CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 02-19-2011, 08:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question Angie's List

Do other contractors use it? Is it helpful to advertise with Angie's List? Thoughts? Ideas? Complaints?

Chris1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-19-2011, 08:52 PM   #2
Coffee drinking member

Rewards Points: 2,088

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1971
Do other contractors use it? Is it helpful to advertise with Angie's List? Thoughts? Ideas? Complaints?
I don't do side work but I'm always asked to. My wife started pointing people to that web site.
I just tell people to call the village inspector and ask for a reference.
I only do side work for family and I only charge then a hug from my grand kids.

Last edited by Wirenuting; 02-20-2011 at 09:32 AM.
Wirenuting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:28 AM   #3
Fried Bologna um um good!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Yep. We get a lot of business from the list.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwjrw View Post
Yep. We get a lot of business from the list.
What type of work do you usually get? Mostly service repair work? Or does it vary? Would you consider the cost to advertise on the site reaonable?
Old 02-20-2011, 10:21 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirenuting View Post
I don't do side work but I'm always asked to. My wife started pointing people to that web site.
I just tell people to call the village inspector and ask for a reference.
I only do side work for family and I only charge then a hug from my grand kids.

Ok first off the OP said nothing about sidwork. Since this is in the business section I am pretty sure he is asking business owners,I don't think a trunk slamming illegal sideworker is going to be advertising on Angies list.

Second, It is illegal for the inspector to refer someone to an Electrician,that would be a conflict of interest.

I have a couple of very good reviews on angie's list and have been toying with the idea of trying it out. I am also curious about other business's thoughts and experinces with this .
robnj772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:24 AM   #6
I own stock in FotoMat!

Rewards Points: 2,376

The only time I encounter Angie's List is the occasional TV ad. Never heard another local contractor speak of it, nor a customer use it.

Are Angie and Craig related? And why are they so obsessed with lists?
Old 02-20-2011, 10:31 AM   #7
B4T
Scotchkote Installer

Rewards Points: 5,570

Quote:
Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
The only time I encounter Angie's List is the occasional TV ad. Never heard another local contractor speak of it, nor a customer use it.
Are Angie and Craig related? And why are they so obsessed with lists?
You need to remember that the real world is much different than Iowa..
Chris1971 (01-05-2012)
Old 02-20-2011, 10:33 AM   #8
I own stock in FotoMat!

Rewards Points: 2,376

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4T View Post
You need to remember that the real world is much different than Iowa..

How true. Farmers don't have to worry about running into buried PVC boxes with their plows.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1971 View Post
What type of work do you usually get? Mostly service repair work? Or does it vary? Would you consider the cost to advertise on the site reaonable?

Service work to full remodels and everything in between. I keep 2 guys booked up for at least a week out just from list.
Chris1971 (02-20-2011)
Old 02-20-2011, 10:44 AM   #10

Thanks for the info. I will look into Angie's List.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:38 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Service work to full remodels and everything in between. I keep 2 guys booked up for at least a week out just from list.

i have registered at their site and had no luck yet. how did you get the calls started? did you offer a discount or similar? i am just trying to figure out to get the phone started to ring. currently, i have no reviews or discounts offered. what should i do?
carryyourbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:25 PM   #12

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by carryyourbooks View Post
i have registered at their site and had no luck yet. how did you get the calls started? did you offer a discount or similar? i am just trying to figure out to get the phone started to ring. currently, i have no reviews or discounts offered. what should i do?

You have to advertise on AL to show up in the one of the top 12 spaces every time a
customer searches for an electrician. I advertise in the 2 higher income sides of town. Anytime members in those 2 areas search for an electrician we show up in one of the 12 spaces highlighted in gold. You have a 1 in 12 chance every time. Then you have to get current AL members to write reviews. The more reviews you get the more calls you get. Treat people right. Do what you say you will when you say you will and you will do fine. The list has been a real money maker for us.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:38 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
You have to advertise on AL to show up in the one of the top 12 spaces every time a
customer searches for an electrician. I advertise in the 2 higher income sides of town. Anytime members in those 2 areas search for an electrician we show up in one of the 12 spaces highlighted in gold. You have a 1 in 12 chance every time. Then you have to get current AL members to write reviews. The more reviews you get the more calls you get. Treat people right. Do what you say you will when you say you will and you will do fine. The list has been a real money maker for us.
Can a service company or health professional pay to change their rank on Angie's List?Angie's List has several search settings. There is a search setting that will return profiles that have coupons/discounts first, but members can choose not to display these results.

This search option doesn't change the grades the company or professional has earned, and they cannot pay to show up at the top of the List for every search under any setting.

but you must pay to be in the top 12?
Mr Rewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Rewire View Post
Can a service company or health professional pay to change their rank on Angie's List?Angie's List has several search settings. There is a search setting that will return profiles that have coupons/discounts first, but members can choose not to display these results.

This search option doesn't change the grades the company or professional has earned, and they cannot pay to show up at the top of the List for every search under any setting.

but you must pay to be in the top 12?

Advertising on the list will always get you highlighted in gold. They offer 12 spots in each area here. Any customers in the areas you advertise in will see you and 11 other companies in gold at the top. The people who don't pay show up below but the members always pick the ones in gold. They do not rank you. Your customer reviews determine your grade. How the list works for people who don't advertise I do not know. They list may not work for everyone but it has really increased our profits. On my web site is a link to an article they did on us and sent it to 17000 members.

Last edited by jwjrw; 02-20-2011 at 06:20 PM.
jwjrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:19 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by carryyourbooks View Post
Get started and ask all your current and new customers to review you.
Jupe Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupe Blue View Post
Get started and ask all your current and new customers to review you.

Unless your past customers are current members the reports they write won't show up. Go to this page for all the information you need.

http://company.angieslist.com/Visitor/AngiesList101/
Old 03-06-2011, 03:20 AM   #17

Rewards Points: 25

It;s like most things in life, they are not free. There are other avenues of work ... home warranties seem like better prospects that angies list. I couldnt give a rats ass where i rank on angies lists.
ask_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 03:23 AM   #18
Heavily Armed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask_eddie View Post
It;s like most things in life, they are not free. There are other avenues of work ... home warranties seem like better prospects that angies list. I couldnt give a rats ass where i rank on angies lists.
Agreed they charge to become a member so they can contact contractors when they can do it for for free from other adds...
HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 03:28 AM   #19

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Agreed they charge to become a member so they can contact contractors when they can do it for for free from other adds
They charge each contractor they give the lead too just like service magic and the rest of the scams. DO NOT PAY FOR LEADS
ask_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:31 AM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask_eddie View Post
They charge each contractor they give the lead too just like service magic and the rest of the scams. DO NOT PAY FOR LEADS

That is not true you just pay for advertising not per lead.

It works for some so how is any different they paying for an ad in the paper or on google?

robnj772 is offline   Reply With Quote