to display these results.

This search option doesn't change the grades the company or professional has earned, and they cannot pay to show up at the top of the List for every search under any setting.

but you must pay to be in the top 12?


Advertising on the list will always get you highlighted in gold. They offer 12 spots in each area here. Any customers in the areas you advertise in will see you and 11 other companies in gold at the top. The people who don't pay show up below but the members always pick the ones in gold. They do not rank you. Your customer reviews determine your grade. How the list works for people who don't advertise I do not know. They list may not work for everyone but it has really increased our profits. On my web site is a link to an article they did on us and sent it to 17000 members.
__________________
The more I learn the less I seem to know......

Last edited by jwjrw; 02-20-2011 at 06:20 PM.
jwjrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:19 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 185
Rewards Points: 150
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carryyourbooks View Post
i have registered at their site and had no luck yet. how did you get the calls started? did you offer a discount or similar? i am just trying to figure out to get the phone started to ring. currently, i have no reviews or discounts offered. what should i do?
Get started and ask all your current and new customers to review you.
Jupe Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:22 PM   #16
Fried Bologna um um good!
 
jwjrw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: nc
Posts: 8,092
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupe Blue View Post
Get started and ask all your current and new customers to review you.

Unless your past customers are current members the reports they write won't show up. Go to this page for all the information you need.



http://company.angieslist.com/Visitor/AngiesList101/
__________________
The more I learn the less I seem to know......
jwjrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 03:20 AM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 36
Rewards Points: 25
Default

It;s like most things in life, they are not free. There are other avenues of work ... home warranties seem like better prospects that angies list. I couldnt give a rats ass where i rank on angies lists.
ask_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 03:23 AM   #18
Heavily Armed Member
 
HARRY304E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Reporting from the east coast of Moonbatchusetts..
Posts: 39,497
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask_eddie View Post
It;s like most things in life, they are not free. There are other avenues of work ... home warranties seem like better prospects that angies list. I couldnt give a rats ass where i rank on angies lists.
Agreed they charge to become a member so they can contact contractors when they can do it for for free from other adds...
HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 03:28 AM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 36
Rewards Points: 25
Default

Quote:
Agreed they charge to become a member so they can contact contractors when they can do it for for free from other adds
They charge each contractor they give the lead too just like service magic and the rest of the scams. DO NOT PAY FOR LEADS
ask_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:31 AM   #20
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 4,431
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask_eddie View Post
They charge each contractor they give the lead too just like service magic and the rest of the scams. DO NOT PAY FOR LEADS

That is not true you just pay for advertising not per lead.

It works for some so how is any different they paying for an ad in the paper or on google?

robnj772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another Craigs list gem BIGRED General Electrical Discussion 11 06-27-2010 07:02 AM
Craigs List blueheels2 Business, Marketing, and Sales 14 05-06-2010 11:24 PM
Tool List... bengie Union Topics 5 05-01-2010 07:45 PM
Yet another Craigs list.. leland Off Topic 2 02-08-2010 09:49 AM
Wish List for Santa 480sparky Tools, Equipment and New Products 99 12-03-2009 08:37 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:17 PM.


Copyright 2006-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PaintTalk.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com