CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 02-07-2010, 12:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,000
Default Old house rewire???

I was asked yesturday about rewiring a 1,000 sq. ft. house with plaster and they are wanting all the old wiring removed and are wanting me to rewire everything. My question is how do you all charge for this type of job? I can beat holes in the plaster where ever I need to is what I was told to get the boxs where I need to and to drill holes as needed. Just some suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance.

william1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-07-2010, 12:44 PM   #2
I own stock in FotoMat!

Rewards Points: 2,372

In no case would I ever consider giving a fixed price. There's too many variables and possibilities.

Give them a T&M quote, possibly with a Not To Exceed limit. You will work T&M up to that price, and if you're not done, you either walk away or negotiate for more work.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:44 PM   #3
Fried Bologna um um good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by william1978 View Post
I was asked yesturday about rewiring a 1,000 sq. ft. house with plaster and they are wanting all the old wiring removed and are wanting me to rewire everything. My question is how do you all charge for this type of job? I can beat holes in the plaster where ever I need to is what I was told to get the boxs where I need to and to drill holes as needed. Just some suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance.
The last one I did everything was pulled from crawl...I cut all metal boxes out used smartboxes and left lighting circuit how they were. They didnt want to tear up plaster and I priced it by the hour. There is no telling what you will run into and I would be leary or giving a solid price... Just me
Old 02-07-2010, 12:47 PM   #4
child please.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
In no case would I ever consider giving a fixed price. There's too many variables and possibilities.

Give them a T&M quote, possibly with a Not To Exceed limit. You will work T&M up to that price, and if you're not done, you either walk away or negotiate for more work.
That's what I did. Way too many variables. There's probably no insulation in the walls, which should make it easier to do.
NolaTigaBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:00 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Last one I did I came from above for most of the outlets, due to the crawlspace being inaccessible to most parts of the house from HVAC being installed.

House was built with sawmill lumber (actual 2x4's) and they had horizontal pieces running halfway down the wall. Broke two whip bits on that one. Mainly just did the kitchen, laundry, and den since those locations where all on one breaker. Wired those locations up to 08 code.

Have a full renovation in the rear of that house coming up this spring/summer.
chenley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:00 PM   #6
I own stock in FotoMat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaTigaBait View Post
That's what I did. Way too many variables. There's probably no insulation in the walls, which should make it easier to do.
The reason there's no insulation is so they could install fire blocks.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:03 PM   #7

Quote:
You mean the perline between studs? And diagional perlines also....
Hate remodels with rock/plaster on the walls !
Old 02-07-2010, 01:06 PM   #8
child please.....

Quote:
Most of the house here, the old ones anyways, don't have the fireblocks. They just have a 8 or 10 foot void from the bottom to top. The new houses almost all have the damn fireblocks.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:07 PM   #9
child please.....

Quote:
And diagional perlines also....
Those are the ones in the corners of the house. After Katrina, I really got to see how alot of houses were constructed.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:09 PM   #10
I own stock in FotoMat!

Quote:
Most of the house here, the old ones anyways, don't have the fireblocks. They just have a 8 or 10 foot void from the bottom to top. The new houses almost all have the damn fireblocks.
In all my years, I have never wired a new house with fireblocks. The only time I encounter them is in remodel work on older homes.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:11 PM   #11

Quote:
In all my years, I have never wired a new house with fireblocks. The only time I encounter them is in remodel work on older homes.

Me too! But I wouldnt put it past the nail bangers!
Old 02-07-2010, 01:11 PM   #12
child please.....

Quote:
Really?....Crazy how different parts of the country do different things. Every new house here has them.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:17 PM   #13

Lucky for me the house has a 1/2 to 3/4 basement in it and the rest has a crawl space of about 4'.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:18 PM   #14
I own stock in FotoMat!

Quote:
Really?....Crazy how different parts of the country do different things. Every new house here has them.
Maybe you have a local building code that requires them.

Maybe all your framers are stuck in the past..... doing things 'the old-fashioned way' and never thinking beyond that.

Point: Julia Child had a guest on her show on time, explaining how she cooked a Thanksgiving turkey. Just prior to putting the bird in the pan, she (the guest cook) took a knife and cut a chunk off the turkey. Julia asked why she did that, and she explained that's the way her mother always did it.

Well, it just so happened that her mother was in the audience, so during a commercial break, they asked her (the mother) why she did that. Her response: "It's something I learned from my mother. I don't know why she did it, but she always did."

So the two women, curious as to why Grandma would automatically cut a hunk of turkey off before putting in the pan, went to the nursing home to ask her.

She expained, "Well, when Frank and I got married back in 1935, we got a roasting pan as a wedding gift. Problem was, it wasn't big enough for the turkeys we raised, so I always had to cut a peice off to fit it into the pan."

Maybe framers in your area are related to these women.
chicken steve (09-18-2012)
Old 02-07-2010, 01:19 PM   #15
child please.....

My guess is the local code.
The Following User Says Thank You to NolaTigaBait For This Useful Post:
BBQ (09-18-2012)
Old 02-07-2010, 01:36 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 250
Send a message via AIM to Murphy

not insulation is good but you still never know what u will run into in these old walls. plaster and lath fall inside the wall and makes it impossible to fish sometimes. but considering they understand holes must be cut, dont kill yourself cut as many needed to get it done, if they dont like the idea of time and material charge a fairly high price.
Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:37 PM   #17
Chairman of the Bored

Rewards Points: 2,016

Quote:
Originally Posted by william1978 View Post
Lucky for me the house has a 1/2 to 3/4 basement in it and the rest has a crawl space of about 4'.
how about attic space?
the ones with floor slates for walking make for more labor of course...
If t/m is a no go for them, take some time and study the place, top to bottom and give a price per outlet/switch.
BuzzKill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:11 PM   #18
Can't Remember

Rewards Points: 2,032

I did a dining room this week. 1890's house. No damage to walls, the ceiling was gone from a water leak. Two circuits, 5 receptacles, two three way switches, fan box overhead. All knob and tube removed, hacked nm to kt repaired, and a couple of small repairs = $1000.00 Probably closer to 1200.00, but they are good repeat customers and thats what I estimated. Lots of mess, Mike Rowe/Dirty Jobs crawlspace. Metal old works cut in and attached to the lathe and plaster.
nrp3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:21 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzKill View Post
how about attic space?
the ones with floor slates for walking make for more labor of course...
If t/m is a no go for them, take some time and study the place, top to bottom and give a price per outlet/switch.
I haven't been in there yet. All of this is what I have been told by creditable sorce. Going to have to go and check it out real good like you say.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:40 PM   #20
Wyome

Rewards Points: 518

Those diagonal fire blocks or sway bracing are just the pits. I am rewiring my parents' house, and it has them. Every 3-6 months I load up and drive over there to do a little more.

te12co2w is offline   Reply With Quote