Finding quality employees - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Business > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Like Tree16Likes

Old 01-07-2016, 07:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 39
Default Finding quality employees

I recently had to let one of my electricians go and have been actively searching for a replacement. I have ad on indeed and an ad on Craigslist. Say what you want about Craigslist but by sheer luck I found an awesome employee there. Mostly all unqualified applicants though. I've asked local electrical contractor buddies and asked around supply houses but can't seem to find what I'm looking for. What I'm looking for is a journeyman with experience in service who can sell and complete the job. I found one and he is working awesome but am really struggling finding someone who is what we think even trainable. Where are you guys finding help? What has worked for you.
Dkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2016, 09:20 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 738

...the pay offered has a lot to do with finding experienced/quality journeyman
The_Modifier and NDC like this.
JW Splicer (01-19-2016), NDC (01-13-2016), Widestance_Politics (01-08-2016)
Old 01-07-2016, 09:29 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 998

I call the union hall. If they don't work out, I call again.
Charlie K and NDC like this.
dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dawgs For This Useful Post:
Charlie K (01-11-2016), John Valdes (01-11-2016), JW Splicer (01-19-2016)
Old 01-07-2016, 09:35 PM   #4
Semper Fidelis

Rewards Points: 4,314

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgs View Post
Some contractors have a call in for service guys for quite a while and then nothing again for years.
I would have to conclude that they found what they were looking for.
Suncoast Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:21 PM   #5
2 + 2 ≠ 5

Rewards Points: 360

Drop by a local SkillsUSA competition to see who's volunteering, and maybe keep an eye out for any future all-stars worth grooming.
derit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to derit For This Useful Post:
Pearce Services (01-10-2016)
Old 01-08-2016, 12:44 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 968

I'm not in a hiring or recruiting position, but I can give you some insight as the guy you're looking for.

The go-getters aren't typically sitting at home, the guy your looking for is probably working for your competition. You need to find out what your competitors are paying and add 10% or more. Post the wage in your ad. This is going to cause problems with your current employees if the wage is higher than what your currently paying them. Good companies (in my opinion) have tiered pay scales (apprentice 1-4, un-licensed jw, jw etc). But this will get guys that are working off the fence to come over and kick the tires, allowing you to sell yourself to the right applicant.
M.A.R and NDC like this.
freeagnt54 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to freeagnt54 For This Useful Post:
electricmanscott (01-19-2016)
Old 01-11-2016, 01:09 PM   #7
BDB

Rewards Points: 570

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgs View Post
I call the hall and they never have anyone to send
BDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:16 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 12,650

Finding an outstanding employee usually takes time -- say 25 years.

Talk to your wife.
telsa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 02:02 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 147

Anyone who is good and knows what they are worth. You wont attract us with a normal wage.

I would recommend posting the wage in with your job posting. Ill still probably ask for more...
haltonelectrician is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to haltonelectrician For This Useful Post:
cvbman (01-13-2016), Widestance_Politics (01-12-2016)
Old 01-11-2016, 02:16 PM   #10
CGW
Star Spangled Banter

Rewards Points: 2,714

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkes View Post
I recently had to let one of my electricians go and have been actively searching for a replacement. I have ad on indeed and an ad on Craigslist. Say what you want about Craigslist but by sheer luck I found an awesome employee there. Mostly all unqualified applicants though. I've asked local electrical contractor buddies and asked around supply houses but can't seem to find what I'm looking for. What I'm looking for is a journeyman with experience in service who can sell and complete the job. I found one and he is working awesome but am really struggling finding someone who is what we think even trainable. Where are you guys finding help? What has worked for you.
In my previous occupation I went through 3 employees one year (that was a lot for me) because they were just worthless.

