CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 06-02-2010, 03:12 PM   #1
Enlightened Rat

Rewards Points: 500
Default The Blue Book Building and Construction Network

I signed up for one of the free Blue Book listings a couple weeks ago. One of their "Account Managers" called me yesterday and wants to meet with me on Friday at a local Starbucks. Has anyone ever met with one of their account managers? Are they just a mislabeled sales person? The last thing I want to do is sit around and listen to a 30 minute sales speech. I have zero interest in spending money on marketing with them, and I have zero dollars to spend with them even if I wanted to.

"The Blue Book Building and Construction Network"

www.thebluebook.com

Grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 06-02-2010, 03:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

They want to meet at Starbucks? Not your office, nor theirs? Weird...

millerdrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:38 PM   #3
Enlightened Rat

Well, to meet at my office I would have to choose:

A) My Garage
B) My Study (I'd have to move all the toys and papers out of the way first)
C) The front seat of my Ford E250
D) The Back of my Ford E250, She sounded kind of hot.....

Not too many good options. She didn't offer to meet at their office. Maybe I should have asked to meet at a nice steak house. Atleast then I'd know I'm going to get a nice meal out of it.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:16 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

I wouldn't waste my time.. You'd be better off driving around to every business in the area handing out cards.

But.. maybe you should see if she'll meet you for a drink somewhere in the evening since you said she sounded hot.
nitro71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:07 PM   #5
Enlightened Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro71 View Post
I wouldn't waste my time.. You'd be better off driving around to every business in the area handing out cards.

But.. maybe you should see if she'll meet you for a drink somewhere in the evening since you said she sounded hot.
I'm planning on doing that soon, I just upped my insurance to meet what most commercial businesses and property management companies demand. I had the bare minimum General liability.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:17 PM   #6
That Guy

They want you to buy advertising in the book, if I recall correctly the basic package is one ore two years, two territories, @ $300/mo.
Mr. Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:20 PM   #7
Fried Bologna um um good!

I pay to advertise on a similar thing here. 288.00 a month. I joined free and if people know who you are they can find you. But the guys that buy ad space are the ones that are seen first and who people usually call.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:23 PM   #8
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 2,034

Probably worth drinking her free coffee to pick her brain, as long as you have a hole in your schedule.

If I have the time, I'll often meet with salespeople that I think might have industry information that could be useful to me one day. I'm pretty good about turning sales calls on their ear, and it turns into me quizzing them about stuff. Every person you'll ever meet is an opportunity to learn stuff.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MDShunk For This Useful Post:
captkirk (06-04-2010), Grimlock (06-02-2010), jwjrw (06-02-2010)
Old 06-02-2010, 06:24 PM   #9
Enlightened Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sparkle View Post
They want you to buy advertising in the book, if I recall correctly the basic package is one ore two years, two territories, @ $300/mo.

So it is a sales pitch then, they want to pin me down at a starbucks and then play the high pressure game with me? I don't have much patience for that kind of stuff.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:25 PM   #10
Enlightened Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDShunk View Post
Probably worth drinking her free coffee to pick her brain.

If I have the time, I'll often meet with salespeople that I think might have industry information that could be useful to me one day. I'm pretty good about turning sales calls on their ear, and it turns into me quizzing them about stuff. Every person you'll ever meet is an opportunity to learn stuff.

True, I didn't think of it that way.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
So it is a sales pitch then, they want to pin me down at a starbucks and then play the high pressure game with me? I don't have much patience for that kind of stuff.
I doubt they will pressure you. They will try to show you how many potential customers would see your company and how the customers are on there looking because they already want the service you provide not hit or miss like some kinds of ads.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:30 PM   #12
Wire Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
True, I didn't think of it that way.
I met with a lady not long ago that was selling television advertising, and I spent most of the time talking with her about how she gets her leads, and where she goes to network. That was worth the 45 minutes I spent with her. I also spent a great deal of time selling myself to her also, since she gets around to a lot of business people. She might just mention me if the opportunity presents itself. She seemed like that sort of lady. She gave me a hug when she left. That was sorta weird, but whatever.
The Following User Says Thank You to MDShunk For This Useful Post:
captkirk (06-04-2010)
Old 06-02-2010, 06:37 PM   #13

I did the same with the ad guy from cable 14 here. Other trades advertise there so I wanted to find out about it. Then I had a friend who did 3 months at 2k a month and got no increase in business. I decided against it but did learn a little from the ad guy about how it works. He was honest and said the guys who get the biggest increase in business have to advertise for many months to keep your companys name in front of people long enough to trigger a responce. Made sense to me because when I think of HVAC guys 3 pop in my mind. They are on tv and radio all the time.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:40 PM   #14
Bababoee

I heard the blue book can do wonders for a business. She probably wants to get you to buy an ad but there is nothing wrong with that..Just tell them it all sounds great but you just dont have the disposable income to make it happen this year but will seriously reconsider it next year.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:44 PM   #15
Wire Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by captkirk View Post
I heard the blue book can do wonders for a business. She probably wants to get you to buy an ad but there is nothing wrong with that..Just tell them it all sounds great but you just dont have the disposable income to make it happen this year but will seriously reconsider it next year.
Yes, that's how you end it, but here's the customer objection that's impossible for them to close:

"I've really screwed up this year, and I have absolutely nothing in my advertising budget. I know now that advertising is important, but I just don't have the money. I want you to promise me that you'll call me for the next printing. Okay?"

If they try to counter, respond with:

"Do you have any other options that cost Zero?"
Old 06-02-2010, 07:36 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 150

For $350, she'd better meet me in the van...
millerdrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:03 PM   #17

Does anybody really look in the blue book? If you need a service what do you do? I open google, type in whatever, see what pops up. Then I open yahoo yellow pages and see what I can find then I grab the phone book. Just curious if other people are more likely to look in something like a blue book or just use the telephone book?
nitro71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:11 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 250

I'm signed up with free add last year....Also they email at least 4-5 bid leads a day. I've priced out quite a few that where in my area. Didn't land any but had some call backs to qualify my numbers. Most of the plans are on there website for pricing. If its large job I just send the link to printer.
cobra50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:57 AM   #19

I have never had success with an ad when it's some person calling me and selling me ad's.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:09 AM   #20
animal lover /rat bastard

Rewards Points: 2,484
Send a message via ICQ to wildleg

of course she wants to sell you services, that's her job.

Places like starbucks are great places to meet up with people, for certain things.

It can't hurt to meet the salesman, unless you can't say no. If you have a hard time turning them down flat, string em along for a while, then you can say no over the phone if that suits you better.

Fatal error: Using $this sht!ck when not in object context in /home/electric/public_html/includes/functions_newpost.php(1471) : eval()'d code on line 1 will turn your hair gray or give you veracities or maybe something even worse !
wildleg is offline   Reply With Quote