1st guy wouldn't do some very simple things because he deemed them "unnecessary". 2nd guy just couldn't show up on time no matter what. The 3rd guy was just a whiney little punk who called me up one Saturday and left a voicemail telling me he was quitting. I had worked half the day wondering where he was at when something told me to check my office VM. He claimed he "didn't like how I ran my business" -- which translated into he didn't like doing work that was "beneath him". A few months later I got emails from him begging for his job back as he wasn't able to find another one. F you dude...

Last edited by CGW; 01-11-2016 at 02:18 PM.
CGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:20 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 546

You get what you pay for!
John Valdes and NDC like this.
Spunk#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spunk#7 For This Useful Post:
electricmanscott (01-19-2016)
Old 01-11-2016, 09:25 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 998

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDB
Then your hall is doing you an injustice and there is no benefit of you being a union contractor.
dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:26 PM   #13
CGW
Star Spangled Banter

Rewards Points: 2,714

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDB View Post

Where are you located that biz is doing so good the hall has no one on their books?
Old 01-12-2016, 05:30 AM   #14
Lep
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"

Rewards Points: 2,927

a lot of guys just want to do the work they are not really into selling the job.,I have toyed with the idea of hiring a salesman
Old 01-12-2016, 05:46 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 555

Fish where no one else fishes.

Everyone and their mom asks at the supply house (even I do). I ask at Plumbing, HVAC, mom and pop hardware stores, etc...... Everyone has a nephew, son, brother, brother-in-law, neighbor at these places whom may fit.

What about unemployment and finding a MECHANIC whom is older and got downsized, etc....?

There is even better ones, but my lips are sealed for now. You can figure them out if you think out of the box.

I heard people are dumping their trash, so be careful what comes up worker wise. I have gotten stung before.
electricbysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:01 AM   #16

Rewards Points: 1,204

What is implied in the OP is an electrician with sales skills, the residential service business dream employee.

When you think about it you're asking for a guy that's smart, but not too smart. You're asking for a guy with the intelligence and personality for sales that can also install productively...but not smart enough to know that with wicked sales skills he could make twice as much in sales in a job where he's not limited by production. Consider being in sales but your commission is limited by what you can install in a day.

The same guy can sell a million widgets from an office, get that commission and then sell another million widgets on another call. Take a look at the difference in prevailing wages of electricians and salespeople.
surenoproblem (02-02-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 02:07 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
What is implied in the OP is an electrician with sales skills, the residential service business dream employee.

When you think about it you're asking for a guy that's smart, but not too smart. You're asking for a guy with the intelligence and personality for sales that can also install productively...but not smart enough to know that with wicked sales skills he could make twice as much in sales in a job where he's not limited by production. Consider being in sales but your commission is limited by what you can install in a day.

The same guy can sell a million widgets from an office, get that commission and then sell another million widgets on another call. Take a look at the difference in prevailing wages of electricians and salespeople.
Companies and customers are looking for smart sales people these days.
Game tickets and lunch doesn't cut it anymore.
And selling widgets from an office is much different than up selling electrical work. There really is little to compare.

I do agree a guy that is in sales will do better in sales, if all he does is sales. I agree the guy on the job has an opportunity to sell, but is limited in these opportunities as the job comes first.

And sales in a residential market is very much different than sales in an industrial market. My only sales experience is in industrial. This is a job where you better know your **** or you get the boot in a hurry.
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 03:39 PM   #18
More than lead and elbows

Rewards Points: 1,130

Anyone worth their salt is already working, and if they are unemployed, it won't be for long. Most have something lined up ahead of time or something else to fall back on.

Money talks, BS walks...
Old 01-19-2016, 03:44 PM   #19
BDB

Rewards Points: 570

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGW View Post
Where are you located that biz is doing so good the hall has no one on their books?
There are guys on the books, we are just not in the same town as the hall. The town I am in is about 150 miles from the hall.

Last edited by BDB; 01-19-2016 at 03:46 PM.
BDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:42 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 527

Find a farm kid and train them. Vast majority are very good workers.
Galt is offline   Reply With Quote